Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clubs & Societies for a new student

Options
  • 20-08-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Starting UL in September, and want to join a few clubs and societies.

Thinking of joining the Photographic Society. Anybody here in it or has been in it? What are the numbers like? Is it a good experience?

Also thinking of either joining the Karate, Taekwondo or Krav Maga club. Same as above, are any of you in any of these clubs? What are they like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Cian__ wrote: »
    Starting UL in September, and want to join a few clubs and societies.

Thinking of joining the Photographic Society. Anybody here in it or has been in it? What are the numbers like? Is it a good experience?

Also thinking of either joining the Karate, Taekwondo or Krav Maga club. Same as above, are any of you in any of these
    clubs? What are they like?

My friend is president of photo soc, and from what I know about the society is that there are presentation workshops held every week or two where you're taught different techniques and stuff, then there are different photo shoots you can be involved in also. Every year they have a trip where anyone who is a member gets to go on for free; I think they went to Dublin Zoo this year. Along with trips and stuff, Photo Soc are also given a few free passes to the balls and RAG week/Freshers week to take photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cian__

iLaura wrote: »
    My friend is president of photo soc, and from what I know about the society is that there are presentation workshops held every week or two where you're taught different techniques and stuff, then there are different photo shoots you can be involved in also. Every year they have a trip where anyone who is a member gets to go on for free; I think they went to Dublin Zoo this year. Along with trips and stuff, Photo Soc are also given a few free passes to the balls and RAG week/Freshers week to take photos.

Sounds interesting. Thanks Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Was in the photography society in first year. To be honest, I found it a bit boring and the only advantage is having access to good cameras. I love my own camera though, so I didn't see it being worth the price of joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sinead06

How about the drama, debate and poker clubs? :)

sinead06 wrote: »
    How about the drama, debate and poker clubs? :)

Have no interest in Drama or Debate but the poker club definitely sounds interesting! I can't help but picture it as a group of lads in suits smoking cigars and drinking whiskey while playing :p but I'm sure it's nothing like that :D

• Advertisement

Also whats the story with music? Do we just sit around and jam or?.....

I really hope it's like that! hopefully in a dark room with an open bulb and a fan :L

I really hope it's like that! hopefully in a dark room with an open bulb and a fan :L

To be fair, would he pretty great if it was like that!

Apparently there's a tea appreciation society too. Definitely joining that!! :D

Apparently there's a tea appreciation society too. Definitely joining that!! :D

I was tempted to join, but it's all about drinking different types of tea. I'm a loyal person and will be sticking with Barry's, so I don't think that club is for me :(

• Advertisement

Hmm i'm a Lyons woman myself, if I can just have a few cups in the corner i'd be happy.

Hmm i'm a Lyons woman myself, if I can just have a few cups in the corner i'd be happy.

That would be me, sitting in the corner with a cuppa and McVities Chocolate Digestives while everyone else talks about how great the new type of tea they just had is. I'll just be sitting there thinking to myself "I'm sure it's good and all, but the question is, can you dip a Digestive into it?".

That would be me, sitting in the corner with a cuppa and McVities Chocolate Digestives while everyone else talks about how great the new type of tea they just had is. I'll just be sitting there thinking to myself "I'm sure it's good and all, but the question is, can you dip a Digestive into it?".

Tea....With no milk or sugar? MONSTERS!!

Tea....With no milk or sugar? MONSTERS!!

We should set up our own society, where we drink actual tea and have digestives with it. Never mind that fancy herbal tea stuff, we're Irish not Chinese :P

Although it will probably end up being a tense situation with people drinking Barry's and Lyons in the same room. Could turn into an all out gang war!

Exactly :D Hmm, especially if the Barrys people get Lyons and the Lyons get Barrys.......

Exactly :D Hmm, especially if the Barrys people get Lyons and the Lyons get Barrys.......

Jaysus, that would be a disaster! I've been in situations where all that was on offer was Lyons but Jaysus, in a situation where you have a choice it would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

You two should get a room together one night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarz47

I was tempted to join, but it's all about drinking different types of tea. I'm a loyal person and will be sticking with Barry's, so I don't think that club is for me :(

Tea Appreciation Society is great! There's every kind of tea on offer if you're into that, but I've always gone and had my Lyons tea with milk and sugar. There's always biscuits too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarz47

We should set up our own society, where we drink actual tea and have digestives with it. Never mind that fancy herbal tea stuff, we're Irish not Chinese :P

Although it will probably end up being a tense situation with people drinking Barry's and Lyons in the same room. Could turn into an all out gang war!

there is every kind of biscuit, from bourbons to custard creams, we always did a blind barry's vs lyons taste testing last year

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Literary Soc? Are you out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Id reccomend the poker society

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'd strongly recommend the kayak club......but then again I am very biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Anyone know anything about trampolining?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Also whats the story with music? Do we just sit around and jam or?.....

Hi Sinead!

My name is Fionn, and I am the president of Music Soc! To be honest, we do a bit of everything! Music Soc is comprised of Music,Trad,DJ, and the all new "Glee" soc! :cool: We won the "most improved society" award last year, and are starting to get back off the ground, from what was a couple miserable years for UL Music. :o

Each of the 4 separate sub-societies hold their own events, so it depends what your into,but you can headbang on a Tuesday,drop a beat on a Wednesday,dance a jig on a Thursday and hit those harmonies on a Friday :D

Music Soc(the sub-society), host gigs, have a music room for rental for band practice and recording, and host an all new "act incubation scheme" for all new bands formed in UL to show off their stuff! :)

I would recommend checking out our facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/ulmusicsoc
    And our class new website!
    http://ulmusicsoc.com/

Hope to see you and everyone hear at the Recruitment Drive in September :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aineb100

For anyone that's coming to UL this year or thinking about joining clubs and societies for the first time, I'd say make sure to go to the recruitment drive, talk to people at every stall and try as many things as you can at least once!

What you end up joining depends on what you're in to, really, but give everything a chance.

Advertisement