Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Currys & PC World Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

faulty samsung LCD tvs

14.03.2012 18:13 #1
Hi,

I have 2 Samsung LCD tvs bought from Currys Mahon Point. Both have recently had issues and Samsung arranged the 40" to have a replacement capacitor fitted free of charge despite it being out of warranty. At the same time the 32" was only 1.5 years old when a white line appeared across the screen. I paid over 400 euros for it. The same local repair company has stated that the screen needs replacement and it wouldnt be worth our while getting it fixed due to the cost. I have logged calls with Samsung on the issue. i have a credit card statement detailing the purchase from Currys Mahon Point. I believe this tv does not fit the durability requirements of the Sale of Goods Act and I am simply looking for a replacement tv that can be watched from Currys. Can you please let me know how I can arrange for a replacement?

thanks,

David
15.03.2012 00:10 #2
David, as someone who was in dispute with these clowns for over a year because of a dodgy fridge, please allow me to give you a quick piece of advice. If they do not sort you out quickly, and you are very entitled to it, check out your local small claims court. May take a bit of time to get them into court but you will not lose. It was the only thing that worked for me. Good luck...
15.03.2012 01:31 #3
Originally posted by captain sidesaddle
David, as someone who was in dispute with these clowns for over a year because of a dodgy fridge, please allow me to give you a quick piece of advice. If they do not sort you out quickly, and you are very entitled to it, check out your local small claims court. May take a bit of time to get them into court but you will not lose. It was the only thing that worked for me. Good luck...

cheers, hopefully it wont come to that but i have been the distance before in a small claims court in the U.S and I have been advised by a local tv company that I am within my rights. Dont think I would ever buy Samsung again though....
15.03.2012 08:49 #4
Originally posted by dsimmons
Hi,

I have 2 Samsung LCD tvs bought from Currys Mahon Point. Both have recently had issues and Samsung arranged the 40" to have a replacement capacitor fitted free of charge despite it being out of warranty. At the same time the 32" was only 1.5 years old when a white line appeared across the screen. I paid over 400 euros for it. The same local repair company has stated that the screen needs replacement and it wouldnt be worth our while getting it fixed due to the cost. I have logged calls with Samsung on the issue. i have a credit card statement detailing the purchase from Currys Mahon Point. I believe this tv does not fit the durability requirements of the Sale of Goods Act and I am simply looking for a replacement tv that can be watched from Currys. Can you please let me know how I can arrange for a replacement?

thanks,

David

We're going to have to assess this. It's not at all unreasonable to have the expectation that a TV is going to last you longer than 18 months. Equally, things can happen to a product in use ( power surge is the obvious one ) that renders a product faulty and has nothing to do with its manufacture. Can you please pm me the details of your original purchase and I'll take it from there.

You can of course also opt for the aggressive approach as outlined above but I wouldn't recommend that.
31.03.2012 14:19 #5
Originally posted by captain sidesaddle

I've also been through the mill with Currys in Letterkenny over a Samsung TV. The TV was sent back for repair 4 times within 3 months and they still wont provide a replacement TV. I've now gone to Small Claims.

My advice to anybody thinking of dealing with Currys - DON'T. Their Customer Service is brutal - local management seem to have very little discretion in dealing with genuine problems - instead you get referred to a Call Centre in the UK. There's a lot to be said for paying a few Euro more to a local retailer who will look after you when things go wrong!!!
02.04.2012 08:54 #6
Originally posted by IllPaPa
I've also been through the mill with Currys in Letterkenny over a Samsung TV. The TV was sent back for repair 4 times within 3 months and they still wont provide a replacement TV. I've now gone to Small Claims.

My advice to anybody thinking of dealing with Currys - DON'T. Their Customer Service is brutal - local management seem to have very little discretion in dealing with genuine problems - instead you get referred to a Call Centre in the UK. There's a lot to be said for paying a few Euro more to a local retailer who will look after you when things go wrong!!!

That seems odd. Can you please pm me your details and I'll have a look at the repair history and try to figure out what's going on.
07.04.2012 00:14 #7

Originally posted by Currys PC World: Declan
That seems odd. Can you please pm me your details and I'll have a look at the repair history and try to figure out what's going on.

Update on this...
07.04.2012 00:34 #8

Declan

This matter is with Small Claims and I don't propose to interfere with the legal process just so that Currys can pretend that they are interested in my problem. Currys has had 4 chances to sort me out so I'll take my chances with the Courts, thank you very much.

IllPaPa
1 thank
07.04.2012 02:04 #9
In practice it's very rare for us to settle any matter, " win" or "lose" , in the SCC. We have good practices in place to repair products and good assessment systems in place when products are out of warranty. And if something breaks out of warranty and the fault is attributable to a manufacturing fault we fix it, simple as that. Which isn't particularly common.

We do end up in SCC when customers are insistent on rights which they do not have or insist that a product fault is attributable to a manufacturing fault when we believe it's an in use fault. We leave it to the honourable judge to make his decision at that point. More often than not, if we're approached aggressively with the threat of the SCC by a customer we leave the process take its course. I don't think that anyone wins in that particular instance but that of course is the customer's right.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You end up in it when you pawn people off with 4 Repairs in 3 months aswell. IllPaPa must have slipped through your assessment systems...yawn

Second SCC case in as many weeks.

