Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught today

• 18-04-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

sorry for the double up of music, just wanted to get this one put up quick!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hurler014

sorry for the double up of music, just wanted to get this one put up quick!

Well done Lee, the Clare is producing too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Cracking fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Lovely fish. Wish they were like that where i fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Nice fish and imagine dragons! I'm impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

What a fish!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 blasket

Hello Lee,
    Great video, we met on the river after you caught it if you remember?
    We have been back and tried your method but certainly haven't mastered it!!!, can i just ask what knot you tie a dropper on with was i right in thinking you were using froghair? is 6lbs ok? It was great to meet you as it fired us up with enthusiasm, it can get discouraging not catching and i am desperate for my young lad to catch something bigger than 6 inches!!
    Tight Lines
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

Hey James sent you a Pm there. I have far from mastered it, still miss a lot of fish and lose fish due to been too slow on the strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 blasket

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Lee. Yesterday he took my son and i fishing, showing us how he fishes the upstream nymph, he showed us his setup, where to use it and let my son use his rod with three valuable flies attached!! It is really fantastic to know there are fisherman around who are so generous with their time and knowledge, such a change from the stories of poachers , secret methods, secret spots etc. We had a great time , my son caught two with Lee i finally caught one and Lee caught a good few despite the fact he was mostly helping us. He did hook an absolute beauty, a big fat barrel of gold but it got away which only added to the excitement. Thanks Lee!!!

blasket wrote: »
    Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Lee. Yesterday he took my son and i fishing, showing us how he fishes the upstream nymph, he showed us his setup, where to use it and let my son use his rod with three valuable flies attached!! It is really fantastic to know there are fisherman around who are so generous with their time and knowledge, such a change from the stories of poachers , secret methods, secret spots etc. We had a great time , my son caught two with Lee i finally caught one and Lee caught a good few despite the fact he was mostly helping us. He did hook an absolute beauty, a big fat barrel of gold but it got away which only added to the excitement. Thanks Lee!!!

No problem, was a great day despite the rain! Pleased Jacob got a couple would have been nice to see that bigger one! think i am over losing it.... just! any questions feel free to mail me i'll do my best to answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

blasket wrote: »

Reading this made my day. Great post, well done to you and the young lad. moments like that stay with you for life.
    Also fair play Lee. wish there were more like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

I hate upstream nymphing Nice fish tho.

lol why do you hate it?

Never Learned how to do it, I just use a dry fly, then on the dropper i use a nymph then.

Never Learned how to do it, I just use a dry fly, then on the dropper i use a nymph then.

its good to have it in the arsenal! in fact its probably the best method to have! it will out fish most other methods!

How did you learn it?,
    The only problem for me is hooking the fish while retrieving the line.. Whats your Setup? Or flies you use? could you pm me?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

its good to have it in the arsenal! in fact its probably the best method to have! it will out fish most other methods!

A detailed description would be great as the kinetics of the method without an indicator tend to baffle me a little i.e how to present the nymph properly and in such a fashion that the end of the fly line will detect a take. For me at least it seems a take could come and go before any contact is shown on the tip of the fly line. But this is clearly a very effective method as you have shown.

Hi,

Could you meaby put a vid up on youtube?! showing how to upstream nymph?
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Agree with this (I use a very similar method except I use Roman Moser braided connector as my indicator) , these are expensive as connectors go but are very slim and have a nice red sleeve. I give it and the last 18" of line a coat of Dilly Wax a few times throughout a session.

I read this years ago, didn't really believe at the time but do now.

You can get into an almost trance like state when upstream nymping and just sense when a take is about to or has occured. I fish some fast rivers so a drift might last just a few secs so you are casting a lot often at close range. Any non normal movement on the line/indicator is either the bottom or a fish! Often the takes are very subtle but as I said you can get this intense concentration this happening that you just become aware of it....

I have fished a few times recently with a mate from UK - he has not much fly fishing experience. We have fished side by side on a really good run taking turns to cast - he will miss take after take and not even register most until I tell him to strike. Suppose its just practise!

Oliver Edwards videos are very good for this and other nymphing techniques. There is also this book which whilst a bit dull is very good!
    http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Nymphing-Tactics-Techniques-Around/dp/0811707415

I am hitting the Nore this weekend and hoping to use dries exclusivley, if upstream nymph is the most efficent, upstream dry is definitly the most pleasurable!!!

