Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Three Representatives

7 hrs
Response Time
87%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday-Friday: 10am-4pm

1.09 Mbps??? That's great speed.

09.05.2012 10:19 #16
This was a speedtest using the speedtest app for android,using UPCs server,as it was the closest.The app also uses Eircom,Vodafone and other servers for the purpose of testing signal strength.
As for the "Well you could have made that up" what are you - 12?

But just for your information,my latest test was 83 ms ping,3.45 down,2.18 up using an Eircom server.
09.05.2012 11:24 #17
Originally posted by vandriver
This was a speedtest using the speedtest app for android,using UPCs server,as it was the closest.The app also uses Eircom,Vodafone and other servers for the purpose of testing signal strength.
As for the "Well you could have made that up" what are you - 12?

But just for your information,my latest test was 83 ms ping,3.45 down,2.18 up using an Eircom server.

The terminology EXTERNAL IP, would normally be used to indicate the Public IP address that you are using to connect to the internet and not the IP address of the server you are connecting to for the speedtest. The reason for saying External IP address and not YOUR IP address is because your IP address might be a Private address that can't be seen on the internet (non routeable). You quoted an internal Private IP address 10.x.x.x and an External IP address from range that UPC so if thats what the app says it didn't look much like a 3 connection.

I'm assuming the app also gives your location as Latitude and Longitude? If so I'd also assume the IP addresses are also associated with your location.

Using speedtest.net and posting the resultant png file is easy enough and doesn't lead to any confusion.

09.05.2012 12:30 #18
I copy and pasted the information that the app gave me.On my last bill,I used 8 gigs of data (no tethering).While you may have a genuine grievance with Three's data speeds,I don't as if I had really slow speeds like you seem to have,would I have got through that much data on my phone?
09.05.2012 12:33 #19
You sure your not connected to UPC, possibly over WiFi and not aware of it ?

http://en.utrace.de/ip-address/46.7.21.58
09.05.2012 13:03 #20
If you honestly expect up to 21Mbps, you are with the wrong device. Mobile broadband will never work that way. You cannot compare it to proper broadband (either cable/fixed line)
09.05.2012 13:38 #21
Originally posted by Vahevala
If you honestly expect up to 21Mbps, you are with the wrong device. Mobile broadband will never work that way. You cannot compare it to proper broadband (either cable/fixed line)

Agreed, with current technology that is a dream.

Going back to the point of the OP if 1Mbps is deemed a great speed it is a long way short of the modest expectations of the majority of users. There is a large chunk of the day when I do not even get anywhere close to a fraction of 1Mb but at times you can do a lot better - just not when you need it. It is a matter of contention and number of users; what is bugging people is that more and more users are being sold onto a network that is not working now in places and definitely not in the evening and weekends.
09.05.2012 14:03 #22

2012-05-09_13-29-31 by vandriver, on Flickr
Are yiz happy now?
Last edited by vandriver: 09.05.2012 at 14:27.
09.05.2012 16:27 #23
Originally posted by vandriver

2012-05-09_13-29-31 by vandriver, on Flickr
Are yiz happy now?

YES because External IP: 92.251.255.14 is an IP address that belongs to 3 :D its the external address of one of their NAT servers that you get connected to when you use the 3ireland.ie APN (or in somecases no valid APN).

btw it was the very fast upload speed that made me take a second look at your first post.
09.05.2012 21:33 #24
Originally posted by kippy
Isn't 1.09 "upto" 21 Mbps?

You should read the small print on those adds and familiarise yourself with the massive limitations of mobile broadband.

Yes but if you are an NBS customer should you not expect a certain speed as per 3's contract?
09.05.2012 21:35 #25
Originally posted by jonseyblub
Yes but if you are an NBS customer should you not expect a certain speed as per 3's contract?

Maybe but it would mean it would have to be an NBS contract and not a standard one.
Not sure if they could provide a fixed speed to anyone but never know.
Last edited by downwithpeace: 09.05.2012 at 21:37.
09.05.2012 23:25 #26
I was surprised to see this result in Waterford city last Saturday evening at around 9PM on my iPad3. In fairness this was about 1KM from the nearest 3 cell with almost a full signal.

10.05.2012 05:47 #27
Max is 14.4Mb/s

I've gotten 12Mb/s but only if im at less than 2KM from their cell tower which sadly at home im too far away for that.

8Mb/s is the max at home upload's can see 4Mb/s at night.
11.05.2012 14:14 #28
Can i ask what are acceptable speeds ? I am working in the city centre, just off grafton street and the speeds have been pretty pathetic recently. Especially around mid day/afternoon. Speeds of 0.4,0.6,0.48.0.47,0.07. Often the speedtest will just crap out.

I dont find these acceptable at all and find that internet data is unusable at these points of day. I have full bar reception and says I have 3G at these points.
11.05.2012 14:20 #29
Originally posted by patchforde
Can i ask what are acceptable speeds ? I am working in the city centre, just off grafton street and the speeds have been pretty pathetic recently. Especially around mid day/afternoon. Speeds of 0.4,0.6,0.48.0.47,0.07. Often the speedtest will just crap out.

I dont find these acceptable at all and find that internet data is unusable at these points of day. I have full bar reception and says I have 3G at these points.

At the moment I cant even do a speedtest to proove how bad it is. Using Iphone 4S on Dawson Street, nothing running in the background, rebooted etc. When will three recognise there is a problem ?? All these posts are not random folk moaning has to be their ****ty service.
11.05.2012 14:32 #30
Originally posted by patchforde
At the moment I cant even do a speedtest to proove how bad it is. Using Iphone 4S on Dawson Street, nothing running in the background, rebooted etc. When will three recognise there is a problem ?? All these posts are not random folk moaning has to be their ****ty service.

Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video