Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Currys & PC World Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Amazon Kindle Fire HD etc..

24.10.2012 09:55 #1
Hi lads,
Any date on when the new Amazon Kindle fire devices are available in Ireland through retail such as yourselves. You can order them online from amazon.co.uk but just wondering when you fellas will have them.
Many thanks,
E.
24.10.2012 11:12 #2
Originally posted by Eamo71
Hi lads,
Any date on when the new Amazon Kindle fire devices are available in Ireland through retail such as yourselves. You can order them online from amazon.co.uk but just wondering when you fellas will have them.
Many thanks,
E.

Just tried to order myself on amazon and they're giving a not shipping to Ireland message so I don't think they're shipping quite yet. The guidelines we're getting is that the dots have not all been joined up yet for an Ireland launch and that's being worked on. We were here before on the Kindle launch and that saw us somewhat behind the UK in launch timings but it got sorted out in time. More info when I have it
1 thank
24.10.2012 12:35 #3
Originally posted by Currys PC World: Declan

Just tried to order myself on amazon and they're giving a not shipping to Ireland message so I don't think they're shipping quite yet. The guidelines we're getting is that the dots have not all been joined up yet for an Ireland launch and that's being worked on. We were here before on the Kindle launch and that saw us somewhat behind the UK in launch timings but it got sorted out in time. More info when I have it

Thanks, Declan.
24.10.2012 12:39 #4
Hi I used Parcel motel to get one. As Declan said, Amazon are not shipping to Ireland so that was the only way I could get it. I should have it in the morning :)
1 thank
27.10.2012 19:36 #5
Hi,

quick question if I buy a Kindle Fire from Amazon.com for delivery to Ireland will I be able to purchase books/apps etc.

My eldest is after one of these for Christmas and I'm confused about where to buy the Kindle. I could get it delivered to my sister in law in Liverpool from Amazon.co.uk but (again) will he able to purchase/download books/apps to that kindle.

It all seems very confusing to me .......
29.10.2012 18:47 #6
Originally posted by molly111
Hi,

quick question if I buy a Kindle Fire from Amazon.com for delivery to Ireland will I be able to purchase books/apps etc.

My eldest is after one of these for Christmas and I'm confused about where to buy the Kindle. I could get it delivered to my sister in law in Liverpool from Amazon.co.uk but (again) will he able to purchase/download books/apps to that kindle.

It all seems very confusing to me .......

To the best of my knowledge, amazon wont ship kindle fire hds to Ireland no matter what way you do it.
Regarding apps....
i purchased a kindle fire hd recently (in a store outside ireland)
Because my credit card has an Irish billing address, and Ireland is not on the list of countries where kindle services are supported, i cannot download any apps, free or paid.
you can however use other ways :rolleyes: which would be against the rules to post here.

You will be able to purchase books and other digital content such as tv episodes and movie. why are amazon letting us do this but not download apps, i do not know. Also, to use the kindle, you MUST have an amazon account with an up to date credit card that can be used for 'one click' purchases

ive used the google nexus 7 many times and it is good, but I much prefer the kindle fire hd. its a great device and also has more storage, a higher ppi, and mini hdmi out support letting you connect to your moniter or tv.
The version of android on the kindle is restrictive but it doesnt bother me for what i want to do.

so to answer your question, if your child is any way tech savvy or wants a tablet purely content consumption, they will easily be able to find ways around amazons restrictions. If they are less knowledgable or want a tablet to play games, they could be better off with a nexus 7, thus giving them a quad core cpu better for gaming and a full android experience with easy access to all apps.
1 thank
30.10.2012 09:36 #7
thanks bezka - more food for thought. At least I have a few more weeks to decide....
30.10.2012 11:24 #8
Good Morning,

Bezka is right on this one, Amazon are currently working on getting the publishing rights to sell their app’s and books in Ireland so once they cross the T’s and dot the I’s on the finer details we will be able to sell them in our Irish stores.
(which were hoping is soon)
Sean
01.11.2012 01:12 #9
Originally posted by Currys PC World: Webteam
Good Morning,

Bezka is right on this one, Amazon are currently working on getting the publishing rights to sell their app’s and books in Ireland so once they cross the T’s and dot the I’s on the finer details we will be able to sell them in our Irish stores.
(which were hoping is soon)
Sean

Thought id update.
I tried using amazon prime to watch videos for the first time back in Ireland witg the kindle and I couldn't due to "geographical restrictions"
I guess this means I have to be physically present in an eligible country.
01.11.2012 09:41 #10
Originally posted by bezka
Thought id update.
I tried using amazon prime to watch videos for the first time back in Ireland witg the kindle and I couldn't due to "geographical restrictions"
I guess this means I have to be physically present in an eligible country.

Amazon will put up geographical restrictions until they work out all T’s and C’s in that region so as soon as that’s sorted out you should be able to watch some videos.
Sean
1 thank
11.11.2012 20:29 #11
Just wondering if it is worth just getting a hold of the Kindle Fire, have the opportunity to buy one in the UK so should I just go ahead and get it on the assumption that Amazon will have it up and running soon? Also from what I am reading on the boards it still seems that there is plenty that can still be done with it meanwhile. Many thanks
11.11.2012 20:30 #12
Was looking at one in Asda in Enniskillen today... lovely, a bit heaver than the average tablet but very nice!
11.11.2012 20:32 #13
Would you buy it at the moment even with the restrictions that seem to be on it
11.11.2012 21:15 #14
Originally posted by ali2316
Would you buy it at the moment even with the restrictions that seem to be on it

My personal view is that these should be sorted out in time. There's no guarantee on that and I've no particular insight, just an opinion
1 thank
12.11.2012 22:09 #15
Hi Sean, wanting to get my dad a tablet for Christmas, I initially wanted to get him the kindle fire, worried now though that these issues will never be sorted and he'll be stuck with it , Thinking the Samsung Galaxy instead now or Google nexus? If it was for me i'd take the chance and go with the fire, any advice? How long do amazon usually take to sort these types of issues out?
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video