Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Won't be going anywhere now...!!!!

Exactly what Williams was looking for from him!

Games against the Braves now massive. Win the series 2-1 and we'll be 5 1/2 games ahead :-)

Exciting times, I'm not going to lie I am totally organising my September to enable me to fly over if we're in the playoffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Exactly what Williams was looking for from him!

Games against the Braves now massive. Win the series 2-1 and we'll be 5 1/2 games ahead :-)

Exciting times, I'm not going to lie I am totally organising my September to enable me to fly over if we're in the playoffs

Might wanna hold off a month. Playoffs in October (but I know what you mean).

Don't be getting too cocky though, the Nats have to visit fortress Citifield next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Might wanna hold off a month. Playoffs in October (but I know what you mean).

Don't be getting too cocky though, the Nats have to visit fortress Citifield next week!

Ah no man I just mean the season is such a pick me up from last years disaster and we havent really started to put it all together yet. Which is encouraging. Its either been pitching or offence that have won us games when we put them both together the team should be formidable!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Ubaldo is off the DL. 2 walks in the 1st, followed by a home run in the 2nd.

O's down 2-0 as Jiminez continues his one man quest to keep us out of the playoffs.

Disaster of a pitcher.

Benimar wrote: »
    Ubaldo is off the DL. 2 walks in the 1st, followed by a home run in the 2nd.

O's down 2-0 as Jiminez continues his one man quest to keep us out of the playoffs.

Disaster of a pitcher.

He has a lead now. Any chance he can hold onto it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

He has a lead now. Any chance he can hold onto it?

He would surpass himself if he loses this one! The bats have bailed him out but he's still a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Ubaldo could be a good example of a player who has the biggest gap between floor and ceiling.

There was clearly something working for him at Cleveland last year under Francona and whoever the pitching coach was at the time.

They changed his mechanics a bit but more importantly, his approach and mentality.

He moves to Baltimore and he's different.

The Nats should seriously consider playing their home games at CitiField. 11 wins in a row there and something like 25 out of 30 over the last few seasons.

The season could do with a little bit of a pick me up don't you think? Well on the NL side anyway.

The Nats and Dodgers are pulling away and even though the NLC is close, none of the 4 sides contending there are doing anything exciting and no one seems capable of taking advantage of the others under performing.

At least the AL has something to keep us interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Kansas and Detroit battle is great!

• Advertisement

Fair play to the Rays. After being 18 under, they're now back to .500. 5.5 games out of the wild card and 6 teams ahead of them so probably too late to make the playoffs but great that the players haven't given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 qwerty87

For the Mets to compete next year I think they need to trade one of their front line arms to get some bats. I see the Cubs as being natural trading partners, with them having a surplus of high end prospects but lacking pitching.

As for who to trade, Harvey would be too much to give up, deGrom has been terrific this year so I'd keep him, which leaves Wheeler as the obvious candidate.

Wheeler for Addison Russell would be a fair trade and would benefit both teams I reckon

qwerty87 wrote: »
    For the Mets to compete next year I think they need to trade one of their front line arms to get some bats. I see the Cubs as being natural trading partners, with them having a surplus of high end prospects but lacking pitching.

As for who to trade, Harvey would be too much to give up, deGrom has been terrific this year so I'd keep him, which leaves Wheeler as the obvious candidate.

Wheeler for Addison Russell would be a fair trade and would benefit both teams I reckon

I know bats are badly needed but I'd hate to have to give up Wheeler. He's been great this season, especially over the past 8-9 starts or so.

Whoever goes, whether it be De From, Wheeler, Syndegaard or whoever, a great pitcher will be lost. I just hope whoever they get in return isn't a bust. This is one trade that they really need to get right.

And I hope they stay away from Tulo, he's too risky injury wise.

What was the story with Chapman yesterday? 4 walks in a row. He doesn't struggle with command usually does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

What was the story with Chapman yesterday? 4 walks in a row. He doesn't struggle with command usually does he?

Something was bothering him, he didn't look right warming up and he was stretching after just about every pitch.

