Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the UK government will henceforth require compliance with Open Document Format (ODF)

• 24-07-2014 1:13pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://opensource.com/government/14/7/uk-government-makes-big-step-forward-open-document-standards
    the Minister for the Cabinet Office, Sir Francis Maude, announced this week that the UK government will henceforth require compliance with Open Document Format (ODF) in software purchases in all public administrations. ODF will be required for documents that are to be shared or to be collaborated on; PDF/A or HTML compliance will be required for viewable government documents.

It doesn't mean they'll be using open/libre office - but it makes it more feasible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"Information on the ODF standard and how to move your organisation to ODF-compliant document solutions.

The UK government has selected ODF 1.2 as the standard for editable office documents to be used across government. ODF1.2 was selected as the standard for government because it:

allows citizens, businesses and other organisations to share and edit documents with government - and the other way round
    allows people working in government to share and edit documents with each other
    is compatible with a wide range of software
    is a reliable long-term solution for storing and accessing information

This guidance gives general information on the standard, as well as more detailed information for chief technology officers and government procurement officers."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/open-document-format-odf-guidance-for-uk-government

Is it true that Office 2016 (or whatever is the newest MS Office version called) can't open odf?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I've not looked at the new version first hand but looking at this it seems that it depends on what version of the new version you use.

For the common word on windows, it seems, ODF is supported (1.2 I imagine since that is what the 2013 & O365 versions support) with its usual dire warnings if you don't use a microsoft standard when saving. Though, if you're on a mac you're out of luck altogether.

What's interesting in that article is that in some cases you are required to upload a copy of the file to MS's servers to be converted. Has there been a decision yet in the US on whether MS can be compelled to provide any information held its servers here in Ireland? This one could have a big impact - especially if governments other than the US wanted to use both ODF & MS Word... copies of the files would be uploaded to MS servers to be converted from which they would now be available to the US security.

Meanwhile, it seems MS is not happy with the UK's decision earlier in the year. After all that hard work [& money] spent getting ISO certification it seems some people, in the UK at least, have sensible questions over what exactly is a standard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

The UK government have signed a deal for libre office support.
    The open source software deal, which is being provided by one of the open sourcer's partners, Collabora GovOffice, is apparently intended to "complement or replace" existing office applications, said the Crown Commercial Services in a statement.

Over the years I seen a number of such announcements from the UK but previously they've turned out to be a negotiating tactic. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what this turns out to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Refor1981

Been using OpenOffice/LibreOffice for years now, love it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Love Libre myself. I'm sure there's a few features that it lacks in comparison to MS Office, but still great all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Refor1981

Itzy wrote: »
    Love Libre myself. I'm sure there's a few features that it lacks in comparison to MS Office, but still great all the same.

Thats great I usually find if theres something I did beforeiin ms office that its available in libre just idfferent menu :)

Advertisement