Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Bank of Ireland Representatives

6 hrs
Response Time
87%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm

Okay lads lets cut to the heart of the Visa Debit card issue - ordering on Dominos.ie

08.07.2012 18:43 #1
Has anyone managed to get this to work yet?

I'm a lazy lazy man, and I'm not arsed going out to get cash to come back in to get pizza, especially when it's raining. Somewhat defeats the purpose of getting a Visa card.

Thumbs up by the way BOI if you're reading this, managed to fix what ain't broken to begin with. Was fairly amazed that this card was just plopped in my letter box last week with no notice, and my laser card is now useless.

You wouldn't think about just leaving laser cards online for about a month while people sorted out bugs? Nah, that would be too sensible. -_-
1 thank
09.07.2012 11:50 #2
Hi thomashood10,

Apologies that you aren't happy with your new Visa Debit card. We switched from Laser to Visa Debit as it would generally offer a greater worldwide and online acceptance along with more security and protection for our customers. I understand that you have had an issue using the card online and just want to check a few things so that I can report the issue for you.

Firstly, have you activated your Visa Debit card by using it in a Bank of Ireland ATM? You have two months to activate the card and your Laser card will continue to function until you do. If you haven't activated the card, you would be unable to use it online or at a point of sale.

If you have activated the card, what was the problem you encountered when you were trying to use the card with Dominos.ie? Did you receive any error messages?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Pat
09.07.2012 23:50 #3
Elevation: 5,023ft
I'm living overseas and my postal mail has been switched off. I only occasionally use the Laser - will it expire before the expiry date?

Also if I live overseas how would I validate the Visa Debit in an ATM?
10.07.2012 14:36 #4
Hi MadsL.

All Laser cards will be replaced with our new Visa Debit cards before the end of September 2012. As a result, your current Laser card will not remain active until its expiry date as all Laser cards are deactivated two months after the Visa Debit is due to be issued.

As you have the postal mail switched off on your account, we are unable to send the new Visa Debit card to you. Unfortunately, we cannot confirm when exactly your Laser card will deactivate without more information. If you could PM us with your name, contact number and account holding branch, I can arrange for a representative to give you a call. This will allow us to look into this matter in more detail and also confirm the nearest location where you can activate the new Visa Debit card.

Hope this helps.
Laura
1 thank
19.07.2012 20:03 #5
Hi Laura,

I was contacted by the rep and was astonished to learn the following.

1. If I request the Visa debit card ahead of time I will be charged.
2. I cannot get the card sent to me unless I change my billing address - naturally BoI are still in the 19th Century and this has to be done by post (which means I'm looking at about a month back-and-forth to get this organised. By the way your web team might want to look at the fact AIB allow changes of address (like most utilities) online instead of paper.

How can I change my details (e.g. address, account details) held by AIB?
Please contact our Customer Service Adviser team on 0818 724 724(International +353 1 771 2424).
Enter your Registration Number, the requested digits of your PAC, and then dial 0 for a Customer Service Adviser. Any necessary checks and changes can be made immediately.

http://www.aib.ie/serv...section=aib-S005#q03

I note that one other thread here notes that one branch even lost the paperwork even though someone emigrating went into the branch before they left for NZ. They now will doubtless be waiting a month for their funds as you don't accept fax instructions or online instructions.
3. I'm reluctant to change my address as you will start sending me statements again which I do not want and consider a security risk.
4. I cannot, even in writing (even sent by mailcoach or carrier pigeon) send a special instruction to the bank to send my card to a particular address.

With so many people emigrating, could you as a bank please get with the plot and stop making life so difficult for emigrees and modernise your processes. Fax instructions are a part and parcel of modern life - many banks now use electronic signatures for instant instructions. I was absolutely astonished to learn BoI has removed fax facilities for new business accounts from 2009 :eek:

I hope your electronic banking is better for businesses than what consumer customers have to endure.

Doubtless you will come back with the line "We cannot comment on other bank's practices" - I'm actually asking for BoI to put the customer first instead of your outdated 'policies'.

