Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Electric Ireland Representatives

2 hrs
Response Time
95%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 6pm

Monster ESB bill

29.02.2012 16:09 #1
We received an ESB bill today for €480. Our previous bills have been no higher than €150 since we moved in in September. The only change on the house is that we've had a new TV (which uses considerably less power than the previous TV which hasn't been on in months). Generally we are obsessive about turning off anything we don't use, and we have gas heating. Overall, our power consumption has actually gone down since November.

A few weeks ago our main fuse blew due to some wiring issues with the shower, and we had to have an ESB engineer in to sort it out (the second time this has happened since we moved in). We've also had two separate men call in to read the meter over the last billing period.

How do we go about contesting this clearly ridiculous bill?
29.02.2012 16:19 #2
Verified representative
Hi kfish2oo2,

Can you send me by private message the following details:

- The Electric Ireland account number
- Your full name
- The address/telephone number/date of birth on the account
- Confirmation that you are the named account-holder

We will then investigate this for you and keep you updated by private message.

Regards,
Una
18.03.2012 11:59 #3
Hi
Got a bill for over €500.00 in August 2011, got on to ESB and was told that the bill was correct. Paid it and did all of the things that I was advised by the ESB to do. Got my next bill over €700.00 phoned again and asked if the ESB would send someone out. Was told no. Finally managed to pay the bill. Got the next bill now over €1800.00. Hubby met someone who worked for ESB in the past. He came to check things for us and contacted the ESB. Finally someone came out and a second meter was installed. Our meter was running "fOUR" times faster than the temporary meter. Contacted ESB and asked if they would get the problem sorted. Guy arrived last week and changed the meter.
He said that this normally only happens when the meter has been tampered with and some gadget, can't remember what my husband said it was, was attached to the meter, adding insult to injury. We have been with the ESB for about 35 years all told. I am appalled at the conduct of the ESB delay the difficulty in getting someone to come out and now the added insult of the allegation. But I still haven't been told what they intend doing about the problem. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm so angry and I'm very upset by all of this.
2 thanks
20.03.2012 10:26 #4
Hi Kingslea,

I'm very sorry to hear of this. It is very rare for electricity meters to malfunction in this manner, but this is certainly not to impute anything negative of yourself or your husband. I can lodge a complaint on your behalf if you feel any such allegations were made.

Originally posted by Kingslea
But I still haven't been told what they intend doing about the problem.


Once it has been established exactly much you have overpaid, your account and past payments should be re-assessed and in this case, refunded. This can take a number of weeks.

In the meantime, if you would like me to have a look at the account for you, please PM me your account information. (Note however that due due to date protection, I can only discuss the account with the registered account holder).

Thanks,

David.
24.03.2012 09:27 #5
Originally posted by Electric Ireland: David
Hi Kingslea,

I'm very sorry to hear of this. It is very rare for electricity meters to malfunction in this manner, but this is certainly not to impute anything negative of yourself or your husband. I can lodge a complaint on your behalf if you feel any such allegations were made.



Once it has been established exactly much you have overpaid, your account and past payments should be re-assessed and in this case, refunded. This can take a number of weeks.

In the meantime, if you would like me to have a look at the account for you, please PM me your account information. (Note however that due due to date protection, I can only discuss the account with the registered account holder).

Thanks,

David.



Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. My husband has phoned this guy who says that the meter is ok. I'm really glad to hear this news. It is not nice to have been accused in this manner. I will contact you in a pm to let you know if my husband wants to make a complaint.
Thank you for your interest in this matter.
1 thank
26.03.2012 09:50 #6
Verified representative
Hi Kingslea,

David is out sick today, so if you drop me and Electric Ireland: Orla a private message whenever it suits. :)

Regards,
Una
01.04.2012 11:48 #7
Dear Una,

Our meter has been replaced. We are waiting to hear from Electric Ireland on what they intend doing about the matter. If needs be I understand there is an ombidsman who can deal with the matter. If needs be I may contact you. Thank you for your reply.

Kingslea
1 thank
16.04.2012 14:41 #8
Registered User
Hello, I received a bill this morning of €420.51! my previous bill was €28.94. I am living in a very small 2 bed apartment, we have storage heating but it's very rarely used as we have an open fire. This can't be right! any help would be appreciated as there is no way I can afford this amount. Thanks, Roisin
16.04.2012 14:59 #9
Hi rosietobes,

Was the bill based on an estimated reading? This would be shown at the top of the bill (see here for a sample). It is also possible that your previous bill(s) were underestimated.

If you would like me to have a look at your account, please feel free to PM me your details.