It's been a while since I had a rant about the Mets but I'm think I'm at the low point of the season. They've now had 5 games in a row with 4 or less hits. That's not a typo, I didn't mean to write 'runs'. They can't even get hits these days, never mind runs. Cudeuyer got 4 hits on his own yesterday for the Rockies and the Mets as a team haven't got as much in nearly a week.

Strangely they've managed to win 2 out of those 5 games but it's awful baseball to watch, they just look like they've never seen a major league pitcher pitch before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Incredibly enough the A's have lost the lead in AL West to the Angels. Currently on a 5 game losing streak and having a few issues in all areas. Not sure if it's because of the Cespedes trade but they have been under .500 since then.

Incredibly enough the A's have lost the lead in AL West to the Angels. Currently on a 5 game losing streak and having a few issues in all areas. Not sure if it's because of the Cespedes trade but they have been under .500 since then.

No better way to deal with a losing streak than to have the Mets and their ice cold bats come to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Some farce in Wrigley field last night!! Cubs beat Giants 2-0 after 4.5 innings as game couldn't be resumed following 15 minutes of rain because Cubs ground staff were "unable" to pull the cover out over the in field. I never realised the result could stand after only 4.5 innings played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

zuutroy wrote: »
    Good ol' imploding Blue Jays....another year gone I'd imagine.
    mod9maple wrote: »
    1 bad game is just that - 1 game!

Long way to go yet, don't be so quick to throw in the towel. One series at a time. Hutch hurled a gem last night, series tied at 1. 4 games back of the Os for the East lead and don't forget the wildcard race too.
    zuutroy wrote: »
    I've seen enough over the years to make me pretty pessimistic!
    Buerhle looks gassed, Dickie is a lottery, Stroman has no experience and Hutchison can be hit and miss too. The likes of Goins, Gose and Reimold aren't the caliber of hitter that a team needs to get to the playoffs. I'd love to be surprised though!

You should know better than to have any optimism :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Some farce in Wrigley field last night!! Cubs beat Giants 2-0 after 4.5 innings as game couldn't be resumed following 15 minutes of rain because Cubs ground staff were "unable" to pull the cover out over the in field. I never realised the result could stand after only 4.5 innings played.

It's the minimum, never seen it myself, harsh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ubaldo Jiminez removed from the rotation and sent to the bullpen.

No suprise realy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭boccy23

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ubaldo Jiminez removed from the rotation and sent to the bullpen.

No suprise realy

Has been a huge bust in that deal.
    His early career in Coors is a distant memory now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I think the Blue Jays are done - stick a fork in them!

Aw well, the ride has been fun. It's going to be an interesting winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭boccy23

Bats have gone stone cold.
    From ESPN - " Through Monday, Toronto is 4-11 in August, with 3.1 runs per game, an MLB-low 1.3 percent HR rate and a wimpy .335 SLG."

Benny Hill music always makes things funnier.

You never know, still only 4.5 games back in the wild card (although they would have to pass a number of teams). But any team that can get on a hot streak in September can come from nowhere to sneak a playoff spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

A game is considered 'regulation' after 5 innings...... in an occasion where the home team leads after 4 1/2, it can be considered regulation because they do not need to complete the bottom half of the 4th to win the game...... much like a team not batting at home in the 9th if the lead

Rare, but legitimate

EDIT: the league have upheld the giants' protest and the game will be completed..... there apparently is an exception to the rule, where a game can not be deem 'regulation' if the failure of the home grounds crew to efficiently protect the playing surface contributed to the game being called.

EDIT: the league have upheld the giants' protest and the game will be completed..... there apparently is an exception to the rule, where a game can not be deem 'regulation' if the failure of the home grounds crew to efficiently protect the playing surface contributed to the game being called.

Good to see common sense prevail. Otherwise you'd see grounds crews deliberately making a balls of things during rain delays if the home team has the lead.

• Advertisement

David Price just gave up only one hit and had only one walk and pitched the entire game*. Unfortunately the one hit was a triple that followed an error so resulted in an unearned run but as the offence couldn't score a run for him, he ends up losing.

That can't be something that happens too often is it?

* Only 8.0 innings as the Rays didn't need to bat in the ninth.

EDIT - Sorry, I was slightly wrong. He actually had no walks so his performance was even better.

Advertisement