If you want to answer one question, in summary. Why can I not change address online as other banks facilitate?
20.07.2012 14:08 #6
Hi MadsL,

Originally posted by MadsL
Why can I not change address online as other banks facilitate?

Thanks for your feedback on this issue. As you quite rightly said, we can't speak about other banks' procedures. However, we are committed to enhancing our customers' experience and we've passed your comments on to the relevant areas for consideration.

Also, to add to the above, we expect to have the facility for eStatements in place for Banking365 customers in the near future. We'll keep you updated on it in our forum.

Thanks,
Graham
20.07.2012 17:57 #7
Originally posted by Bank of Ireland: Graham
Hi MadsL,

Thanks for your feedback on this issue. As you quite rightly said, we can't speak about other banks' procedures. However, we are committed to enhancing our customers' experience and we've passed your comments on to the relevant areas for consideration.

Also, to add to the above, we expect to have the facility for eStatements in place for Banking365 customers in the near future. We'll keep you updated on it in our forum.

Thanks,
Graham

Thanks for the response Graham, please pass feedback (and I'm not the only one having grief) about the difficulties faced by overseas customers dealing with BoI.

BoI's absolute blind insistence on postal communication and stock response of "compliance" is complete nonsense in 2012, especially when other banks seem to manage it.
11.08.2012 17:36 #8
Would just like to say one month on, this is still an issue

Has anyone managed to get around this? I'm not that annoyed about it, but it would be handy to get this sorted.

It just keeps getting declined. I have money in the bank, the card works for all face to face transactions, and ebay/paypal..

Still baffled as to why I NEED this card, I have a Mastercard from BOI already, don't know why this needed to be implemented so urgently.

If anyone who has had this issue with the card knows a fix, post it here.
11.08.2012 17:47 #9
On the "managed to fix what ain't broken to begin with", you are not considering that the bank was not making enough money out of the lazer cards, when you used a lazer card the fee the bank received was a flat 25c , now that you are using Visa they get 2.5% of the value of the transaction. Good times :)
3 thanks
11.08.2012 17:58 #10
Closed Account
Originally posted by number66
On the "managed to fix what ain't broken to begin with", you are not considering that the bank was not making enough money out of the lazer cards, when you used a lazer card the fee the bank received was a flat 25c , now that you are using Visa they get 2.5% of the value of the transaction. Good times :)

Ouch. I use my Laser for work and i put a lot through on it. I presume that's a charge to the merchant not the consumer?
11.08.2012 18:31 #11
Originally posted by Pottler
Ouch. I use my Laser for work and i put a lot through on it. I presume that's a charge to the merchant not the consumer?

The charge falls on the retailer/seller. The Laser card was loved by retailers due to it's low cost.
13.08.2012 09:50 #12
Hi thomashood10,

Thanks for contacting us.

Visa Debit offers more functionality and added security than Laser.
It's also generally more accepted worldwide than Laser.
More details can be found here:

When your card is declined on the Dominos website, does it give you any specific error message?

Thanks

Billy
13.08.2012 09:57 #13
Category Moderator
I have used an ulster bank visa debit on dominos without problems.
28.08.2012 23:11 #14
I'm also unable to use my visa debit card to order online on dominos.ie

after entering the card details, im directed to the verified by visa page where I enter my password and then I get the following error:

"Payment declined Sorry, we are unable to authorise the payment on your card. Please try again."

I have checked the account and the funds are there to cover the transaction.

Any advice on what I should do?
Any number I can call to check why the transaction was declined?

Thanks in advance
29.08.2012 10:23 #15
Hi nern,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are not aware of any issues with using Visa Debit on Dominos.ie. We are keen to look into this further, as we have had previous posts regarding this issue but have not had the opportunity to investigate a specific incident. Can you please PM us your name, contact phone number and the name of your account holding branch and I'll arrange for a representative to contact you?

As you have less than 25 posts you may not be able to PM us directly. I've sent you a private message from our side which you should be able to reply to with the details above.

Thanks,
Tara
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image