Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Vodafone Representatives

78 hrs
Response Time
62%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Vodafone Home Gateway | Telephony Features

10.03.2012 22:07 #1
Un-registered
Hi all,

I set-up a Vodafone at Home gateway (Huawei HG556a) for a friend today. After spending a while rooting out hidden phone-lines and missing filters, I got all up and running - with two handsets connected straight to the gateway itself.

As always, I logged into the management console to do a final check on settings. The home page displays Internet status, WiFi status and Telephony. The first two were working as expected but Telephony was highlighted red and accessing the settings didn't reveal any results.

What is the telephony function? As above, two handsets were running directly from the unit without issue so what features does enabling telephony add?

Cheers,

Condi ;)
12.03.2012 14:32 #2
Hi Condi,

I didn't know this one off the top of my head, so I sent it across to the fixed team.

They got back to me with the below:

"Telephony gives you ability to change country where you use the modem (need to change is due to different voltage on the lines)"

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Dwayne
12.03.2012 18:48 #3
That modem has an in-built ATA (Analogue Terminal Adapter) which allows you to run a SIP VoIP (Voice Over IP) system via the phone ports.

Vodafone, however, have disabled that feature in the firmware so the phone ports simply pass through the voice service from your landline and lock out the ability to configure the SIP feature which is why clicking "Telephony" doesn't give you any settings.
13.03.2012 00:23 #4
Un-registered
Originally posted by Vodafone: Dwayne
Hi Condi,

I didn't know this one off the top of my head, so I sent it across to the fixed team.

"Telephony gives you ability to change country where you use the modem (need to change is due to different voltage on the lines)"

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Dwayne

Originally posted by Kensington
That modem has an in-built ATA (Analogue Terminal Adapter) which allows you to run a SIP VoIP (Voice Over IP) system via the phone ports.

Vodafone, however, have disabled that feature in the firmware so the phone ports simply pass through the voice service from your landline and lock out the ability to configure the SIP feature which is why clicking "Telephony" doesn't give you any settings.

Thanks folks,

Dwayne, I'll have to go with Kensington's explanation here I'm afraid. Telephony is too prominent a feature of the modem for it too simply be a voltage regulator.

Has anyone had any luck flashing this modem with non-operator firmware? It's an excellent piece of kit but it is far too locked down with the current firmware as implemented by Vodafone
13.03.2012 00:23 #5
Un-registered
Originally posted by Vodafone: Dwayne
Hi Condi,

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Dwayne

Originally posted by Kensington

Thanks folks,

Dwayne, I'll have to go with Kensington's explanation here I'm afraid. Telephony is too prominent a feature of the modem for it too simply be a voltage regulator.

Has anyone had any luck flashing this modem with non-operator firmware? It's an excellent piece of kit but it is far too locked down with the current firmware as implemented by Vodafone
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video