Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Currys & PC World Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Customer Service and extremely rude Manager

18.02.2012 18:39 #1
Hi

I was in your Carrickmines store today with a faulty laptop. The tech guy said after 2min of looking at it that I should get a replacement. The lap top if four months old and has been restored to factory setting sfour times now and still does not work.He called the manager, who was rude from the outset and was unwilling to offer any option but repair. And said it was his only option.

Because of his rudeness I asked did he have an area manager, to which he replied no. And walked off as he said we were just going around in circles. I then asked the tech guy for a number I could call, he gave me a UK number where the chap was very nice and helpful. He also informed me that the manager could give me a new lap top and a that there was a area manager.

When I reapproached the manager he continued to be rude and very unwillingly gave me a name but wasn't sure if it was his area manager?? Stange that. He refused to admit that he lied also.

I am completely incensed at being treated in this manner and would appreciate a reply. I would also appreciate a replacement of the laptop as it blatantly sub standard

Kind regards

Tara
18.02.2012 20:32 #2
Originally posted by tham13
Hi

I was in your Carrickmines store today with a faulty laptop. The tech guy said after 2min of looking at it that I should get a replacement. The lap top if four months old and has been restored to factory setting sfour times now and still does not work.He called the manager, who was rude from the outset and was unwilling to offer any option but repair. And said it was his only option.

Because of his rudeness I asked did he have an area manager, to which he replied no. And walked off as he said we were just going around in circles. I then asked the tech guy for a number I could call, he gave me a UK number where the chap was very nice and helpful. He also informed me that the manager could give me a new lap top and a that there was a area manager.

When I reapproached the manager he continued to be rude and very unwillingly gave me a name but wasn't sure if it was his area manager?? Stange that. He refused to admit that he lied also.

I am completely incensed at being treated in this manner and would appreciate a reply. I would also appreciate a replacement of the laptop as it blatantly sub standard

Kind regards

Tara

I'll follow up with the store on Monday. I'd like to hear the manager's perspective on what the problem with the laptop was and why one of our colleagues would come to a position on a replacement and why his own position would differ. Our normal default option is to repair any fault that we encounter. Consistent failed repairs is another matter but I don't get the impression from your post that yout laptop has been through a number of repairs. I need a few more details and I'll get them Monday.
19.02.2012 16:45 #3
Hi Declan

Thank you for your response.

The laptop had never worked properly. For instance Internet Explorer always crashed and the insert button never worked. Due to family circumstances I was not in a position to bring it back within 21 days.

The full factory reset was peformed multiple times. I even went as far as to perfom it via discs and wasted good money buying over 50 disks. After googling my brand and model it appears to be a reoccurring problem with laptops being repeatedly repaired to no avail.

It was the Managers attitude from the start that had me so annoyed. Customer service is obviously his forte. The tech guy I spoke to in England stated that it is the managers discretion as to whether you are entitled to a replacement. The manager had made his mind up before he even approached me and I think walking off on customers is ever so slightly unacceptable. As is lying, and a blatantly belligerent attitude.

I feel that if the laptop is sent away, I have no guarantee that I will be 100% when i get it back. And surely if an item is faulty I am entitled to a replacement. I am self employed and this is my only PC so how am I meant to work for the next three weeks!!

I am quite sure that the manager will have a completely different story to mine so I am probably banging my head against a brick wall. But do ask him why he lied about having an area manager an Irish Office or MD.

I look forward to hearing from you

Tara
19.02.2012 20:21 #4
Hi Declan

Thank you for your response.

The laptop had never worked properly. For instance Internet Explorer always crashed and the insert button never worked. Due to family circumstances I was not in a position to bring it back within 21 days.

The full factory reset was peformed multiple times. I even went as far as to perfom it via discs and wasted good money buying over 50 disks. After googling my brand and model it appears to be a reoccurring problem with laptops being repeatedly repaired to no avail.

It was the Managers attitude from the start that had me so annoyed. Customer service is obviously his forte. The tech guy I spoke to in England stated that it is the managers discretion as to whether you are entitled to a replacement. The manager had made his mind up before he even approached me and I think walking off on customers is ever so slightly unacceptable. As is lying, and a blatantly belligerent attitude.

I feel that if the laptop is sent away, I have no guarantee that I will be 100% when i get it back. And surely if an item is faulty I am entitled to a replacement. I am self employed and this is my only PC so how am I meant to work for the next three weeks!!

I am quite sure that the manager will have a completely different story to mine so I am probably banging my head against a brick wall. But do ask him why he lied about having an area manager an Irish Office or MD.

I look forward to hearing from you

Tara

Hi Tara, as I said earlier i will do a full investigation in the morning. Laptop faults are tricky. In many cases the fault is not hardware but what has been installed and how it has been used. But I'm not underestimating the hardware issues either, they happen. Our normal procedure is to replace products which develop a fault within 21 days as that seems to cover the vast majority of the issues where a hardware fault has occurred. After that we go into the repair process.

When you consider that we repair 30,000 laptops per year I'm sure you can understand that we just can't replace those that stop working. We'd end up a second hand sales shop, plus we 'd have a lot of product that failed due to use and not fault.

