Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Currys & PC World Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Currys Price Promise FAIL!!!

27.02.2012 18:17 #16
Originally posted by Stab*City
Hi all,

Just thought id share an experience i had over the weekend with CURRYS.

At the weekend i went shopping for a new Tv. A friend had told me about a weekend sale on in soundstore so i decided to check it out. I was very happy to see that soundstore were doing an amazing offer on a 50" Panasonic 3D Smart plasma, two free pairs of 3D glasses and a 5yr warranty all for €680!!

After deciding to go for this offer i was told that they only had the display model but the could have a boxed one instore for me on tuesday and that they would still give me the weekend offer on tuesday. Or they said i could have one sent up for their stores in Cork (i made a mental note that seeing as though i wanted the tv asap i might even drive to Cork but it would have to be the next day as it was 17:15).

So bearing that in mind i went for a look in Currys. Low and behold i saw the same Panasonic Tv for €899 which was out of my price range. So i asked about a slightly cheaper LG and mentioned the price difference on the Panasonic.

"Is that right he said, well if you can bring me a written quote to that effect ill match SoundStores offer and give you an extra €20 on top of that!" Great i thought.

Its now 5:30ish and im driving over to Soundstore to get the written quote. The guy did not want to give me the written quote but after i pointed out the sign on the wall requesting customers to get quotes so soundstore could match explaining it was bad business practise to be so hypocritical he gave in and gave me the quote. Nice guy too.

Off back to Currys at 17:45 to get my offer that the man had so kindly made me aware of even though i didnt ask. Gave him the written quote and he looked at me like i had two heads. I think he thought i was lying about soundstores fantastic offer. He said let me go speak with a manager. I heard the lady say ring soundstore and make sure its true and make sure they have the Tv in stock.

"One minute Sir i just need to ring to confirm that this is true." Ok i said so off he went. I waited. He spoke to soundstore and confirmed everything i clamied about the offer. They told him the Tv was available for delivery on Tuesday.

So when he finished the call he told me that it was not a valid claim as the Tv was not in stock. I was furious as they even had one on display. Anyway i asked him to ask his manager for the terms & conditions and he said the manager is not here i said who is the lady giving you the directions and he said she was not the manager. It gets better. He printed out the T&C's for me and no where did it say on it that the Tv had to be in stock. It said that the shop had to have the Tv in its network of distribution. Also the lady told me that a 10 Mile radius applies when i told them they it was in stock in Cork. When reading the T&C's back to them it said that the '10 mile rule' was not to be used as the price offer match was all about pleasing the customer and if it was used the agent would need a very good reason.

So now its 18:00 shops are closed and im not going home with a Tv any Tv even. So once i had quoted the T&C's to them they finally said i would have to come back the next day and speak to the real manager as no one in the store at that moment had the authourity to grant a price promise offer!! So i said youve wasted my time and petrol by sending me round to gather documentation on a offer you suggested that you cant even fulfil!!! I stormed out.

Next day

I arrived at the CURRYS store and asked to speak to the manager. Again he started rattling on about "not being in stock" when i again produced the T&C's and proved him wrong. Not one of the CURRYS employee's knew the correct T&C's. So then when i had my case proven without doubt the MANAGER asked me to call back on the MONDAY as he did not have authourity to grant the price promise either. By now i was furious. Family in tow the whole time getting sent on wild goose chases. I told him i wouldn't even consider now buying anything from their company ever again. Im off to Cork i said to buy the Tv from a decent retailer.

MORAL of the story: CURRYS BROKE THEIR PRICE PROMISE TO ME! I will never shop there again or PCWORLD, DIXONS as they are all the same company and all lack the fundamental rule of retail. The customer is always right! Especially when he is RIGHT!

I got the Tv in Cork and what a deal. What a Tv. And soundstore were extremely helpful even after i snubbed them for Currys the first time round.

