Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic World (may contain spoilers!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Big marine dinos terrorising a holiday resort and sinking boats and ... Oh that is Jaws isn't it? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    Big marine dinos terrorising a holiday resort and sinking boats and ... Oh that is Jaws isn't it? :D

First you would need marine mosquitos :D

Adam Khor wrote: »

OK Giant Marine mosquitos that ate dinosaurs whole have survived and attack from the sky, smashing in through windows and destroying telephone kiosks andd ... oh bugga that was the Birds. Have they all been done before? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

OK Giant Marine mosquitos that ate dinosaurs whole have survived and attack from the sky, smashing in through windows and destroying telephone kiosks andd ... oh bugga that was the Birds. Have they all been done before? :D

Jumanji had giant mosquitos that could pierce through car windshields :D

Hmm what about giant Jurassic fleas? They DID find them fossilized...

Nice idea but most of the cinemas over here have them already :pac:

Considering the Velociraptors developed into creatures that could reason and communicate, how about technological beasts? Possibly even have them riding on the backs of T.Rex and carrying weapons?

( I am running out of wild flights of fancy at this point)

• Advertisement

Nah, dinosaurs are supossed to be wild and primal... making them technological would ruin them IMHO...

Just give me new dinosaur species and keep the nature-knows-better spirit of the first movies and I'll be a happy camper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No doubt there were all manner of marine parasites back then. It'd be no huge leap of imagination to say they found blood/DNA in them. Marine reptiles could also have been washed up on beaches and eaten by mosquitoes.

Could have been nibbled by crabs? Crabs were then found with soft tissue in their claws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Maybe they ll go down the feathery dinosaur route.

Owryan wrote: »
    Maybe they ll go down the feathery dinosaur route.

If they do, I hope they do with a different dinosaur than the ones we've seen thus far. Putting feathers on the raptors now would break the continuity even more than the change of look for Jurassic Park III... although I guess they can always say that some dormant genes from the actual dinosaur genetic code were activated somehow after several generations... :cool:

• Advertisement

They're reverting back to their natural state of being... 'life finds a way' :P

Galvasean wrote: »
    They're reverting back to their natural state of being... 'life finds a way' :P

Yeah, I kind of like it now that I think about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Honestly the degeneration from the 1st movie to the second movie was astounding especially considering the quality of the source material.

Michael Crichton wrote Jurassic park and The lost world..........
    With Jurassic Park i feel like they kept relatively true to the essense of the book.

With the lost world they took the name and a few bits and pieces and ****ed up the rest......... if they stuck closer to the book they would of been fine.

By the time the third movie was made it was all just getting a little ridiculous i think.

If ever a series should go back to basics its this one. Get the script right and the rest will follow.

Honestly the degeneration from the 1st movie to the second movie was astounding especially considering the quality of the source material.

Michael Crichton wrote Jurassic park and The lost world..........
    With Jurassic Park i feel like they kept relatively true to the essense of the book.

With the lost world they took the name and a few bits and pieces and ****ed up the rest......... if they stuck closer to the book they would of been fine.

By the time the third movie was made it was all just getting a little ridiculous i think.

If ever a series should go back to basics its this one. Get the script right and the rest will follow.

I think this is a case of YMMV... I personally read both of Crichton's books and honestly, I like the movies more.

I thought the first Jurassic Park movie was brilliant. It had the same message as the novel, but was much more entertaining. The only thing I like more about the book is that it had more dinosaurs. Yet, every time there was a dinosaur on screen in the movie, it was an awesome moment, so no problem there...

As for The Lost World, I am actually grateful that they went on a different route... most of the characters in the book are unlikable (to me, anyways), especially that pedantic whiner Richard Levine and the unsufferable kids (well, there was Kelly in the movie and she is really kinda pointless but whatever). Let's face it, the only reason why there are kids in the book is so that Levine, Malcolm, Thorne, and Sarah can all speak page after page about scientific theories or their opinions on different matters- which are really Crichton's opinions. (Same happens in other books of him).
    And although this can be interesting for a reader, it would be very tedious if it was translated closely to a movie.
    I thought Spielberg did a fine job turning TLW into an adventure film with much more dinosaur action than the book had. Yeah, the characters were not very smart, but people are sometimes dumb in real life... it is certainly more believable than having everyone in the team sans the kids be an expert on everything like in the book.

As for Jurassic Park III, I found it to be extremely enjoyable. Spinosaurus + giant aviary filled with pterosaurs + that scene at the end when they give back the eggs= great adventure movie in my book.

I know some JP fans would recoil in horror reading this but, personally, if Jurassic Park IV is only as good as Jurassic Park III, I'll consider it a good sequel.

I just hope they keep respecting the main theme of the saga which is that nature is wiser than us, and prevails at the end. The moment the saga crosses into "Jaws" territory- in which the dinosaurs are monsters to be exterminated, that's the moment when Jurassic Park dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I think this is a case of YMMV... I personally read both of Crichton's books and honestly, I like the movies more.

