Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avoriaz vs Val d'Isere

Options
  • 19-07-2014 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭

I'm just having a tentative look into winter holidays as it's still a bit early but what's people's opinion of Avoriaz vs Val.
    As a group we were in Sauze D'Oulx last year and Mayrhofen the previous two times but personally I wouldn't mind trying one of the big french resorts again. Will the après ski element be lacking in either of the above. I remember finding les Arc 1800 pretty poor a few years back.
    I'm being drawn towards Avoriaz as it's got a shorter transfer.
    Just to add, we're a group of intermediate boarders (usually 8-12ppl) and have been to Meribel twice a good few years ago so just thinking of trying other French resorts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

I did last season in Val and generally holidayed in Austria. I loved Val, very picturesque resort and easy to get around. The skiing is some of the best in Europe with lots to choose from and suitable for all levels. Après is prob not as lively as Austria but still there's a great scene to be had. Folie Duece on the mountain then back into town, there's plenty of choice.
    Most accommodation is catered chalets which is great as all your meals and drink are included. I'd avoid February as it's school holidays for the month and resort gets very busy and queues are annoying. The town is very accessible and everything in walking distance unlike some other French resorts.
    Any other questions give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wow that was quick, cheers for the feedback. I suppose après is what you make it but as long as there's a good selection of bars we'll manage. I've seen videos of the Folie Douce but never been to any of them.
    What kind of price would you be paying for beer in town when you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

I was there for 6 months, did the whole season. Folie is €7 for a pint. Then for après in town you have cafe face starts at €2.40 a pint from 4pm then rises by 20c an hour. Most bars are around €5-6 for a pint. They all have different après deals ranging from €3.50 up and deals like 2 for 1. There's bars catering for everything from live bands to dJ's it's what you make of it really.
    What time of year are you thinking?
    I'm hoping to go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

The transfer time to Morzine/Avoriaz is a big plus, and there's petty good boarding to be done. I've always stayed in Morzine but I believe Avoriaz is pretty deaf at night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭prunudo

karl83 wrote: »
    I was there for 6 months, did the whole season. Folie is €7 for a pint. Then for après in town you have cafe face starts at €2.40 a pint from 4pm then rises by 20c an hour. Most bars are around €5-6 for a pint. They all have different après deals ranging from €3.50 up and deals like 2 for 1. There's bars catering for everything from live bands to dJ's it's what you make of it really.
    What time of year are you thinking?
    I'm hoping to go back again.

Those prices aren't as bad as I had expected. We usually go the first or second week in feb, looking at the dates I'd imagine we'd be leaving on Jan 31st this year, the lads being auld romantics will want to be back in time for the 14th!!

Thanks cormee, I've heard good things about the terrain around Avoriaz/morzine, also the fact 'The Stash' is situated there would be a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

stayed in morzine 2 years ago, mightily impressed with the place but we were lucky and got massive snow falls. Night life was good by all accounts (i was a boring sh1te and didn't participate in the boozing that much). Avoriaz is a purpse built block of apartments type place, but it does have really nice runs all around, and is a better place to explore the wider region than morzine (remember it being a bit of a pain to get to avoriaz from morzine, ie lots of flatish runs). the stash was great craic, basically a safe off piste tree run area that we lapped and lapped and lapped. I would imagine that the avoriaz apres would be poor but that is just a guess really.
    Stayed in tignes a few years ago and sampled val, really liked it but would have to be based there to know for sure. Friends were there 2 years ago and they did give out a lot about the price of beer, but loved the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I haven't been to Avoriaz. I went to Val d'Isere a couple of years ago for a week and thought it was amazing. The conditions were superb, the area is incredibly picturesque. We were in a catered chalet so didn't spend as many nights out, but when we did I found drinks to be par for the course, no more expensive than Chamonix or anywhere else I've been.

The mountain is superb (got a Tignes & Val d'Isere pass), so much terrain, something for everyone. Le Face is terrifying! Some excellent tree runs, lots of accessible off piste to cater for varying skills. Loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Haven't been avioraz but I've been to val disere and I'd gladly reside there til the end of my days... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

I have been to Avoriaz many times and absolutely love the resort. Not visited Val yet as I am always happy to return to Avoriaz. We have gone to Avoriaz twice each season for the last number of years. For us the positives of Avoriaz are:

Short transfer.
    Access to huge linked ski area. Easy to avoid the crowds if it is busy.
    Ski in/ out.
    Small village, no cars, everything easily walkable.
    Brilliant instruction with Avoriaz Alpine Ski School (no connection just very happy customer).
    Comfortable but basic accommodation (P&V Apartment).
    Plenty of restaurants and bars to keep us happy for a week.
    The scenery (admittedly not to everyone's taste).

Avoriaz does have some lively bars but if night life is the deciding factor you might be better suited in Morzine which is far bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I would take val disere all day long, Avoiraz is ugly as sin, but the Porte Du Soleil is a great resort, but pound for pound Vald for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement