Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Late housing question

• 22-07-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am sorry if this is a wrong place to post this!
    I am transferring to Carlow IT from another country starting September, but the issue here is that I will not be in Ireland until September 11th. The courses start on 15th. The question is - what so I do in a situation like that? So I try and secure a place online via money transfer before I even see it? Do I wait till Sept 11th, unsure if there's gonna be anything available still?
    Please, advice as to what the housing situation in Carlow is. I mean, on the one hand, it's too risky to just pay the deposit to the person I've never seen in my life for the room I've never been to in my life; on the other hand, if I wait till the last moment there might be no place for me left to rent...
    If anybody could clear up the options for me here I'd REALLY appreciate it! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Hi there. You are posting in the right area so that is fine.

With how the housing situation usually is during the semesters in Carlow (considering that there are two colleges in the same town), it is usually better to acquire somewhere sooner rather than later as housing dries up quickly, and you may be left with somewhere that doesn't suit your needs. If you check out the links in this thread, they will lead you to the most popular sites for finding accommodation. You also have the option of asking the college if they can lend any assistance in helping you in any way. We had an email message sent around last year asking if some transfer students could be assisted in finding suitable housing/houseshares from within our class.

I know you won't arrive here until the semester is almost starting, but on those websites you'll find in the other thread I linked to above, they will have pictures of the housing, most images are usually up to date and accurate of the living conditions. As for payment to someone you haven't seen, most landlords will prefer payment by direct debit so while you may be wary about that (rightfully so), it seems to work out for the students who transfer here for a semester (for further clarification about doing this kind of payment, include this in your email or phonecall to the college if asking them for assistance). One other thing you can do is explain to a landlord over the phone about your situation and see if they can hold a space in a house for you. They might be nice enough to do this and allow you to pay your deposit & first month's rent when you come to Ireland!

Leaving it too late has never worked out great for me, personally. In a month's time (late August), most students will have taken most of the available housing so I recommend jumping on the idea of finding somewhere early and securing somewhere to live before you end up worrying about it.

I'm hoping the above text is at least enough for you to get a start on securing somewhere to live. Best of luck to you when you come here and have a great time in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Laurie9

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply!
    Unfortunately, no one that I've called agreed to hold a room for me till September (which, frankly, I understand). Anyway, I'm gonna consider my options really carefully now...
    Thanks again! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

You're welcome.

Cross those fingers and keep trying! Hopefully something works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jennywalters

Any one knows a good site for shared accommodation? I am looking for a room in the house or apartment but not a room share as in "bed in a room with someone"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Any one knows a good site for shared accommodation? I am looking for a room in the house or apartment but not a room share as in "bed in a room with someone"..

Daft.ie

Rent.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There does tend to be rooms advertised in the college throughout the year also, but it'd probably to late then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jieggie

Laurie9 wrote: »
    I am sorry if this is a wrong place to post this!
    I am transferring to Carlow IT from another country starting September, but the issue here is that I will not be in Ireland until September 11th. The courses start on 15th. The question is - what so I do in a situation like that? So I try and secure a place online via money transfer before I even see it? Do I wait till Sept 11th, unsure if there's gonna be anything available still?
    Please, advice as to what the housing situation in Carlow is. I mean, on the one hand, it's too risky to just pay the deposit to the person I've never seen in my life for the room I've never been to in my life; on the other hand, if I wait till the last moment there might be no place for me left to rent...
    If anybody could clear up the options for me here I'd REALLY appreciate it! :)

I'm in the same situation as you are! I have looked up many places in multiple websites and I have my eye on a few places but no final decisions made yet. I do know that Green Road, Southern Gardens and College Green are the popular and affordable choices but I personally would like to stay somewhere in between university and town. Are they any places or rooms you came across that are of your preference?

Advertisement