Bromium wrote: »
    A detailed description would be great as the kinetics of the method without an indicator tend to baffle me a little i.e how to present the nymph properly and in such a fashion that the end of the fly line will detect a take. For me at least it seems a take could come and go before any contact is shown on the tip of the fly line. But this is clearly a very effective method as you have shown.

takes will come and go with out registering if you are not tracking the flies with the rod. there is very little fly line on the water. this should be moved slightly faster than the water to keep in touch with the flies.

Ill try and put a video together over the weekend if i get out. im not an expert still learning a lot every time i am out.

there is very little fly line on the water. this should be moved slightly faster than the water to keep in touch with the flies

This could be exactly the mistake I have been making I have been letting the nymphs dead drift in the current allowing perhaps a little too much flyline to gather in front of me before stripping in. Do you use a sinkant on your leader up to the flyline as mine seems to take an age to break the surface tension even with a sinkant but a slightly faster than flow rate retrieve may sort this issue out too.

Cheers

• Advertisement

i use leader sink like a muddy paste, fullers earth is good too (i think that is what it is called). i gink the bejaysus out of my braided loop too to keep it up on the surface.

i use leader sink like a muddy paste, fullers earth is good too (i think that is what it is called). i gink the bejaysus out of my braided loop too to keep it up on the surface.

I use the Orvis mud and seems to work pretty well on tippet and lighter end of the tapered leader it just struggles a bit with heavier butt section end.

Thanks for the advice.

i dont use tapered leader its not necessary with upstream nymphing. i use 6lb flurocarbon straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Don't discount it it can be very effective when trout aren't on dries.
    It's really very simple if you can dry fly fish properly you will have little problem mastering the nymphing.

i dont use tapered leader its not necessary with upstream nymphing. i use 6lb flurocarbon straight through.

That's interesting. I prefer a tapered leader myself (not the shop bought ones) you can see it on the surface (the knots help) and I find it easier to see the takes when using the leader.

Hi,

Could you meaby put a vid up on youtube?! showing how to upstream nymph?
    thanks!

There is a lad on you tube called johnathan Barnes he has some very good videos worth looking at.

Flysfisher wrote: »
    That's interesting. I prefer a tapered leader myself (not the shop bought ones) you can see it on the surface (the knots help) and I find it easier to see the takes when using the leader.

when i upstream nymph the flies are very heavy and pull the leader under, its only a short leader and the short casts and heavy flies means turnover is irrelevant. i have read that tying in a section of heavier brightly coloured line can be useful to help show where the flies are so you know how fast to be tracking with the rod.

when i upstream nymph the flies are very heavy and pull the leader under, its only a short leader and the short casts and heavy flies means turnover is irrelevant. i have read that tying in a section of heavier brightly coloured line can be useful to help show where the flies are so you know how fast to be tracking with the rod.

Oh I see it's more of a Czech nymphing style you prefer.

yeah but im kind of fed up reading books that say czech nymphing and they mean french style or polish style or high sticking, no 2 people seem to be calling the same style by the same name. so i refer to upstream nymphing as the act of putting nymphs upstream. i know they are all different and meant for different water types but ill be buggered if im changing my leader every five minutes as i move up 1 stream to change back again on the next. i've adapted a style that seems to work fairly well on most water. except flat still water. b using a P.T.N on the point i can fish the tail end of runs as a more traditional upstream nymph then fish the faster water by maybe changing to a heavier fly to suit rather than change the entire leader setup.

• Advertisement

yeah but im kind of fed up reading books that say czech nymphing and they mean french style or polish style or high sticking, no 2 people seem to be calling the same style by the same name. so i refer to upstream nymphing as the act of putting nymphs upstream. i know they are all different and meant for different water types but ill be buggered if im changing my leader every five minutes as i move up 1 stream to change back again on the next. i've adapted a style that seems to work fairly well on most water. except flat still water. b using a P.T.N on the point i can fish the tail end of runs as a more traditional upstream nymph then fish the faster water by maybe changing to a heavier fly to suit rather than change the entire leader setup.

Yes i would broadly agree there are too many names for nymphing, we have traditional (skues, kite, sawyer, etc, etc) the yanks high sticking, indicating 'bobbers', new zealand style, then along come the Czechs, the boys in France have a go at it, now i believe the Spanish have their style too. What about irish nymphing???
    I just stick to a traditional style simple but effective nymphing method never really seen the need to fix it if its not broken.

Advertisement