Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beck

• 09-08-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've had a few drinks but I defy anyone to disagree with me in saying that Mr. Hansen is an absolute one off. I actually believe he's underrated if anything.

Does anyone even come close?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Much as like him, I don't think he's come close to matching those 1st two albums (by which I mean Mellow Gold and Odelay rather than any of his earlier indie stuff)

All of his later albums have a handful of killer tunes on them (e.g. "Cellphone's Dead" posted above, which is a great track) but they're generally a bit patchy (they're also not as much "fun" as his early stuff). I still check out anything he releases though.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sharktopus

I think Beck is one of the few artists that is incapable of making a bad album. Sure some might not be as good as others, but he is a pure craftsman. As a complete album, and one that genuinely felt new and original I don't think he has surpassed Odelay. But Sea Change and Morning Phase amazing albums. I need to see him live again. Its been too long.

I could write a long screed about how for me Sea Change was the right album at the right time. As good a break up album as Blood On The Tracks - and the string arrangements on it are some of the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sharktopus wrote: »
    I could write a long screed about how for me Sea Change was the right album at the right time. As good a break up album as Blood On The Tracks - and the string arrangements on it are some of the best ever.

Actually the arrangements are what puts me off Sea Change - for a bunch of simple acoustic ballads, the orchestration is seriously overblown. Morning Phase is bit more subtle and I prefer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Sea Change is definitely my favourite Beck album, it just hits the spot nicely when you're feeling down. I've probably said it before but I prefer Beck's mellow stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I think he's very highly rated by people who listen to him or know him properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

I do prefer his earlier stuff. Mellow Gold and Odelay are great and I actually loved the Midnite Vultures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Sea Change is definitely my favourite Beck album, it just hits the spot nicely when you're feeling down. I've probably said it before but I prefer Beck's mellow stuff.

I feel the same. Sea Change really gets me every time I play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

Guess the album that gets my vote:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Morning Phase is so much better than I expected.
    Sea Change is probably still my favourite.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I must be mental so. I like the last few albums more than the earlier stuff myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

He was absolutely fantastic at Electric Picnic. Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Mutations is a very underrated album for me.

The trio of that, Odelay and Mellow Gold are probably my favourites of his.

Sea Change is good(even if he "borrowed" some of the arrangements from Serge Gainsbourg) and i'm liking Morning Phase more with each listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mutations is a very underrated album for me.

The trio of that, Odelay and Mellow Gold are probably my favourites of his.

Sea Change is good(even if he "borrowed" some of the arrangements from Serge Gainsbourg) and i'm liking Morning Phase more with each listen.

Oh, big time. 'Paper Tiger' and 'Melody' from 'Histoire de Melody Nelson' are basically the same song. Still though, blame his dad, he did the strings on Sea Change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

You get a lot of bands who make an amazing album or two, then spend the rest of their careers basically remaking that album over and over.
    Beck's albums never sound like rehashes of earlier work, every one of his album stands by itself.

I actually prefer his later albums (Sea Change and onwards) and I really like Guero

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Cellphone's dead is a masterpiece. Apart from one song I had years ago and loved but haven't been able to find again I can't say I've liked much else he's done. I tried to listen to Mellow Gold recently but I found some of the tracks rather annoying!

Advertisement