I thought the first Jurassic Park movie was brilliant. It had the same message as the novel, but was much more entertaining. The only thing I like more about the book is that it had more dinosaurs. Yet, every time there was a dinosaur on screen in the movie, it was an awesome moment, so no problem there...

As for The Lost World, I am actually grateful that they went on a different route... most of the characters in the book are unlikable (to me, anyways), especially that pedantic whiner Richard Levine and the unsufferable kids (well, there was Kelly in the movie and she is really kinda pointless but whatever). Let's face it, the only reason why there are kids in the book is so that Levine, Malcolm, Thorne, and Sarah can all speak page after page about scientific theories or their opinions on different matters- which are really Crichton's opinions. (Same happens in other books of him).
    And although this can be interesting for a reader, it would be very tedious if it was translated closely to a movie.
    I thought Spielberg did a fine job turning TLW into an adventure film with much more dinosaur action than the book had. Yeah, the characters were not very smart, but people are sometimes dumb in real life... it is certainly more believable than having everyone in the team sans the kids be an expert on everything like in the book.

As for Jurassic Park III, I found it to be extremely enjoyable. Spinosaurus + giant aviary filled with pterosaurs + that scene at the end when they give back the eggs= great adventure movie in my book.

I know some JP fans would recoil in horror reading this but, personally, if Jurassic Park IV is only as good as Jurassic Park III, I'll consider it a good sequel.

I just hope they keep respecting the main theme of the saga which is that nature is wiser than us, and prevails at the end. The moment the saga crosses into "Jaws" territory- in which the dinosaurs are monsters to be exterminated, that's the moment when Jurassic Park dies.
    Its great that you enjoyed them, but the studio and everyone involved in the project will be looking for a success more like JP1 .
    Jurassic park 1 made over 900 million
    Jurassic park 2 made over 600 millon
    Jurassic park 3 made over 300 million

They need a solid storyline, which translates well to film before considering anything else, this is why no1 worked so well.

I do wish them all the best with Jurassic Park 4 and will say if its up to scratch i will go see it in the cinema.

Acutally Jurassic Park 1 in the cinema would be the most memorable movie of my childhood and an experience i will never forget.

Luckily JP!is being re-released this year in the cinemas. No plans for the sequels, so that has me thinking it won't reference them much.

I'm also one of those people who thinks The Lost World as a book is vastly overrated.

Told my 4 yo bout the new film, his dinosaur phase is being replaced by zombies, and he asked "will the dinosaurs be allowed off the island this time?" suppose man and dinosaurs trying to co exist could work .

I actually enjoy all 3 films but nothing beats the 1st appearance of the dinosaurs and the soundtrack to that moment

Told my 4 yo bout the new film, his dinosaur phase is being replaced by zombies, and he asked "will the dinosaurs be allowed off the island this time?" suppose man and dinosaurs trying to co exist could work .

I actually enjoy all 3 films but nothing beats the 1st appearance of the dinosaurs and the soundtrack to that moment

I agree. I still get that feel of awe whenever I see this scene. :>

What is it about zombies that they're so popular these days? :confused:

As for dinosaurs and people coexisting... I doubt it, I mean, look at all the mayhem that single T-Rex caused in San Diego (ok, it was said that he was crazed by the drugs they injected him with, but still, what stops a T-Rex from rampaging through the streets and eating dozens of people whenever its hungry? In a world in which leopards, cougars and bears are not tolerated near human settlements, I doubt the authorities would be happy having multi-ton predators roaming the suburbs...)

If the dinos do go to the mainland this time, I bet the main characters will try to capture them all before the authorities shoot them, or before they either kill a lot of people directly, or spread some sort of disease like in TLW book.
    But that would be a lot like the San Diego sequence at the end of the TLW movie, and a lot like Primeval too, so I doubt they're going down that route...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

What is it about zombies that they're so popular these days? :confused:

There's an element of fashionability about it - during the JP years dinos were quite en vogue, and we went through a period of alien obsession during the X-Files years. At the time JP was released the "dino-DNA" (still love that phrase :D) had been discovered and the question of genetically engineering a real life dinosaur was all over the media. Now we've become a world where viruses and unknown microbes are a real threat to us, and zombies fit in with that idea.

I remember seeing JP1 the day after it was released in Leicester Square and nearly losing my life with excitement. I read the book not long after and devoured it in one night, but I try not to compare the two, they're so similar and yet evoke such different feelings. I was genuinely scared reading the book, but enthralled watching the story play out in front of my eyes on screen.

I'll be tentatively excited about JPIV - I enjoyed all the previous movies, but in the case of JPIII it was no more than an eye candy movie, and it would be great to have a bit more substance to the next one.

g'em wrote: »
    There's an element of fashionability about it - during the JP years dinos were quite en vogue, and we went through a period of alien obsession during the X-Files years. At the time JP was released the "dino-DNA" (still love that phrase :D) had been discovered and the question of genetically engineering a real life dinosaur was all over the media. Now we've become a world where viruses and unknown microbes are a real threat to us, and zombies fit in with that idea.

