Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Currys & PC World Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

1 TB Cloud Storage - 5 years - 90 Quid

19.02.2012 20:23 #16
Originally posted by dingding
Thanks Declan.

I am heading to uk for 2 weeks but I would be interested in purchasing it at the offer price.

Writing this a the airport.

What is the handiest way to organise this.

I am writing a thesis at the moment and looks like it would be great for that. Keeping backups of all the stuff.

Cheers.

Just drop me a pm when you're planning on heading into store and I'll set it up with the store guys
19.02.2012 20:25 #17
Originally posted by Random
why do i need to pay a delivery charge of 7.99 if bought online? am i paying for a fancy leaflet to be delivered?

All online deliveries are handled by DPD so it's a courier charge whether it's something big like a vacuum cleaner or or a small pack like this one. Once you pay one delivery charge you won't pay anything further for delivery so you could throw in an extra item or two ( or maybe that's a desperate throw of the dice... )
19.02.2012 20:26 #18
Closed Account
whats in the pack though declan? surely its just a voucher code or something i need to signup for the online service?
19.02.2012 20:29 #19
whats in the pack though declan? surely its just a voucher code or something i need to signup for the online service?

Yes, so another option would be to place the online order and I'll have the webteam email you out the code. You can always pick up the pack whenever you're passing a store.
19.02.2012 20:31 #20
Closed Account
maybe im missing something here but i have no idea what the pack includes. its an online cloud based storage solution that you are selling - whats in the pack?
19.02.2012 20:38 #21
maybe im missing something here but i have no idea what the pack includes. its an online cloud based storage solution that you are selling - whats in the pack?

"Pack " is overstating it a bit. It's a leaflet or a guide.
19.02.2012 20:44 #22
http://www.pcworld.co....rs-11264362-pdt.html

Same product. The UK site is more comprehensive that what we have on ours.
19.02.2012 21:54 #23
Installation was a breeze and the product works quietly in the background without interfering with normal usage, but you can still call up a status window easily to see that everything you have selected is being backed up. Sharing files through the briefcase is brilliant.Bad PointsIt takes a long time to back up everything in the first place because upload speeds are so slow, but once done, new files and amendments are backed up as you go, quickly and without fuss.
Above is a review which was posted on the UK site.

The Briefcase looks like a useful function.

https://www.livedrive.com/ForHome/Briefcase

It looks like it is this prduct but limited to 1TB and 3 computers.
Last edited by dingding: 19.02.2012 at 21:56.
19.02.2012 22:03 #24
Installation was a breeze and the product works quietly in the background without interfering with normal usage, but you can still call up a status window easily to see that everything you have selected is being backed up. Sharing files through the briefcase is brilliant.Bad PointsIt takes a long time to back up everything in the first place because upload speeds are so slow, but once done, new files and amendments are backed up as you go, quickly and without fuss.
Above is a review which was posted on the UK site.

The Briefcase looks like a useful function.

https://www.livedrive.com/ForHome/Briefcase

It looks like it is this prduct but limited to 1TB and 3 computers.

I have it here (well I have old store and share, the product this replaces) and in the settings you can alter the bandwidth used to whatever you want. I've just left it as normal but I assume if you change it, it will use all the bandwidth you tell it.
19.02.2012 22:11 #25
http://www.pcworld.ie/...ARE-KNOWHOW/307183/1

Saw this on the PC World site, which shows how good value the offer is.

Almighty Cushion, The bandwidth in the review is probably a reflection of the users upstream bandwidth. I have UPC so it should not be a problem.
19.02.2012 22:40 #26
http://www.pcworld.ie/...ARE-KNOWHOW/307183/1

Saw this on the PC World site, which shows how good value the offer is.

Almighty Cushion, The bandwidth in the review is probably a reflection of the users upstream bandwidth. I have UPC so it should not be a problem.

Yeah, that's the one I have. The new one is more or less the same just with more storage space. The briefcase is kinda like dropbox. It appears as a drive in my computer and anything put in there gets backed up and synced with the other computers.
1 thank
25.02.2012 00:13 #27
Just got this today, I ordered it as per Declans instructions and I got an email of the reciept.

I went to this address https://www.livedrive.com/knowhowcloud and used the SKU 300924 and the transaction no is the large number at the bottom of the emailed reciept.

First impressions it was very easy to set up, once I logged onto the site I answered a few questions and I was presented with Windows and MAC software and some tutorials.

I installed the software (Win 7 32 bit) and I ran the programme setting it to back up the PC and I created a Briefcase. I also used the web share and I shared a folder with someone I know in Canada no problem. I gave their email address and the software emailed them with a password and instructions for sharing the files. You can share files and folders down to individuals.

I noticed the upload was a bit slow and I went into the settings and even though I had set the broadband speed at 8MB, the software had defaulted to max out at 64kbps. A quick change to the default settings seems to have improved this but to early to know the full extent.

I tried the iPad app. This is found under Knowhow and there is also an iPhone app.

The iPad app appears to work well, I have not uploaded any music yet to check the music playing functionality. And you can view files from within the Knowhow application.

The native livedrive app does not work with the account and comes up with an invalid account type.

The only downside of the app is that it does not appear to let you upload files directly from the iPad. This feature would make it a killer app and really revolutionise the use of the iPad. I tried this feature with several apps and could not get it to save. Also if notifications centre informed you of a change to the files in your briefcase it would be excellent.

The iPhone app is the same as the iPad app and both apps allow you to upload photos to the cloud service.

All in all, good value storage and at €90 comparable with a similar sized hard drive.
1 thank
25.02.2012 00:16 #28
Closed Account
@dingding
what speed is your upload (you mention 8mb but not sure if thats your up speed or not)
what speed are you getting with your uploads?
25.02.2012 00:32 #29
Hi Random,

I am not at home at the moment I am on a university campus so the speed is flcutuating widely.

When I look at the performance monitor I see the upload as 3,000,000 to over 6,000,000 bytes per second.

I will have a better idea when I am at home.

Also some of the more expensive business livedrive packages on which this is based allow webdav and sftp access, however this account does not. If it supported these protocols you would have more options for allowing uploads from iPhones and iPads.

Sorry for not been able to give you a more accurate picture on the speed.

I was able to get FTP to work on the iPad using FTP On The Go.

The trick was in the manipulation of the advance settings.

PASV Mode = On
Mode Z Compression = Off
Always use Unicode = On
Maximum Compatibility = OFF
Raw FTP commands option in ftp Menus = Off
Folder Text Encoding = Automatic

And the ftp settings were

Server = ftp.livedrive.com

Connection Protol = FTP

Using the above settings I was able to download files.

I also set up FTP on a windows 7 machine as d I was able to upload and download files to the briefcase via FTP.
Last edited by dingding: 25.02.2012 at 21:41. Reason: More FTP Details added.
26.02.2012 00:05 #30
This sounds like a super deal, am I correct in saying €90 for 5 years or is it €90 per year?? for 1tb?

Declan do I just PM you?

Thanks
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image