Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA IN MATHEMATICS FOR TEACHING UL

Options
  • 14-06-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi does anybody have any information on the above named course. Like, do you have to be teaching maths already and do they take your degree into account? i.e.what type of a degree would you have to have?
    I know that you have to be a qualified second level teacher.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I emailed UL to ask this very question. They referred me to their website.

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Research/Graduate_School/Prospective_Students/Graduate_Programmes/Taught_Programmes/Education_%26_Health_Sciences/Mathematics%2520for%2520Teaching

Said to check eligibility requirements and if you meet them you can apply!

Details here http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/274252358.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

I did this course last year, teaching at the mo! No you dont have to be teaching already, most of us came straight from our degrees. My degree was BSc Mathematical Sciences but most had BAs in MAths and another subject. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Claire16

Hi

I am thinking of applying for the Maths dip in Ul, I am currently teaching and have maths hours. I have a B. Comm so just wondering the level of maths needed going into the course, is it worth doing it, and of course what is the workload like.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Claire16 wrote: »
    Hi

I am thinking of applying for the Maths dip in Ul, I am currently teaching and have maths hours. I have a B. Comm so just wondering the level of maths needed going into the course, is it worth doing it, and of course what is the workload like.

The whole idea of the course is to bring people who are teaching maths where maths was not in their degree up to degree level.
    As for the workload...... you may forget about a social life for the next two years. Don't get me wrong its a great course but you are basically doing a 3-4 year maths degree in 2 years on top of working full time. It's fairly full on. However in a couple of years only people who have a degree in maths or has this course will be eligible to teach it at second level so it is well worth doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Claire16

jonseyblub wrote: »
    The whole idea of the course is to bring people who are teaching maths where maths was not in their degree up to degree level.
    As for the workload...... you may forget about a social life for the next two years. Don't get me wrong its a great course but you are basically doing a 3-4 year maths degree in 2 years on top of working full time. It's fairly full on. However in a couple of years only people who have a degree in maths or has this course will be eligible to teach it at second level so it is well worth doing it
    Thanks for replying, are you doin it in UL? I heard it was 1 night a week and done Saturdays but the website said 2 nights, and Saturdays and summer school could you clarify this fid me
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭doc_17

A friend of mine is doing it and he was already teaching LCHL Maths and he reckons it tight stuff. If you're not good at maths then I reckons you'll have bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

awny wrote: »
    I did this course last year, teaching at the mo! No you dont have to be teaching already, most of us came straight from our degrees. My degree was BSc Mathematical Sciences but most had BAs in MAths and another subject. Hope this helps!

Hey - just wondering how did you get around this as at the minute, the application states that your principal has to sign off that you are employed and currently have maths hours. I'm a qualified secondary teacher but have no maths hours!

Hey - just wondering how did you get around this as at the minute, the application states that your principal has to sign off that you are employed and currently have maths hours. I'm a qualified secondary teacher but have no maths hours!

Have you any hours in any subject?

doc_17 wrote: »
    Have you any hours in any subject?

Yes, I have Home Ec and Religion hours - that's what my B.Ed. is in

I suppose you could ask your principal to sign off, but I suppose technically he shouldn't. But at the end of the day are they gonna go around and check everyone's hours?

Could you say that initially when the timetable was drawn up you had mats hours. But then it changed and you were already entered into the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

There is another thread on this.
    There are still looking for applicants for the course this year and last year they took people with no maths hours on timetable.

There are still looking for applicants for the course this year and last year they took people with no maths hours on timetable.
    Thanks blueberrypie - any idea what my best option is regarding this? Should I try and ring them in UL?

Thanks blueberrypie - any idea what my best option is regarding this? Should I try and ring them in UL?

Also, any idea where the thread for this is?

boards will not let me post a direct link to the maths course as I am a new user.

I must locate the other thread.

I still have not heard if I have my place and course is starting the first week in Sept.

boards will not let me post a direct link to the maths course as I am a new user.

I must locate the other thread.

I still have not heard if I have my place and course is starting the first week in Sept.

Are you teaching maths at the minute then? Do you mind me asking what your teaching subjects are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

awny wrote: »

You have be timetabled at least one maths class - no exceptions - I studied quite a bit of maths for my degree and I contacted the director who told me that the course is to educate teachers already teaching maths and not to allow people to add to their subject list. Maybe they have changed the rules as there may not be much interest this year. If they have I will definitely apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I can understand (and agree) that they should prioritise those with maths hours but the more qualified maths teachers we have, the better so if there are vacant places I would hope they will be filled by people who want to upskill rather than leave them empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

As a part time math teachers that would e very unfair. There's tons of math teachers who would like to upskill in subjects but can't do it for free? I'd love to upskill in Irish and anectodally there is even more demand for Irish teachers but I can't afford to go back to college and fund the course

There are lots of maths teachers out there, the reason this course was introduced was because principals had hired permanent teachers who they were allowing to teach maths even though they were unqualified in that subjects. The department realised that because they were permanent they couldn't just stop them teaching maths or schools would end up over quota.

Why this was ever allowed is beyond me but if there is no further need to upskill teachers already in the job I don't see why some part timers should get a free ride to a qualification in an additional subject when others don't have that luxury and have to pay thousands to similar in a different subject.

No offense to any teacher out there but there are tons of applicants for maths jobs, competition is high enough in teaching and from a selfish perspective allowing this course for free to any teacher would be increasing competition in an already over saturated jobs market

Clearview99 I have sent you a pm

Advertisement