Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your 3 favorite podcasts?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Harmontown is hilarious, as is The Flop House (bad-movie reviews). I like to geek out on tech with Accidental Tech Podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

still untitled the adam savage project- covers gadgets and film. interesting and funny, usually 30-40 minutes long.

stuff you should know - probably my all time favourite. reminds me of moncrief on newstalk a little as they just come up with very diverse topics each time. theres about 500 or so done so far I think. very good.

second captains - everyone knows this one I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Dan Carlin - hardcore history/common sense.
    Tom Rhodes
    Bryan Callen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Newstalk - Football with John Giles (love his old school perspective on the game)

Newstalk - Golf Weekly (worth it just for the opening music/intro!!)

The Guardian - Football Weekly (going a little cold on this as the contributors are becoming a bit too smart arse)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

kexp seattles - music that matters podcast (introduced me to some pretty good music)
    npr - all songs considered
    quite like the guardians football weekly
    stuff you should knows pretty good

just got into this listening to podcasts craic so im sure there are a heap more to discover!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭astonvanilla

The Football Ramble - I used to be a Football Weekly fan but the guys on the Ramble are far more entertaining.

Mohr Stories with Jay Mohr - Always a great laugh.

Stuff you Should Know - Have about 30 backed up in my podcast list. Relaxing listen for the drive home in the evening.

Have about 30 Podcasts I listen to frequently. Favourites changing all the time!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Live Audio Wrestling - more specifically John Pollock & Wai Ting's weekly shows. Excellent informative discussion and friendly banter discussing the week in wrestling and classic shows.

We Found New Music with Grant Owens. Indie popcast showcasing talented new/unsigned musicians. I'm not into this type of music generally but the host has great taste.

Epic Battle Axe feat. Daniel Kayser is a weekly digest in the world of videogames. 3 longtime mates have a laugh and some great discursive conversation. These guys and The LAW (above) heavy influenced the creation of my own show, I can't recommend them highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Its hard to pick just three, but if I had to...
    Second Captains
    Kermode & Mayo
    The Adam Carolla Show

If I had a few more, I'd go for TWiT, MacBreak Weekly, Security Now, Sword & Laser, WTF with Marc Maron, Doug Loves Movies and The Adam & Dr Drew show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

Second Captains

Carlin

Motley Fool Money (surprisingly entertaining and informative)

Recently jettisoned Guardian Football for having too many annoying contributors, and became bored with Kermode and his bigging up all things English, regardless of quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

jaykhunter wrote: »

Epic Battle Axe feat. Daniel Kayser is a weekly digest in the world of videogames. 3 longtime mates have a laugh and some great discursive conversation. These guys and The LAW (above) heavy influenced the creation of my own show, I can't recommend them highly enough.

I went looking for this one but couldn't find it on he Stitcher app and the EpicBattleAxe website is confusing me. Is the show called 'Epic Battle Cry Skirmish'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ha, the site is Epic Battle Axe, the show is Epic Battle Cry and they call their podcasts "skirmish". So yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Filmdrunk Frotcast (200! Bishop look at this!!)
    Miscellaneous Adventures from the World of Mike Carano
    The Todd Barry Podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Thanks for all the tips guys.

My 3 fave are:
    • An Irishman Abroad
    • Daily Knowledge Podcast
    • Monday Morning Podcast

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

There are some podcasts i've listening to recently and really enjoyed.

No Such Thing as Fish
    If you like the TV show QI in principle - but like me - wish the panelists weren't just the usual bunch of idiots who are ferried around panel shows, then you'll like this a lot.

Professor Blastoff
    This is a slightly odd podcast that pretends to have a theme each week. In reality it's 3 comedian friends just joking about with a random guest.

How Was Your Week?
    One of the strangest podcast i've listened to. It's a lady called Julie Klausner who just kinda rambles to her herself for about 40 minutes before introducing a guest. I've listened to a LOT of these episodes and i have no idea why exactly i like it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 iamnhoward

My 3 fave podcasts have to be

Steve Austin Show
    WTF with MARC maron
    An Irishman Abroad

Honourable mentions have to go to

-The Nerdist
    -Joe Rogan Experience

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

There are some podcasts i've listening to recently and really enjoyed.

No Such Thing as Fish
    If you like the TV show QI in principle - but like me - wish the panelists weren't just the usual bunch of idiots who are ferried around panel shows, then you'll like this a lot.

Professor Blastoff
    This is a slightly odd podcast that pretends to have a theme each week. In reality it's 3 comedian friends just joking about with a random guest.

How Was Your Week?
    One of the strangest podcast i've listened to. It's a lady called Julie Klausner who just kinda rambles to her herself for about 40 minutes before introducing a guest. I've listened to a LOT of these episodes and i have no idea why exactly i like it so much.