Such fads must replace each other very subtly because I actually believed dinosaurs were still quite "en vogue", and same with aliens... they're things that just refuse to let go of our imagination... I think the only reason why we don´t get more dinosaur movies or TV shows is because they're hard to fit in a story- either it's genetically revived creatures as in JP (which feels like a ripoff), or time travel as in Primeval or Terra Nova, or a "Lost World" scenario which is hard to believe nowadays...

On the other hand, I did notice a sudden popularity increase for vampires with the whole Twilight (ugh) and True Blood things. I just never noticed when zombies started becoming so popular; it was like, one day I woke up, and everyone was talking about them...

• Advertisement

Dinosaurs have been gradually slipping out of vogue for years now. I was rummaging around toy shops around Christmas looking for something to get my nephew. There's not much in the way of dinosaur toys outside of the cheap rubbery ones or the ghastly overpriced Sleich models. When JP1and JP2 came out the toy lines were huge - the real in thing. When JP3 came out there was a toyline, but it wasn't as big or as successful as those of the previous films. Heck, a lot of the JP3 line (incluing the really big Spino toy) didn't make it as far as Europe. Kenner must have decided to cut their loses after it didn't do so well in the States. The Chaos Effects line didn't make it this far at all. The big toy companies seem reluctant to commit to a large scale dinosaur line without a successful movie/TV franchise to piggyback off (hence why Star Wars, Ben10 and Transformers are everywhere). A good Jurassic Park film would fix that quite quickly.

Nostalgia trip.

It's not just the lack of big dinosaur movies, but also TV shows. Back in the 90s we had Walking With Dinosaurs which was a massive success. Now we have Dinosaur Revolution which is crap by comparison. It doesn't really get people excited about dinosaurs in the same way. Terra Nova bombed badly as well. Primeval had a toyline which was reasonably successful over here, but didn't make much impact in the States (as far as I'm aware they didn't get that far). I guess it was considered too niche a product.

Santy delivered some pretty neat dinosaur sets to my house this year, along the lines of the vehicles used in TLW to trap the various dino's .

Hopefully the re-release of JP and the release of JP IV will give dinosaurs a new lease of life. The problem I think is that a lot of kiddies book/tv shows have cartoonised dinosaurs and taken away their mystery and fierceness. While more grown up tv has definatly dumbed down or gone down the road of the "big bad baddy".

In TLW I could understand why the t-rex were chasing the people but in JP 3 there seemed no reason for spiny to keep hunting them.

Santy delivered some pretty neat dinosaur sets to my house this year, along the lines of the vehicles used in TLW to trap the various dino's .

These ones? My nephew has a few of them. They seem harder to come by these days.
    http://www.jptoys.com/other-toy-lines/chap-mei/dino-valley-2/index.htm

Actually, look at all those JP toy lines that didn't make it to this neck of the woods :(
    http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/index.php

Galvasean wrote: »
    These ones? My nephew has a few of them. They seem harder to come by these days.
    http://www.jptoys.com/other-toy-lines/chap-mei/dino-valley-2/index.htm

Actually, look at all those JP toy lines that didn't make it to this neck of the woods :(
    http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/index.php

These :http://www.toys.ie/Dino-Valley-Capture-Playset-!116429-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=a1d36e22-4f00-4b32-b43a-2407bf1e4295

And these: http://www.toys.ie/Dinosaur-Playset-!106342-prd.aspx

One thing I still don't understand. If they can make dinos from blood dna found in mosquitos Waht species of mosquito sucked the blood from the plant species that has been extinct since the Cretaceous?

One thing I still don't understand. If they can make dinos from blood dna found in mosquitos Waht species of mosquito sucked the blood from the plant species that has been extinct since the Cretaceous?

Well, you know how male mosquitos feed on plant juices instead of blood? Females need the blood to make eggs, so the female mosquitos would yield the dinosaur DNA and I suposse (let's not get into whether this would be possible at all or not) the males would yield plant DNA... either that or from other insects that feed on sap or stuff like that.

Fun things those sets. They have a Pirates line too. I got my nephew the one with the shark last year. I assure you it is no referred to as Cretoxyrhina.

Meh, I have no nephews to infect with my dinosaur obsession :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I enjoyed all the movies, the first will always hold special memories for me though!

Was brought to see it for my birthday an was blown away! :)
    Used to collect dinosaur magazines an all at the time! Every issue you got the part of a T -Rex skeleton!
    I remember I collected every single part, no idea where it is now though :(:(

If they just started from scratch for JP4 or even ignored 2 and 3 I'd say there is potential for something quality.
    There is too much (rubbishy) back story that it could get hung up on if they continue on from JP 2 and 3 i reckon!

• Advertisement

They seemed to hint at funky underhanded doin's a transpirin' in JP3 with the "That wasn't on Ingen's list" line. I wouldn't want to completely overlook JP3, despite not thinking it was any much use as a film, as there could be potential in there.

Advertisement