Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contemplating homebrewing

Options
  • 30-07-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to homebrew the problem is I don't know where to start.
    I've got a shed at the bottom of my garden which I could clean out to use but does the homebrew need to be above a certain temperature?
    What equipment would I need? I've seen a few websites selling stuff but id like experts to tell me first.
    Whats best to start with
    Not too fussed if its beer, lager or cider as id like to try it all at some stage
    Hope someone can help

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I don't know where to start.
    Start by browsing this forum. Maybe run a few searches for terms like "beginner" or "beginning".
    I've got a shed at the bottom of my garden which I could clean out to use but does the homebrew need to be above a certain temperature?
    The ideal temperature for most brews is 18C, so room temperature. High temperatures are a bigger problem than low ones. I'd be wary of leaving fermenters in a shed as the temperature can vary hugely. If you have space indoors that would be better.
    What equipment would I need?
    The starter set sold by any of the homebrew sites will get you going. You'll figure out what else you need as you go along. Everyone's set-up is different.
    Whats best to start with
    The rule of thumb with kits is the darker the better: stouts and ales come out best; "lagers" and blondes are probably best avoided, at least initially. the more expensive kits generally give better quality results than the cheap ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

BeerNut thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just on the mobile here so I'll keep it short.

My tip is always take BeerNuts advice on here, he's a great poster and great source of good information. :-)

I've been brewing almost a year and I love it. Even the girlfriend is gone mad for it. A year ago age would only drink Coors Light when out, now it's all IPAs, ales and stouts for her.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

+1 on above

Loving how my first brew turned out and can't wait to taste it at its best

Before I started I done some serious reading of this forum and even though I am a barman by trade(and ex cellarman)
    But I learned so much and will continue to do so.

I would strongly suggest giving it a go but study first

Good luck and may your brews taste amazing

Advertisement