Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

carers allowance

• 30-04-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi I'm wondering how long does carers allowance actually take to process ? I applied in January for carers benefit realising then at end of February that carers benefit goes against prsi contributions rather than low income. So I applied for the carers allowance in march. I know it's only been 2 months but I've read that some people it can take upto 9 months so I rang and they said it's 12 weeks. Do they say that to everyone and is it backdated ? I am already receiving domiciliary allowance for my son.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MissRachael29

..?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kiya11

..?

I also applied in March I'm still waiting. Have you recieved your yet?

Kiya11 wrote: »
    I also applied in March I'm still waiting. Have you recieved your yet?

I got refused last week I am appealing it now with my p45 they said I can't work and be waiting carers allowance...??? Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kiya11

I got refused last week I am appealing it now with my p45 they said I can't work and be waiting carers allowance...??? Strange

Awh no sorry to hear that. You can work while your waiting if it's only 15 hours you do in work. Otherwise I can't see them paying you if you work anymore because they will be thinking how are you after been providing the care. Hope you get it backdated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sandie38

Hi I applied for Career's Allowance last October, I was refused about six weeks later it on the grounds that my daughter was not sick enough. So they said if I could provide further evidence of my Daughters Illness that they would look at it again and I done this 3 weeks later. My Doctor gave me a great letter stating the seriousness of her condition and I got letters off her school and other people. all this was done around last December. I still have not got a decision from them, which is 10 months now.
    Is this normal.
    Please if there's anyone who can enlighten me I would be very grateful.

• Advertisement

Hi I completely understand the stress and all the paper work ! I applied in January 14 and was refused in May 14 my son has a disability which I had letters from doctors etc I was doing 1-2 days work which was 14 hours max which is why I got refused. So I left work and sent my p45 in and appealed my application. Also rang our family social worker who helped ALOT I would recommend getting in contact with one if you can. And I Also rang every week, I know it's prob not necessary but to me it was I got awarded in June and It was backdated too. Keep ringing they all have different stories to tell! "There's a queue" "the person dealing with your application is out" bla bla bla just explain you have been waiting for a long time and you "know" a few people or were speaking to a few people who applied after you and was granted before you.! They'll more than likely use the"queue" excuse. I got a lovely lady on the phone and it was her who moved things forward for me :) good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hi why dont you go on carers benefit first then change over to carers allowance when the year is up

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sandie38

Thank you Miss Rachael,
    your post was very helpful.
    Yes I am getting the "Queue" reason whenever I ring. Can you tell me how I would go about getting in touch with a social worker.
    I have not worked in about 5 years as I had another sick child ( who I didn't claim Careers allowance for). He is better now and going to school this year, and would love to go back to work but I can't do this now as my daughter needs me with her now. I will ring them again and tell them what you said to say.. Thank you again.

Advertisement