For customers who are hit with large bills after a series of consecutive estimates, we understand it may be difficult to pay all at once. Please contact us to arrange a payment plan if this is the case. You may also find this section of our website useful, which provides you with advice/interative tools to help reduce your bills.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David.
17.04.2012 16:46 #10
Registered User
I got a bill for €855!!!!

All the bills for the past year have been estimated and then I get a reading and am landed with this. It is from BG but I am switching back.

I assume I have been charged the full tariff as of the day of the reading if the previous tariffs were different will I get a rebate if I switch?
17.04.2012 16:50 #11
It is from BG but I am switching back.


Coming shortly to a water utility near YOU :D In fairness its the ESB networks lads who do the readings but I presume BG noted on your bills that they were estimated ???
17.04.2012 16:53 #12
Verified representative
Hi Morana,

Your current provider would be the best people with whom to check this.

When you make the switch to Electric Ireland, you will just be billed from the date the switch is completed.

Regards,
Una
27.04.2012 16:59 #13
Originally posted by Kingslea
Hi
Finally someone came out and a second meter was installed. Our meter was running "fOUR" times faster than the temporary meter. Contacted ESB and asked if they would get the problem sorted. Guy arrived last week and changed the meter.
.


Interesting read that,my mum has just rang me to tell me she rang the esb this morning to call in a meter reading,she lives in a 4 bed semi-d,3 people in the house.electric shower,dishwasher,dryer and electric cooker.Heating is gas so immersion never used.The esb told her the last 9 bi-monthly bills were estimated and that going on her reading she owed them...wait for it....€3600!!!
Now she has paid her estimated bi-monthly bills on time every time,the latest one coming in at around the €230 mark,a figure which i believe to be fairly average for the amount of people and size of house.Using this latest figure as an average bill that means shes paid €2070 in the last 18 months(the duration of the 9 estimated bills).So how in gods name do the esb reckon she owes them over 3 and a half grand?Theres not a hope in hell 3 people in a semi-d have run up 3600+2070= €5670 worth of an esb bill in 18 months.They have been no help what so ever and even suggesting that this is a normal amount.Where does she go from here?
27.04.2012 17:08 #14
Hi dbagman,

Although consumption varies considerably from household to household, the average national usage is 14 units per day. The above figures you quoted indicate usage well above this average.

The first step your mother would need to take is to check the meter, as follows:
  • Turn off all the power at the main trip switch (located on the fuse board)
  • Wait 10-15 mins (max)
  • Inspect the meter
  • The rotating disk (or flashing dial, if it's digital) should have come to a complete standstill
If it is still moving, you would need to contact an electrician to investigate this further. We would dispatch a technician to the premises if it has been confirmed that the source of the problem is the ESB Networks meter. In most cases the problem is faulty internal wiring.

If the meter does come to a standstill this indicate the meter is ok; in this case she would need to plug everything out before turning on the power again. Once the power is on, plugging in appliances one after the other (although tedious) is a good way to hunt down power hungry appliances.

Either way I would recommend contacting an electrician to look into this.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.
Last edited by Electric Ireland: David: 27.04.2012 at 17:12.
27.04.2012 19:05 #15
Originally posted by Electric Ireland: David
Hi dbagman,

Although consumption varies considerably from household to household, the average national usage is 14 units per day. The above figures you quoted indicate usage well above this average.

The first step your mother would need to take is to check the meter, as follows:
  • Turn off all the power at the main trip switch (located on the fuse board)
  • Wait 10-15 mins (max)
  • Inspect the meter
  • The rotating disk (or flashing dial, if it's digital) should have come to a complete standstill
If it is still moving, you would need to contact an electrician to investigate this further. We would dispatch a technician to the premises if it has been confirmed that the source of the problem is the ESB Networks meter. In most cases the problem is faulty internal wiring.

If the meter does come to a standstill this indicate the meter is ok; in this case she would need to plug everything out before turning on the power again. Once the power is on, plugging in appliances one after the other (although tedious) is a good way to hunt down power hungry appliances.

Either way I would recommend contacting an electrician to look into this.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.


Yeah they told her to turn off the power but leave it for 3 hours,as the house will be vacant all day tomorrow iv said ill do that for her and check it myself.I am an electrician and installed a new MCB fuse board myself a couple of years back so i know the board isnt the problem.In fairness given that 2 of the 3 people in the house work so theres usually only 1,if that,at home during the day there is noway they could possibly have run up this bill.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video
Remove Formatting
View source
Please Log In or Sign Up to join the discussion