Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Three Representatives

8 hrs
Response Time
96%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday-Friday: 10am-4pm

three like home Australia?

20.02.2012 16:00 #1
asking this question for a friend,

hi is the three like home service still available for Irish customers roaming in Australia?

thanks
20.02.2012 17:26 #2
Category Moderator
Only for billpay customers yes.

http://apps.three.ie/a.../three-like-home.php
20.02.2012 23:00 #3
Use the search facility on the word Australia.....There have been lots of complaints about the lack of service out there..
21.02.2012 11:27 #4
Banned
I thought the 3 network in Australia was shut down by now.
21.02.2012 11:35 #5
I've just checked this out for you and can confirm that TLH works in Australia on the Vodafone network (with whom Three merged.)
21.02.2012 21:54 #6
I'm currently swapping PMs with Patrick & Fiona on this and have been doing so since mid-Dec. I wasn't able to use 3LH in Australia over 5 weeks there in Dec/Jan. Phone couldn't join the Vodafone network at any point. Vodafone told me that the 3 network was shut down, knew nothing about 3LH and couldn't help me (although they were at least very nice about it). 3 'customer service' were unable to help me in Oz and told me to get in touch with Ireland. Ireland couldn't help me. Had to get a sim and mobile broadband from Optus instead.

I've asked for a coverage map in Oz for months. I've yet to receive one and the issue has been dodged continually. I'm still waiting on a numer of promised calls from the executive office. Get plenty of sales calls though despite asking for them to be stopped.

So maybe things have changed but I wouldn't rely on it and it runs counter to my experiences there and anything I've been told since. I've asked 3 to update their website to definitively say where service is/isn't provided so at least others aren't caught out.

For the record, I couldn't use 3LH at all there - areas included Sydney, Melbourne, Blue Mountains, etc, etc and am still awaiting any kind of resolution. From PMs and other comments before, my experience was pretty common which would make 3's stance on this pretty disingenuous unless things have changed in the last few weeks.

Enjoy your trip BTW
22.02.2012 00:16 #7
Originally posted by whiterebel
Use the search facility on the word Australia.....There have been lots of complaints about the lack of service out there..

i did use the search feature, and thats what prompted my question ;)
22.02.2012 00:18 #8
Originally posted by Three: Patrick
I've just checked this out for you and can confirm that TLH works in Australia on the Vodafone network (with whom Three merged.)

Hi Patrick

can you please explain how this works while roaming in OZ?

ie can you call home to Ireland mob / landline and have it come out of the minutes, and also use your monthly data allocation? with no roaming charge?

thanks
24.02.2012 01:08 #9
Three deliberately ignoring this thread? Come on patrick and fiona. Straight answer would be nice
24.02.2012 08:16 #10
Banned
Most 3g phones will simply not work on Vodafone Oz, excepting high end ones like the iPhone3 and the Galaxy S2

Vodafone use unusual 3g frequencies in Oz, 850mhz and 900mhz, and most 3g phones will not work on those frequencies as they only support 2100 mhz or 2100mhz and 1800mhz.

Even then the 850mhz/900mhz feature is normally turned off on EU phones even if they do support it. If you are going to Australia you may need an unlock to activate the frequencies in some cases. Good luck finding a script for that one. :(
24.02.2012 08:30 #11
Vodafone Australia also has a 2G network on the same frequencies used in Europe:

http://maps.mobileworl...rg_id=246&cid=63
26.02.2012 06:38 #12
Hi Folks,
Arrived out to Sydney last Tuesday. The g/f and I both using iph4s on contract with 3. Initially I had no service on Voda/Telstra was only able to roam on Optus! However the g/f got 5 bars three 3G with auto selected on her carrier settings! It had automatically selected 3Telstra and not Vodafone, by the way! When I went to select it, I kept getting No Service. So I rang customer care to see what the story was and if I was set up for 3likehome, which I had availed plenty of times in the UK last year! Agent told me I was only set up for partial roaming and needed to change to full profile which they changed and within a couple of hours I was up and running and roaming on 3likehome!
Reception has been great as it is using Telstra signal and not Voda which is awful! Friends here have Iph4 on Voda and 3G reception and speed is terrible! We have done plenty of sightseeing around the city I haven't noticed a drop in signal anywhere!
To finish my long winded tale (apologies), 3likehome is working unbelievably well for us, great service and great for staying in touch with pals and family! Also yhe facility of the personal hotspot is extremely handy, one less expense getting set up here!

Bravo Three
1 thank
16.08.2012 22:46 #13
so - any tips to prepare for travel to australia with bill pay phone so I will be up and running once I get there?
20.08.2012 13:11 #14
Originally posted by gingernut79
so - any tips to prepare for travel to australia with bill pay phone so I will be up and running once I get there?

Can you click the link in my signature to send Fiona a PM with your details and she can check that your account is enabled for you?
27.09.2012 12:37 #15
Hi Sheena,

Following on from your last message i'd like some clarification.

I moved to Three in April and signed up for a 2 years Classic flex account on the basis of the Three Like Home Network being available in Britain & Australia. After working 6 months in London TLH has been brilliant. I am now looking to move to Australia yet Australia has been removed from the countries list where TLH is available http://apps.three.ie/r...play/three-like-home

What options do i now have as i am moving in November and now have a plan which still has 18 months on it and is basically useless to me in Australia.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video