Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Electric Ireland Representatives

9 hrs
Response Time
100%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 6pm

Agressive Calling for Bill Payment

18.06.2012 21:11 #46
Superscouse unLTD
Originally posted by robd
I was called regarding 2 bills when I couldn't possible have received the 2nd bill. If you issue bill on 08/05 (I double checked date) how could I possible have received it on the morning of 09/05 when you called demanding payment of 2 unpaid bills? You then called 4 times on 10/05. How could the money (paid through online banking on evening of 09/05, the very same day I received bill) have reached your system by them. I can understand the calls from day 14 of bill 2 but not on day 2 and 3 of bill 2. It's ridiculous harassment. Again this is nothing to do with due date.

I was also called regard 1st bill some weeks ago.

Also, stop calling them gentle reminders. Gentle they are not.

This is a new bully boy tactic on the part of Electric Ireland.

While I disagree with the liberties that the OP is taking, How can you possibly condone ringing someone FOUR times in one day (unless the calls were going unanswered)
18.06.2012 22:34 #47
Closed Account
Originally posted by robbie7730
Originally posted by intelcore
The point is many people including my self are being asked to wait until customers pay then we get payed therefore on a monthly budget it's roof over our heads then food on the table then electric in that order regardless of wheather electric Ireland think there hard done by ..this is a circle for everybody not just business and harrassing people and calling it reminders will not solve things

Not everyone though. Some poster(s) admitted they pay on time every time, but then compare electricity to food for the others that are not so fortunate to be able to do so.

Not unusual on boards though.

Well that comparison stemmed from a poster saying electricity is a basic human need.
To avoid the calls, ring them and tell them when you can pay, because until then, they won't know.
1 thank
19.06.2012 09:23 #48
Originally posted by superscouse
While I disagree with the liberties that the OP is taking, How can you possibly condone ringing someone FOUR times in one day (unless the calls were going unanswered)

Hi supercouse,

On this occasion, it has not been specified whether these were answered/missed calls, but we are more than happy to investigate any case in which a customer feels unduly hassled, or contacted excessively.

Originally posted by intelcore
The point is many people including my self are being asked to wait until customers pay then we get payed therefore on a monthly budget it's roof over our heads then food on the table then electric in that order

We do have a monthly direct debit option (called the Equalizer) whereby a set amount is debited each month on a day of your choosing. If this sounds like something that might help, please feel free to PM me your account details and I can see about setting it up.

Thanks,

David.
1 thank
19.06.2012 10:04 #49
Originally posted by Onixx
Well that comparison stemmed from a poster saying electricity is a basic human need.

It seemed more like it was comparing delaying payment for an electricity bill, with walking out of a shop with food without paying. Doing that is stealing. So the poster was hinting it is the same as a person who used electricity, then struggles to pay. These comparisons are typical of boards like I said earlier.

The OP`s scenario is not the general idea I am posting about, which sounds like delaying payments they actually can make. There are a Lot out there with arrears and/or are struggling to pay. And they would find it a struggle to manage without electricity, even if you and thankful posters say a cave man can survive without it.

To avoid the calls, ring them and tell them when you can pay, because until then, they won't know.

Apparently they call with hidden numbers, and probably ask for verifying personal details? How do they verify they are who they say they are when dialing with a hidden number?

If you can't afford your bill cut down on your electricity usage, it's fairly simple.

This thread has the verified representitives in it, and some unverified ones by the look of some of the posts:pac:
19.06.2012 10:11 #50
Closed Account
Perhaps - or perhaps they just work in customer service in any company and are able to see the company's perspective too. Why wait until the bill? It's a bit needy tbh. Why not just pop in whatever bits and pieces you can during the 10-week (or more) duration between when a billing period starts and when the bill has to be paid? I agree it is a bit much to wait until the bill, hence I can partially understand the supermarket analogy. If there is still an amount outstanding by the due date though, then contact the company to avoid the calls that are the result of not meeting the agreed payment terms.

That last comment wasn't made by me - I wouldn't agree it's always easy to cut down on usage (although I'd urge trying as hard as possible - to anyone, not just those in financial difficulty).
Re calling back: I meant call Electric Ireland customer service.
Last edited by Madam_X: 19.06.2012 at 10:20.
1 thank
19.06.2012 10:26 #51
Perhaps - or perhaps they just work in customer service in any company and are able to see the company's perspective too.

That`s just it, when someone says its simple to solve your difficulties, cut down on usage, they see only a company perspective, not people in difficulty`s perspective.