And to make things worse my Mother only a few weeks ago purchased a 47" Samsung and a FTA package from the same CURRYS store!! If only i knew what i know now she would have shopped elsewhere.

/Rant

It's obviously a great pity to disillusion a customer and lose them forever and a day but the store correctly applied price promise in this instance. It is not at all unknown in this business for great screaming ads to be aired with such and such a deal and, when the customer arrives at the store, the item is "unfortunately " out of stock but here's a really great replacement. That's a practice we don't go for and I abhor.

So the rules on price promise are that it's a like for like product, available within 30 miles ( used to be 10 but we expanded that ) of the store you're shopping in and it must be available and in stock to take away at that time. And that means there and then, not in a couple of days. There are other exclusions also, we don't match online only prices or clearance lines or limited stock offers. That's common sense stuff really. But, once it's a like for like product then any difference in matched and 10 % of that difference is applied in addition. But it has to be in stock and it wasn't in this instance.
27.02.2012 19:30 #17
Seems to be a thing with pcworld and not keeping stock of tv's. Had same problem before xmas, was told they dont keep them in stock and would take a few days. It was quiet but had problems trying to find someone. Everyone seemed to be in and out of the little room beside pc repairs and disappearing. When I asked about tv was told not in stock would take a few days and they walked away. Thats not the first time I've had problems there. Shop assistants dont seem to know what they are selling. Terrible non pcworld spec internet printouts on a4 sheets of paper beside items. I now stay away from pcworld.
Went to Harvey Norman. Guys asked me about budget and what brands and went through database and found what I wanted and got it out of stock. Thats service.
28.02.2012 00:07 #18
Originally posted by spookwoman
Seems to be a thing with pcworld and not keeping stock of tv's. Had same problem before xmas, was told they dont keep them in stock and would take a few days. It was quiet but had problems trying to find someone. Everyone seemed to be in and out of the little room beside pc repairs and disappearing. When I asked about tv was told not in stock would take a few days and they walked away. Thats not the first time I've had problems there. Shop assistants dont seem to know what they are selling. Terrible non pcworld spec internet printouts on a4 sheets of paper beside items. I now stay away from pcworld.
Went to Harvey Norman. Guys asked me about budget and what brands and went through database and found what I wanted and got it out of stock. Thats service.

Ehhhh, this thread has nothing to do with pc world being out of stock of tv's, its about price promise. The reason they have sheets beside their pcs is so customers can view the spec when they're just browsing. Do you expect staff to know the spec of 100's of products? Harvey Norman btw also have the specs beside their stuff
28.02.2012 01:24 #19
Originally posted by spookwoman

Well that has nothing whatsoever to do with the original post!

On the price promise, to be fair they didn't do anything wrong. Soundstore didn't have a new TV ready for delivery that day. It's harsh but the line has to be drawn somewhere. In fairness every store will have a display item of the majority of products they sell so not including display products is reasonable.
28.02.2012 09:11 #20
Originally posted by boreder
http://www.currys.ie/c...re-Price-Promise/926

If you just stop and think about it rationally, instead of flying off the handle, you would understand why it needs to be in stock for them to honour the price promise.

Power City / Sound Store could have a field day advertising TV sets or laptops way below cost price just to inconvenience Currys/PC World and cost them money.

They're obviously not going to match display models, as they're second hand essentially, and should be sold at a discount i the first place.

Like i told the guys in CURRYS read the terms and conditions. Thats not the terms and conditions you linked to. Its a snippet on a website. The T&C's say and i quote:

"The competitor must have stock of the product within its organisation (either in branch stock or at a distribution warehouse) and be available for immediate collection or for booking a delivery date"

So before you fly off the handle and start quoting website blabber maybe you should read the T&C's like i did.

If powercity and soundstore started advertising fake offers then it would only cost them money.

The display model never entered the deal.
1 thank
28.02.2012 09:20 #21
Stab, if you have the T&Cs it might be worth scanning them and posting them up here so we can have a look. If what you're saying is correct and that is the condition then currys have really messed up.

