Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Three Representatives

8 hrs
Response Time
98%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday-Friday: 10am-4pm

Three broadband- high ping

01.08.2012 00:28 #1
I have the '3Broadband Pro' broadband plan.
Recently I started playing a lot of First Person Shooters in the multiplayer mode. Everything is good until early afternoon hours when the 'bad' 100ms ping I becomes an 'unplayable' 300ms ping. Then after 3am it becomes 100ms again. *I am playing on London servers, signal strength is 4/5 bars*
The average DL speed I get is around 0.7Mbit and it is not changing as much as the ping.

Can anyone tell me why this happens? Why the ping becomes so high, and is there a way to 'fix' this? I really don't want to stay up to 3am to play a video game. :(
Last edited by Mario852: 01.08.2012 at 00:34.
1 thank
01.08.2012 11:17 #2
More users on your cell, basically. The only way to improve this is to increase the capacity of the core network that supports the cellular infractructure.
01.08.2012 11:32 #3
Hi Mario852, can you send a PM to Fiona by clicking the link in my signature with your account details and exact location or co-ordinates and we'll get this checked out? Also include examples (date/time/speedtests) of connections that were poor and we'll take a look and get back to you in 24-48 hours.

1. Go to http://maps.google.com/
2. Find your exact location on the map
3. Right click on your location and choose 'What's here' from the menu
4. Co-ordinates will appear in the search box above in the format xx.xxxxxx,-x.xxxxxx
01.08.2012 12:41 #4
Originally posted by Mario852
Can anyone tell me why this happens? Why the ping becomes so high, and is there a way to 'fix' this? I really don't want to stay up to 3am to play a video game. :(

3G is not broadband. You are expecting too much from it. 3G is NOT a replacement for home broadband from the likes of eircom, Digiweb, UPC etc.
2 thanks
01.08.2012 23:30 #5
Originally posted by RangeR
3G is not broadband. You are expecting too much from it. 3G is NOT a replacement for home broadband from the likes of eircom, Digiweb, UPC etc.

I will consider everything you say as b.s. unless you provide some proof of what you are saying.
02.08.2012 11:20 #6
Closed Account
I will consider everything you say as b.s. unless you provide some proof of what you are saying.

Read the full article - http://www.wattystuff....sues/mobile-and-nbs/ .
1 thank
02.08.2012 11:25 #7
Originally posted by RangeR

3 provide 2x the DL and 6x UL as eircom (for half the price, too) here, and I'm in an urban area, so it actually is a replacement for home broadband in many cases.
1 thank
02.08.2012 11:29 #8
Closed Account
Originally posted by PseudoFamous
3 provide 2x the DL and 6x UL as eircom (for half the price, too) here, and I'm in an urban area, so it actually is a replacement for home broadband in many cases.

But they can't provide it reliably throughout the day. Great if you are one of the few with a good connection many 3 users don't and never will have that.
02.08.2012 11:35 #9
Originally posted by eirator
But they can't provide it reliably throughout the day. Great if you are one of the few with a good connection many 3 users don't and never will have that.

That's the thing, though: if you're not in an area that 3 provide well for, eircom are very unlikely to outperform anyway. Combine that with the fact that 3 are much cheaper, and I think its fair to say that 3 are in fact a replacement for, and often far superior to a wired connection in many places
02.08.2012 12:15 #10
Originally posted by PseudoFamous

It's not all about speed. 3G just cannot compete on latency and reliability, consistently.

I will consider everything you say as b.s. unless you provide some proof of what you are saying

Seeing as you are new here, I'll let that one slide.
03.08.2012 00:54 #11
Mobile technology will never be able to compete with wired broadband. It will always be subject to geographical contitions / tarrain, distance from mast / signal strength, number of users connected to mast, and most important of all - a limited radio spectrum!

Each mobile network is allocated a certain amount of spectrum. Once this spectrum has been maxed out, all you can do is start building smaller cells & putting the masts closer and closer together (in order to reuse the available spectrum) but there is a practical limit to this (cost, planning permission etc etc). I'm not sure exactly why ping is so high but it would make sense to think that the data packets have to go from the phone to the radio mast, over to the core network - often by microwave, to the server and then back; going through various types of interferance on its way.

Take a wired cable or DSL connection and you have a dedicated cable going straight to your house with infinate spectrum available to you if need be! And because the data is travelling through a wire all the way to the core network & to the server, the interferance will be a lot less and you will have an overall more robust connection.

LTE has a lower ping and more efficent use of spectrum than 3g, but this too is limited to the available spectrum allocated to the mobile network, and you can't stop over the air interferance, and there'll always be black spots in mobile coverage.

So basically you can obviously replace your DSL or cable broadband with 3g, but I wouldn't ever expect to get the same kind of consistency or robustness from it as I would from a wired connection.

BTW I'm not an expert in any of this so I stand corrected if I'm wrong about anything.
Last edited by andy.85: 03.08.2012 at 01:02. Reason: btw
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon