Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lios an Uisce

• 18-08-2014 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

First off, I apologize if this question has been answered already; I searched Boards.ie and found only a couple mentions of the place, none of which were helpful.

I am moving to Galway next summer with my five year-old daughter, and was wondering about Lios an Uisce as a neighborhood to live in. I work from home, so access to workplace isn't an issue. Can anyone please tell me if Lios an Uisce is a family-friendly neighborhood to live in? Is it mostly GMIT students (no offence intended, loved my days as a student at NUIG, but I've a young child to think of now :) ), or is it a more permanent, settled community?

Also, does anyone have any information or opinions on the primary schools in the area? I will not have a car and so we will be needing to take the bus or walk to any schools or recreational facilities. I am aware that everyone has different tastes and preferences when it comes both to housing and schools, but I'm not able to visit the area myself until next July and would really love any feedback anyone is willing to provide. I've only lived on the westside of the River, never the East, and would love to hear about the community.

Cheers, thanks a million, and any advice or perspectives you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't think there are a lot (any?) facilities for kids there. I couldn't find any when I looked: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/merlin-park-neighbourhood-map.html (I just realised that this shows a school, still - but it's now closed.)

But there are some families with children living in the area, so it cannot be all GMIT students.

Nearest schools are in Renmore and Doughiksa. The former is walkable (if you're a walker, proably a good 20 minutes). The latter is a new school with a very enthusiastic staff and fantastic buildings, and a bit more ethnic diversity in the population. It also has a supermarket opposite the school, which could be very handy for you if you're living in ths suburbs without a car.

The 409 bus (http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/02/bus-service-409-parkmore-via-doughiska.html) goes past the estate, it runs every 15 mins 7am-7pm Mon-Sat and every 30 outisde that. Easily the best bus-service in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 4fionn

Thank you very much for your reply, Ms OBumble. I was hoping you would reply, as I have seen your replies on other threads and your answers are always so detailed and helpful. :)

Ethnic diversity in a school is a big plus, I'll definitely check out Doughiska. What is that area like in terms of a neighborhood to live in? For some reason I had the impression it was mostly students and single people working at the nearby industrial complexes, and not so family-oriented, but if they have a nice school there perhaps I have the wrong impression? Is Doughiska a nice, family-friendly neighborhood?

Thanks for the info on the buses, too. Always good to know there is frequent and reliable public transport nearby.

It's a shame I never spent any time on the east side exploring so I'd have a better idea myself of the layout and feeling. Truly appreciate the advice and info.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Doughiska is full of families! Great place to live, great playground for young kids, two brand new schools, big park, Merlin Woods. I'm sure some estates have more renters than others, but from my experience of living here (in an estate with a mix of renters/owners) it seems to be a great place for kids - they will have lots of other kids to make friends with anyway. Excellent bus service too, into town in 15 mins, good shops, pharmacy, etc. Could do with a decent pub but maybe not a priority for you...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Not a huge fan of doughiska. Never found it to be family friendly in my time there tbh but I suppose it depends on your definition. Certainly feels very far out from the city. If you're a fan of KFC though it might just be the place for you. Houses I lived in there all had major damp problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 4fionn

Thank you very much to everyone who provided feedback. I very much appreciate it. Zzippy---do you mind of I ask you what housing estates you prefer/think are positive, family-friendly areas? And Dr. Bollicko, can I ask you which housing estates you are not so fond of? Any specifics would be greatly appreciated in my search for a neighborhood. Thank you!

• Advertisement

Not a huge fan of doughiska. Never found it to be family friendly in my time there tbh but I suppose it depends on your definition. Certainly feels very far out from the city. If you're a fan of KFC though it might just be the place for you. Houses I lived in there all had major damp problems.

There's a few posts about facilities in Doughiska in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057032950

Agree, not all estates are equally well built. Personally I don't know which is which, though.

And I can't see what would make it feel far out from the city: great bus service, taxi costs about E11-13 from town - about the same as Knockers etc on the west.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I can't speak for everyone but when I lived in fionnuisce, in a house built around 2 years, the walls used to be black with mould, so that estate would be on the avoid list.

Also, although I like living in the city and probably wouldn't live in knocknacarra in a hurry, knocknacarra does have a lot more of an established feel. Seems like a lot of doughiska is still a dusty building site.

I'm clearly not the only one who feels like this, house prices in knocknacarra vs. doughiska bear this out too.

Not to say that won't change in a few years.

Castan, An Fiodan and Tur Uisce are all nice estates, built by McInerney or O'Malley who are/were very reputable builders. Have never had an issue with damp, noise or insulation in the house we're in, and haven't heard of any locally. Did have an issue with a Velux skylight that crashed into the bath, but that was a fault with the velux and was replaced free of charge - it's happened a few houses locally and is a known issue with a certain batch of those skylights.
    No kids here, but no shortage of families in those 3 estates and they all seem to enjoy living here.
    I would avoid Fionnuisce/Fearann Ri if possible - know of problems both with houses and neighbours, lot more renters and more antisocial behaviour, also no management company so not maintained except by concerned residents.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I would avoid Fionnuisce/Fearann Ri if possible - know of problems both with houses and neighbours, lot more renters and more antisocial behaviour, also no management company so not maintained except by concerned residents.

Who (the concerned residents) are, afaik, working actively to get at least parts taken in charge by the council.

Lack of management company might appeal to some, too, because it means no fees of parking permits like in Coilte Tire (which I think I just spelt wrong).

Who (the concerned residents) are, afaik, working actively to get at least parts taken in charge by the council.

Lack of management company might appeal to some, too, because it means no fees of parking permits like in Coilte Tire (which I think I just spelt wrong).

That's the only estate where permits are required AFAIK. Other estates in the area are extremely well maintained by management companies without the need for permits. Personally I'd rather pay the relatively small fee and live in a well-maintained estate with proper sinking fund and insurance than live in hope the council might take over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement