Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

13 hrs
Response Time
95%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

Tesco Mobile Data Service Changes

18.09.2012 09:58 #46
Verified representative
Originally posted by Galego
Thanks for the info Paul. Please keep us posted on any progress made in regards to the network speeds.

By the way, this was my morning speed test with my mobile.

Download: 1,344 Mbps
Upload: 970 Mbps
Ping: 695 ms

Ping looks odd but the other 2 speeds are good.
18.09.2012 10:01 #47
Thanks a lot Paul ... it is good to know that all the card are in your hands to make it happen and it is not a political/business issue.
18.09.2012 10:21 #48
Originally posted by fixxation
Hi,
I bought a Tesco Mobile Pay As You Go SIM this morning so I could run a few tests. Average ping I'm getting is around 1000ms, 0.10-0.90Mbps download, 0.55-0.85Mpbs upload... certainly not great.

Is this about normal Tesco Mobile data performance... are these the sort of speeds that I should expect if I switch?

Cheers

From my experience (in Dublin) you can expect better that this on average.

I would say that roughly my experience when on 3G is:
- 10% of the time I get "full" speed with download peeks at 1.5MBPS and upload coming close to 1MPBS (but very irregular). This works well for everything except massive uploads and is probably not too far behind the experience of an unthrottled network.
- 85% of the time I get "reasonable" speeds with download in the 700KBPS-1MBPS range and upload very irregular but at 500KBPS on average. Ping usually around 100ms but sometimes goes up like crazy. This works pretty well for web browsing, emails, and most basic applications, and sometimes but not too often causes issues with more demanding applications in terms of bandwidth or latency (youtube videos sometimes have issues, Siri on the iPhones sometimes times out, Skype calls sometimes aren't very clear ...). Overall it is acceptable but you will most likely notice it if you do more than web browsing and emails.
- 5% of the times it is very bad. Even opening a web page or displaying the local map on Google Maps is painfully slow and can take more than a minute. When this happens aside from iMessage, light email use, and emergency map and web use; there is not much online stuff I can do with the phone.

My percentages are based on my own experience and this would probably change depending on when and where you use the service :-)
Last edited by Bob24: 18.09.2012 at 11:20.
18.09.2012 10:46 #49
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Paul
Ping looks odd but the other 2 speeds are good.

I think that was meant to be 69.5ms :D
18.09.2012 14:53 #50
Cheers for that, Bob. I continued my tests with the PAYG SIM this morning. Overall I got the same speeds that you mentioned below, pretty much with the same consistency that you mentioned below. I'm happy with that for now, it is useable *most* of the time- so that is fine with me and I look forward to the day the network upgrade takes place so that it's constantly good and the bottleneck (or cap? ;)) is removed.

Just ordered SIMs for my wife and myself a few minutes ago, looking forward to joining this network.

Originally posted by Bob24
From my experience (in Dublin) you can expect better that this on average.

I would say that roughly my experience when on 3G is:
- 10% of the time I get "full" speed with download peeks at 1.5MBPS and upload coming close to 1MPBS (but very irregular). This works well for everything except massive uploads and is probably not too far behind the experience of an unthrottled network.
- 85% of the time I get "reasonable" speeds with download in the 700KBPS-1MBPS range and upload very irregular but at 500KBPS on average. Ping usually around 100ms but sometimes goes up like crazy. This works pretty well for web browsing, emails, and most basic applications, and sometimes but not too often causes issues with more demanding applications in terms of bandwidth or latency (youtube videos sometimes have issues, Siri on the iPhones sometimes times out, Skype calls sometimes aren't very clear ...). Overall it is acceptable but you will most likely notice it if you do more than web browsing and emails.
- 5% of the times it is very bad. Even opening a web page or displaying the local map on Google Maps is painfully slow and can take more than a minute. When this happens aside from iMessage, light email use, and emergency map and web use; there is not much online stuff I can do with the phone.

My percentages are based on my own experience and this would probably change depending on when and where you use the service :-)
1 thank
19.09.2012 17:05 #51
I'm currently considering moving over to Tesco Mobile, and I was just wondering if you had any plans to add Data Roaming packages

Regards

Conor
20.09.2012 09:49 #52
Originally posted by conor_ie
I'm currently considering moving over to Tesco Mobile, and I was just wondering if you had any plans to add Data Roaming packages

Regards

Conor

Hi Conor

At the moment Tesco Mobile do not have a data roaming agreement. We're currently in the final stages of setting this up and as soon as I have a date I will post to let you know.

Unfortunately I wont have information on Data Roaming packages until then.

Regards

Leona
20.09.2012 14:54 #53
Originally posted by conor_ie

Regards

Conor

Hi Conor

Data Roaming has just been confirmed today. The cost will be a flat rate of 30c per MB (billed in KB). This will show on our website later.

Thanks
Leona
20.09.2012 14:58 #54
Verified representative
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Leona
Hi Conor

Data Roaming has just been confirmed today. The cost will be a flat rate of 30c per MB (billed in KB). This will show on our website later.

Thanks
Leona

Hi All

Just to confirm here

UK Roaming Data is 30c per MB
Remainder of EU 27 countries is 86c per MB

We dont offer data roaming outside UK and EU 27 yet but we will be looking at this again over the next year.

regards
Paul
18.12.2012 19:36 #55
Verified representative
We made a major network change last night that will bring benefits in Ping times and consistency of speeds under the 2MBit cap.

Where you are in good 3G coverage you should see improved ping speeds (<100ms) and better speeds between 1 and 2Mbits per seconds

Please fee free to feedback here.

regards
Paul
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list