Don't worry IllPaPa, you'll win in Court, just a pity it'll take so long to resolve.
07.04.2012 08:32 #10
Originally posted by _AVALANCHE_
In practice it's very rare for us to settle any matter, " win" or "lose" , in the SCC. We have good practices in place to repair products and good assessment systems in place when products are out of warranty. And if something breaks out of warranty and the fault is attributable to a manufacturing fault we fix it, simple as that. Which isn't particularly common.

We do end up in SCC when customers are insistent on rights which they do not have or insist that a product fault is attributable to a manufacturing fault when we believe it's an in use fault. We leave it to the honourable judge to make his decision at that point. More often than not, if we're approached aggressively with the threat of the SCC by a customer we leave the process take its course. I don't think that anyone wins in that particular instance but that of course is the customer's right.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You end up in it when you pawn people off with 4 Repairs in 3 months aswell. IllPaPa must have slipped through your assessment systems...yawn

Second SCC case in as many weeks.

Don't worry IllPaPa, you'll win in Court, just a pity it'll take so long to resolve.

Cheers Avalanche

The SCC is a pain and nobody wants to go down that road. I'm sure that Currys have spent more money trying to repair the TV than it is worth. They have installed a new screen and 2 new circuit boards in my case. Then add the cost of transport to Craigavon 4 times. It all adds up.
The problem still persisted yet they insisted that I wouldn't get a new TV. I agree with Declan that we'll let the honourable judge decide.
Currys need to learn a thing or two about customer goodwill. They have lost a customer, have spent a small fortune on repairs and will probably end up having to pay for the tv. It just makes no business sense!!😡
I'll keep ye posted on how I get on in the SCC.
1 thank
10.04.2012 08:31 #11
Cheers Avalanche

The SCC is a pain and nobody wants to go down that road. I'm sure that Currys have spent more money trying to repair the TV than it is worth. They have installed a new screen and 2 new circuit boards in my case. Then add the cost of transport to Craigavon 4 times. It all adds up.
The problem still persisted yet they insisted that I wouldn't get a new TV. I agree with Declan that we'll let the honourable judge decide.
Currys need to learn a thing or two about customer goodwill. They have lost a customer, have spent a small fortune on repairs and will probably end up having to pay for the tv. It just makes no business sense!!😡
I'll keep ye posted on how I get on in the SCC.

You seem quite determined to go to the SCC rather than let me intervene in the issue. As you won't provide me with any detail there's not a lot I can do.
17.05.2012 22:48 #12
Update on SCC proceedings.

Currys didnt respond to the SCC Registrar within the statutory 14 day period. The SCC Registrar informed Currys that he would issue a decree in my favour. Currys eventually responded and offered a higher grade TV. I paid an additional €100 to buy a higher spec TV. Currys came to deliver the TV and guess what?? It wasnt a new TV!! The box looked like it had been thrown off the back of a lorry and it appeared that the TV was an ex demo. They were actually trying to pass it off as a new TV. I wouldnt accept it and it was brought back to the shop. The shop then gave me a refund of the amount that the SCC would have awarded along with my €100.

Outcome: One very disgruntled customer. I have wasted hours of my life trying to resolve this to no avail. Currys have tried to put every obstacle before me. If they had offered me the value of the TV at the very start, I would have accepted that and would probably shop with them again. As it stands now, I will never buy as much as a battery from Currys ever again.

If you are considering buying anything from Currys, ask yourself what will you do if anything goes wrong? Will you waste hours of your time dealing with a company with brutal customer serviceand doesnt give a damn about ? Take my advice and vote with your feet, buy from a local independent retailer who may at least value your custom and who will try and sort you out if things go wrong.
1 thank
18.05.2012 09:05 #13

Currys didnt respond to the SCC Registrar within the statutory 14 day period. The SCC Registrar informed Currys that he would issue a decree in my favour. Currys eventually responded and offered a higher grade TV. I paid an additional €100 to buy a higher spec TV. Currys came to deliver the TV and guess what?? It wasnt a new TV!! The box looked like it had been thrown off the back of a lorry and it appeared that the TV was an ex demo. They were actually trying to pass it off as a new TV. I wouldnt accept it and it was brought back to the shop. The shop then gave me a refund of the amount that the SCC would have awarded along with my €100.

Outcome: One very disgruntled customer. I have wasted hours of my life trying to resolve this to no avail. Currys have tried to put every obstacle before me. If they had offered me the value of the TV at the very start, I would have accepted that and would probably shop with them again. As it stands now, I will never buy as much as a battery from Currys ever again.

If you are considering buying anything from Currys, ask yourself what will you do if anything goes wrong? Will you waste hours of your time dealing with a company with brutal customer serviceand doesnt give a damn about ? Take my advice and vote with your feet, buy from a local independent retailer who may at least value your custom and who will try and sort you out if things go wrong.

Congrats. Declan has said before that his stores seldom end up in the courts, we know at least one of the reasons for this is they don't bother replying.

May I suggest you write to the SCC Clerk thanking him/her for their time, they will appreciate it.
18.05.2012 10:03 #14

Sorry for your problems,i understand the feelings .

I got myself a nice Pana plasma last year,spend big money on it.
But...if i will have any issues with the TV i will chase it with Panasonic which is the manufacturer not the shop that just moved the box from UK here !!
Of course,i will involve the local shop as well,but if not happy with their support i'll go after Panansonic not the local guy !!

Please correct me if i'm wrong !
18.05.2012 10:17 #15
Your contract is with the local retailer not the manufacturer. The manufacturer will just tell you it is out of warranty if it is over 12 months. I had all this hassle with Sharp but thats another story.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video