Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid vs Road bike

• 24-07-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm thinking of buying a new bike as soon as possible and was wondering about the key differences between hybrid and road bikes and which would be more suitable for me.

I haven't had a bike since I was a kid (now mid twenties). I'm thinking of getting one for just going in and out of work mainly, which is only about 3km each way, but wouldn't mind the option of being able to take it on longer cycles too assuming I get more into it. At the moment I really just use Dublin Bikes and I'm getting sick of them because they are difficult to cycle.

Any help is much appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I was in the same boat a couple years ago, wasn't sure what to get. I got a Hybrid and it's great, I still use it for cycling to and from work, 15km each way. I've since bought a road bike for longer cycles. Can't say you'd be going wrong with either really, but if you catch the cycling bug down the line you may regret not getting the road bike in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

You already dislike a bike that's to heavy and has very low gearing... You know you're going to end up buying a road bike anyway whether you buy a hybrid as well is up to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

road bike - they look much cooler and they do what they say on the tin (cycle on roads)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I bought a hybrid about 2 1\2 years ago as i was unsure like yourself. The more i ride it the more i enjoyed cycling. I wanted to change it after about 6 months but couldn't due to finances.
    .i finally got a road bike about 6 weeks ago and i haven't looked back since.

if you want to do longer spins id go for a road bike.

if there's one thing i know about cycling its that everyone has a different opinion and you have to decide yourself based on what you want and on how much you can spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

Depends what you want it for. I have a hybrid which is great for going to the shops, touring and cycling on snow and ice ( not in Ireland). Road bike is lighter and more comfy for long road spins. Also looks way cooler imo. but more difficult to carry stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 phelimoc

Cheers for the replies.

Am leaning towards a road bike to be honest but just wasn't sure if it would be practical in Dublin!

Have the full €1,000 to spend on the bike to work scheme basically, so I know it'll be mid-range at best but figure I would get something decent in either road/hybrid for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If you try a hybrid be sure to get one with handle-bar grips that will allow you to lean forward more and makes the ride a lot more comfortable than keeping the hands on the horizontal bar all the time.

ergon-gc3-ergonomic-bicycle-grip.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

phelimoc wrote: »
    Am leaning towards a road bike to be honest but just wasn't sure if it would be practical in Dublin!

A road bike is fine in Dublin. Commuting on one since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

mrcheez wrote: »
    If you try a hybrid be sure to get one with handle-bar grips that will allow you to lean forward more and makes the ride a lot more comfortable than keeping the hands on the horizontal bar all the time.

I got these grips on my hybrid and they are the business. Not cheap but still a great investment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

or just buy a road bike instead?

• Advertisement

I reckon most hybrids up around €1000 would have these in place though.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    or just buy a road bike instead?

Can't say I find the road bike that comfortable compared to my hybrid.

I've tried both and found the road bike caused more neck-pain due to the lower riding position.

I also find the wider grip feels a little more stable, but each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

As someone said on a different thread some time ago: this forum is full of people who bought a hybrid on the cycle to work scheme and later regretted not going for the road bike. Don't add to our numbers if you can help it!

Can't say I find the road bike that comfortable compared to my hybrid.

I've tried both and found the road bike caused more neck-pain due to the lower riding position.

I also find the wider grip feels a little more stable, but each to his own.

Neck pain?..sounds like the road bike was not set-up correctly TBH.

Not set-up correctly?

Not set-up correctly?

yep....Handlebars too low or maybe too far away from the saddle, which resulted in you reaching too far forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Another one that can cause problems (and did for me) is bending at the lower back rather than the hip. Possibly because of tight hamstrings or possibly just because you don't realise that you're doing it (a bit of both in my case).

That means that your neck has to bend upwards more to compensate (as your shoulders are pointing more downwards) and this tires your neck out and gets uncomfortable.

A properly setup road-bike should be at least as comfortable as a hybrid and get relatively more so as the distance increases IMO.

[edit] I really like my hybrid too and use it for my 4km each way work commute. It has dynamo lights and permenantly has a pannier rack and mudguards on it, but if I could only have one bike I'd definitely keep the road bike [/edit]

07Lapierre wrote: »
    yep....Handlebars too low or maybe too far away from the saddle, which resulted in you reaching too far forward?

No it was set up as "correct" as a road bike can be for someone of my height, but I found the hybrid more comfortable. Pretty simple tbh.

OP, you'll find most users on this forum are virulently anti-hybrid but try out both to see which you feel most comfortable with.

Hybrids provide you with a "higher" view over traffic which is safer, also you don't need to change your hand position as much which is good in the start-stop riding of inner-city cycling.