That last comment wasn't made by me - I wouldn't agree it's always easy to cut down on usage (although I'd urge trying as hard as possible - to anyone, not just those in financial difficulty).
Re calling back: I meant call Electric Ireland customer service.

I knew what you meant about calling them, for people in difficulty. I would recommend that myself. But when a hidden number from a company calls someone in a payment reminder call and asks for personal details to verify, how do they verify who they are to the person they are calling?

It would not seem beyond possibility for a bogus caller to get personal details that way. I`m surprised anyone answers hidden number calls, if indeed they are hidden.
19.06.2012 11:03 #52
...Why wait until the bill? It's a bit needy tbh. ....

But why not wait for the bill. Trickling in payments sounds lovely but just adds a lot of extra transactions that you don't need to. PITA when doing a monthly spreadsheet. There's nothing wrong with waiting for the bill. In my experience DD cause more headaches than they solve, because when they (not just ESB all companies) make a mistake, getting it corrected is more effort than putting a man on the moon.

I pay mine manually, with the result that once or twice, I've missed it and got one of these "reminder" phone call for payment. Except it wasn't a reminder, it was a aggressive demand for payment and tbh I was quite taken back by the attitude of rep on the end. They were very aggressive and I'm using to dealing with difficult people on the phone. I said simply forgotten about it, and would pay it later online, they insisted I pay it there and then by CC. Which I refused and ended the phone call. Considering I've been a customer for over a decade, I don't see why such aggressive calling is warranted. I think they rang 2 or three times the same day. I considered reporting the phone call, but was too busy to chase it up. Other people I know have had similar experiences.
19.06.2012 11:13 #53
Closed Account
Re not waiting for the bill: It's a form of pre-paying though - makes sense if things are financially difficult. In my opinion anyway.
1 thank
19.06.2012 11:53 #54
Its probably more dependant on your pay interval. If you get paid monthly, or weekly.
19.06.2012 15:18 #55
Verified representative
Originally posted by BostonB
I pay mine manually, with the result that once or twice, I've missed it and got one of these "reminder" phone call for payment. Except it wasn't a reminder, it was a aggressive demand for payment and tbh I was quite taken back by the attitude of rep on the end. They were very aggressive and I'm using to dealing with difficult people on the phone. I said simply forgotten about it, and would pay it later online, they insisted I pay it there and then by CC. Which I refused and ended the phone call. Considering I've been a customer for over a decade, I don't see why such aggressive calling is warranted. I think they rang 2 or three times the same day. I considered reporting the phone call, but was too busy to chase it up. Other people I know have had similar experiences.

Hi BostonB,

If you would like us to investigate this further for you, do drop me a private message with your details - Electric Ireland account number, your name and the address/date of birth/telephone number on the account.

Thanks and regards,
Una
19.06.2012 15:37 #56
I'm content to make you aware of it.
19.06.2012 20:06 #57
Originally posted by BostonB
I'm content to make you aware of it.

;)
19.06.2012 23:58 #58
I have also been at the receiving end of there very aggressive calls from Electric Ireland. I have answered the calls and explained my situation to the rep at the other end of the phone and it has obviously been received by either deaf or ignorant ears... Up until recently the bills have been paid in full and on time via CC on the website...

What I am not happy with is that even tho I have told them it will be paid when I can actually afford to or I will pay it off weekly as I'm in the post office every week like a huge amount of the population are I have been told that I have to pay it there and then over the phone.. Which I cant do for obvious reasons.. And they then proceed to hound me on the phone... I had 6 missed calls and 4 Voicemails in one day after I had spoken to them that morning which is totally unacceptable...

I have warned them that if it continues I will be changing service and contacting the relevant people and reporting them for harassment...

You can preach on about pre-paying as much as you want but until I see a bill of how much I owe, I will not be able to budget my money...

And before the representative asks I'm not comfortable giving out my account details via a PM service on a 3rd party website...

Also this is a common complaint from a lot of people and that the right people within the company have not done their jobs properly in regards to investigating this problem...
Last edited by braenard: 20.06.2012 at 00:16.
20.06.2012 09:25 #59
Verified representative
Hi Braenard,

I am sorry to read you are unhappy with your experience. If you would prefer not to send us your account details by private message, I would recommend contacting our Customer Service department (which is a different department to the one that has been calling you) on 1850 372 372, open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday. There is also the option to send the team an email.

Regards,
Una
Last edited by Electric Ireland: Una: 20.06.2012 at 13:21.
20.06.2012 17:38 #60
Thanks for the reply Una.

Yeah I'll get onto to that number and see if it can be sorted over the phone with them.. It's a problem that everyone has noticed and is obviously not happy with..

Again thanks a million..
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image