But without being able to see the T&Cs you have it's your word against theirs.

Where did you get the T&Cs by the way? Did you get them in store or print them off?
28.02.2012 10:08 #22
Originally posted by Currys & PC World: Declan
It's obviously a great pity to disillusion a customer and lose them forever and a day but the store correctly applied price promise in this instance. It is not at all unknown in this business for great screaming ads to be aired with such and such a deal and, when the customer arrives at the store, the item is "unfortunately " out of stock but here's a really great replacement. That's a practice we don't go for and I abhor.

So the rules on price promise are that it's a like for like product, available within 30 miles ( used to be 10 but we expanded that ) of the store you're shopping in and it must be available and in stock to take away at that time. And that means there and then, not in a couple of days. There are other exclusions also, we don't match online only prices or clearance lines or limited stock offers. That's common sense stuff really. But, once it's a like for like product then any difference in matched and 10 % of that difference is applied in addition. But it has to be in stock and it wasn't in this instance.

Really disappointing that you dont know your own company t&c's either. So to enlighten you i have scanned a copy in and here are the links:

http://imgur.com/a/yZmpy

Take note of the part which says:

'have stock ready for delivery'

And also just to be clear i rang and the same tv in currys in cork was the same price €220 more than soundstore and they did have the tv 'in stock' at soundstore cork so if i wanted to i could have claimed the price match from currys in cork too.

And now for the people who might doubt the sounstore deal existed or doubt that i actually got the tv for that price here is my receipt.

http://i.imgur.com/fZD9h.jpg

And as for a like for like product. It was far from that remember that soundstore also gave me 2 pairs of active glasses and a 5yr warranty. Currys wanted €899 for just the Tv with a 12 month warranty. And after all is said and done im glad i got it in soundstore much better deal and service.

A list of things i have bought in CURRYS/PCWORLD:

47" Samsung LCD
32" Tv
Desktop Computer
Kodak Camera
3 Laptops
Ipod
FTA kit
numerous cables
dryer
washing machine
cooker
media player
and god only knows what else i cant remember...
Last edited by Stab*City: 28.02.2012 at 11:04.
4 thanks
28.02.2012 10:45 #23
That looks like the price promise for the UK.

The Irish version is here:

28.02.2012 10:49 #24
Originally posted by GiftGrub100
That looks like the price promise for the UK.

The Irish version is here:

And they both say the same thing. :rolleyes:

These were printed by CURRYS internal system and handed to me instore.
28.02.2012 10:52 #25
Maybe they have all agreed that when an item is on "special offer" that it is not available out of stock so the price promise is void
28.02.2012 11:01 #26
Originally posted by clintondaly
Maybe they have all agreed that when an item is on "special offer" that it is not available out of stock so the price promise is void

:rolleyes:
28.02.2012 11:03 #27
Count yourself lucky I reckon, you got a better deal in Soundstore, obviously.
1 thank
28.02.2012 11:10 #28

But you dont abhor the practise of advertising a price promise and not delivering that promise? Screaming that you can match any price and being so confident about it that you offer an extra 10%? Pot, Kettle!

Did you just make up those rules like the other CURRYS employee did? It clearly states on your T&C's that:

"The competitor must have stock of the product within its organisation (either in branch stock or at a distribution warehouse) and be available for immediate collection or for booking a delivery date"

That is a direct quote from the T&C's supplied from your internal system and distributed by your employees but yet you still disagree?
1 thank
28.02.2012 11:11 #29
Originally posted by moolers2000
Count yourself lucky I reckon, you got a better deal in Soundstore, obviously.

I do count myself lucky. And im glad i bought it there but does that mean i shouldnt let people know about my experience?
28.02.2012 11:27 #30
Originally posted by Stab*City
I do count myself lucky. And im glad i bought it there but does that mean i shouldnt let people know about my experience?

No, and I'm glad you brought it up but even if they did match it, I wouldn't have bought off them.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video