No Such Thing As A Fish is really, really good. A definite +1 here.

My 3 favourites change all the time really. At the moment:

Stop Podcasting Yourself
    The Complete Guide to Everything
    The Dismal Jesters

would be the three, with honourable mentions going to The Comedy Button and Football Weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 str8edge

Steve Austin Show
    Joe Rogan Experience
    Filmspotting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

For walking our two dogs, I usually do a two podcast walk with Melvin Bragg and In our times, the shear variety of subject matter means I have been very rarely disappointed with choice of podcast.

I have been following these guys Dune saga podcasts for the last couple of months. The are going through all of the Dune (Frank Herbert) universe books in chronological order, including the Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson books. The Podcasts are released monthly which gives you time to read the months book. The do a short 10min pod to recap the book before doing a show reviewing the book, they then do a listener feedback show.

When I'm out for a run I use Podrunner to keep me motivated.

I also listen to the second captains and philosophy now for longer slower runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

tellem stevedave (best podcast around in my humble opinion

the carl donnelly & chris martin comedy podcast podcast

the chels -chelsea podcast

chewin it with kevin and steve

under the radar with sean hughes(best newish podcast)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gerdywerdy

1) Dave Ramsey Show (American show about managing finances)
    2) Movie Podcast Weekly (great show that reviews New Movie Releases as well as giving recommendations etc)
    3) Stephen Nolan show (Northern Based phone-in show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 zagaluke

(1)This American Life

(2) Ear biscuits

(3)NPR:Wait Wait Don't tell Me

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

Current Favourite Podcasts (Not gonna limit to three!):

Can't link because I'm still a new user but Google will get you all of these very easily, I use BeyondPod for all my podcasts on which these are all available:

- The Attitude Era Podcast

A really fun look at wrestling's most "edgy" time period, and arguably its most popular era within pop culture, PPV by PPV, as hosted by three really funny guys (two British guys and an Irish guy), one of whom is looking at all this for the very first time. How much of it holds up in the 14-15 years since then, and how much has badly dated in hilarious / embarrassing ways? For my money the best wrestling podcast out there by a mile.

- Cinema Swirl

Kevin from the Attitude Era Podcast hosts this with his mate Sam, who defying all logic and chance, has never seen any of the big blockbuster films from our childhood (think Back to the Future / Ghostbusters / Star Wars etc). So every podcast they sit down, discuss what he *thinks* the movie is about beforehand, and then they watch the film and talk about it afterwards. Hilarious.

- Mom on Pop

The senior editor of the AV Club hosts a pop culture podcast with his mother (hence the cheeky title) with a different topic each week - funny and very cute, I really enjoy it.

- Rachel and Miles X-Plain The X-Men

If, like me, you grew up watching superhero cartoons or reading whatever comics you could get your grubby mitts on, you'll love this one. This is a weekly podcast exploring the convoluted 50 year continuity of one of the most confusing superhero soap operas there is, the X-Men. Great fun!

- The History of Rome

My favourite history podcast, now wrapped up but all episodes are available from the beginning. Rome - from start to finish. This is excellent.

- Revolutions

From the guy who makes the History of Rome, this takes a different revolution and spends a few months exploring it in depth before moving to another. If the History of Rome is a novel, this is a collection of stories. So far they've covered the English Civil War, the American Revolution, and the French Revolution. Well worth it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm definitely gonna check that Revolution one out. My only history podcast at the moment is When Diplomacy Fails which, while excellent (I'd recommend the July Crisis specials to everyone), has a very sporadic episode schedule because the host is a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I've been binge listening to April Richardson's "Go Bayside" podcast.
    She sits down with a different comedian friend each week and the watch an episode of Saved by the Bell, they then record a podcast discussing it.

The Paul F. Thompkins episode is a must listen episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm definitely gonna check that Revolution one out. My only history podcast at the moment is When Diplomacy Fails which, while excellent (I'd recommend the July Crisis specials to everyone), has a very sporadic episode schedule because the host is a student.

The Newstalk History show is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Ted Talks Audio - http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEDTalks_audio

SFBRP - Science Fiction Book Review Podcast

http://www.sfbrp.com/?feed=podcast

An audiobook podcast that is more than the sum of its parts. In my view anyway. Dont let the fact that there is vampires in it put you off. Dark horrible and funny and brilliantly narrated. Underwood and Flinch

http://podiobooks.com/rss/feeds/episodes/underwood-and-flinch-a-vampire-novel/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Second Captains
    Joe Rogan Experience
    WTF with Marc Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Serial - the new podcast from the creators of This American Life. Just go listen to it and you shan't regret it.

• Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast is my favourite, could listen to him forever, doh jeeez

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This American Life
    WTF with Marc Maron
    Tom Robinson Introducing

Advertisement