Speed isn't an issue as I regularly overtake high-spec road bikes with little effort on my Specialized, so the main issue people mention are that road bikes are more comfortable over longer distances (25km runs etc), but again it will depend on whether you intend to do excursions like that.

Generally for €1000 you could get a top-spec hybrid, but road bikes would run a little more expensive and you would be looking to get an upper-middle-range road bike for €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hybrids provide you with a "higher" view over traffic which is safer, also you don't need to change your hand position as much which is good in the start-stop riding of inner-city cycling.

It's a wonder anyone on a road bike survives a trip through traffic.

Ah maybe that's what caused your neck pain...trying to see over High traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

also you don't need to change your hand position as much which is good in the start-stop riding of inner-city cycling.

I don't get this point? You don't need to move your hands anymore on a road-bike than on a hybrid. I cycle both, both worth around your mentioned 1000e.

You do have the option of moving your hands around on a road-bike, which is a good thing, but you don't need to. You could leave them on the hoods and never move from there. Many people do exactly that, which I think is a pernicious habbit and they should move around more, but that's a different argument :)

Were you by any chance cycling the road bike holding onto the tops? That's the part like a flat handlebar from a hybrid. It's away from the brakes and gears and wouldn't be a good place to hold the bars except for on quiet roads where you won't need to shift/brake - usually climbing.

However it's a place where you often see beginners holding their handlebars on a road bike that doesn't properly fit them. It's kind of like using it like a hybrid flat handlebar except with it being worse because you're away from brakes/gears and thus would have to move your hands every time you wanted to brake or change gear. I cringe every time I see someone doing it because I think anybody that far from their brakes in city conditions is mad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No it was set up as "correct" as a road bike can be for someone of my height, but I found the hybrid more comfortable. Pretty simple tbh.

OP, you'll find most users on this forum are virulently anti-hybrid but try out both to see which you feel most comfortable with.

Speed isn't an issue as I regularly overtake high-spec road bikes with little effort on my Specialized, so the main issue people mention are that road bikes are more comfortable over longer distances (25km runs etc), but again it will depend on whether you intend to do excursions like that.

Generally for €1000 you could get a top-spec hybrid, but road bikes would run a little more expensive and you would be looking to get an upper-middle-range road bike for €1000.

An upper-mid range road bike is better spec'd than a "top spec" hybrid.

The OP wants a road bike.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    The OP wants a road bike.

Are you telling him or asking him?

Also explain "An upper-mid range road bike is better spec'd than a "top spec" hybrid."

Are you telling him or asking him?

Telling.
    Also explain "An upper-mid range road bike is better spec'd than a "top spec" hybrid."

For a grand you'll get a Canyon Aluminium bike with 105. That's better than any hybrid I've ever seen.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hybrid is definitely the less risky choice.

People who buy a hybrid then switch to a road bike feel a pleasing sense of progression.

People who buy a road bike then switch to a hybrid feel either a sort of simmering resentment that they were misadvised or a disappointment that they couldn't coerce their body into being comfortable.

Lumen wrote: »
    Hybrid is definitely the less risky choice.

People who buy a hybrid then switch to a road bike feel a pleasing sense of progression.

People who buy a road bike then switch to a hybrid feel either a sort of simmering resentment that they were misadvised or a disappointment that they couldn't coerce their body into being comfortable.

Honestly, I don't get this comfort business. I'm a fat man with mediocre mobility and my road bikes are a dream to ride. Because I have them set up properly, I got a bike fit done on my good bike and copied the setup for bike 2.

If anyone wants I'll throw up a picture of my setup. It's not upright but the stem is not slammed. Comfy as bejaysus though.

they/them/theirs

Honestly, I don't get this comfort business. I'm a fat man with mediocre mobility and my road bikes are a dream to ride. Because I have them set up properly, I got a bike fit done on my good bike and copied the setup for bike 2.
    Sure, but that's you. Different people are different.

Lumen wrote: »
    Sure, but that's you. Different people are different.

And road bikes can be set up to suit different people. That's what's great about them.

they/them/theirs

And road bikes can be set up to suit different people. That's what's great about them.
    To a degree, but some people with back problems are still not capable of being comfortable on a relaxed geometry road bike.

I also think that once you get a certain amount of uprightness in a road bike it becomes a bit of a pointless choice as the handling goes to pot.

A hybrid with disc brakes will brake better than a road bike with less effort in the wet, take wider tyres which some people find more pleasing to use, and be better able to cope with child seats (front or rear) without upsetting the handling.

Most bicycles in the world are not drop-bar road bikes, and it's worth considering why that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

So can hybrids. And they're much better off road.

Advertisement