I will be talking to the store in the morning. I would like to know why a situation has escalated beyond an acceptable degree
19.02.2012 20:21 #5
I will be following your story very closely as it reminds me of my own .I KNOW I was sold a faulty machine .Broke 3 times in 5 months .They will give you a pile of guff in the store and insist it is sent for repair. The first time it broke like a fool I let some <SNIP> in the techguy desk convince me it was my own fault and told me to buy a fan .He was cute enough not to take my details and record my visit . The problem was gone when I brought it in .Second time they could see it and "repaired" it .Its now gone away again for the same problem reoccuring .I know I am entitled to a refund but they will not give it to me .The next time this goes I am bringing a reporter from the local radio station with me and will shame the b*****DS into doing something .
Last edited by dudara: 20.02.2012 at 16:44. Reason: Foul language removed
20.02.2012 15:21 #6
I am investigating this today as promised. A quick question. Has the laptop been through a repair process with us before and, if so, could you please pm me the reference numbers for this ?
20.02.2012 15:34 #7
Hi Declan

The lapop has not been through a repair before.

I fully understand your repair process, but it is really the managers attitude. The guy in England on the phone was really helpful and nice.

Look forward to hearing from you
20.02.2012 15:50 #8
Hi Declan

I fully understand your repair process, but it is really the managers attitude. The guy in England on the phone was really helpful and nice.

Thanks. Likely to be tomorrow before I complete and post.
20.02.2012 18:45 #9
Originally posted by tanoone
I know I am entitled to a refund but they will not give it to me .The next time this goes I am bringing a reporter from the local radio station with me and will shame the b*****DS into doing something .

Yea! Bring Joe Duffy too, that will scare them.:rolleyes:
20.02.2012 20:09 #10
I will be following your story very closely as it reminds me of my own .I KNOW I was sold a faulty machine .Broke 3 times in 5 months .They will give you a pile of guff in the store and insist it is sent for repair. The first time it broke like a fool I let some <SNIP> in the techguy desk convince me it was my own fault and told me to buy a fan .He was cute enough not to take my details and record my visit . The problem was gone when I brought it in .Second time they could see it and "repaired" it .Its now gone away again for the same problem reoccuring .I know I am entitled to a refund but they will not give it to me .The next time this goes I am bringing a reporter from the local radio station with me and will shame the b*****DS into doing something .

As far as I recall you had your own thread but failed to follow up with a pm to Declan and later on you asked for the thread to be closed! Do you honestly think a reporter is going to come in and stand beside you while you are arguing at the counter?
I dont think it is appropriate to resurrect an old issue like this when you didnt follow the advice in your own thread but I am sure it is up to the OP or the moderator to decide that.
21.02.2012 09:06 #11
Hi Declan

I've had a word with the manager concerned. He certainly didn't intend to be rude in any way and would regret leaving you with that impression.

As far as he was concerned he listened to your view that an exchange of the product was the only solution to your problem which was acceptable to you, informed you that this would not be possible ( as would be the case for any customer in a similar situation ) and the situation became inflamed from there. That does happen in retail and I don't think it does either consumer or retail employee any good.

What didn't help either was our organisation conveying two different messages to you. It is correct that a manager has the discretion to invoke whichever of the 3 R's are applicable in any fault circumstance and you were so advised by our KNOWHOW technician, leading no doubt to an expectation that such an exchange would occur. But we would not do that on a first repair instance and the manager was correct to go to the repair route. I will be taking that inconsistency up with our KNOWHOW technical centre as anyone is going to get irritated by two different messages.

We need to repair your product obviously and, if a repair is not possible, to replace or refund it. The best way to do that would be to book it in for a repair through 1890 700 001. That way, we come to your home, collect and repair the product and ship it back to you.
21.02.2012 10:05 #12
Hi Declan

Thank for the reply. The manager is still not taking responsibility for his behaviour. He did not listen to my point of view an appeared aggitated form the beginning, maybe due to the fact that the Tech guy had said I needed a replacement. He may have felt undermined by someone else taking the decision before him, but i did not deserve it to be taken out on me.

Has he explained why he blatantly lied to my face repeatedly. I like the way he has now transferred the issue to the KnowHow section.

I did book a repair with England directly as I found the chap on the phone to be courteous and helpful.

The issue here has gone beyond the substandard laptop I was sold by your store. It is now about being a paying customer and being treated like dirt.
21.02.2012 11:11 #13

Just so you know, you're NOT entitled to a refund. Look at your consumer rights.
21.02.2012 16:57 #14
There is a lot of good being done for Currys etc by Declan being on here, but this type of BS where people do their best to make problems for somebody just doing his or her job is not on.

No Tara you didn't get what you want, and we only have your point of view that you were not rude.

You have your answer, the MD offered you exactly what the Manager offered you, accept it and move on stop trying to cause issues for a hard working man or woman.

PS I have shopped in this store many times and the manager I know is not the type of person you described which leads me to believe events are possibly not what you described.
5 thanks
25.02.2012 21:11 #15
Well said Chonker
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list