Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Currys & PC World Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Samsung PS43D450 - specially delicate screen?

15.02.2012 15:50 #1
Hi
I bought one of these online from you guys taking delivery jut over 4 weeks ago and my normally non-terror of a 6 year old has succeeded in cracking the screen using a plastic plate like a Frisbee. I appreciate that these TV's don't stand up to much abuse but would this particular set have a special vulnerability in this area, in your company's experience?
Picture is totally gone, the impact on the screen is faint cracks out in 6 or 7 directions from the epicenter in a radius of less than 7cm .
I can't imagine you can do anything for me - in terms of repair (presumably costs more than a new set) or with replacement (well yes I am asking but don't really expect) but are Samsung producing a sturdy enough product. Could I have a valid point against them?
Would an LCD be stronger screen for playroom use?

I'd welcome any suggestions of how I might be able to soften the hit.

Rgds

Aerpl
15.02.2012 16:25 #2
If you manage to get it repaired you will save yourself a lot of heartache by not putting such a delicate and expensive piece of equipment in a playroom .Look on done deal and get a regular old glass fronted tv .He could play to his hearts content like any 6 year old. Put the new one away or in another room until he's older .
15.02.2012 16:39 #3
Go back in store with your receipt and see if some eager young sales man will sell you coverplan? with just the reciept.

I am pretty sure the cost to repair and the coverplan will cancel them self our so you dont really have to feel you cheated Currys (too much)

Unless you break it again and make them fix it, that would be just plain nasty.
15.02.2012 16:46 #4
Ha,ha yes - we will not be putting in a new TV there, the 5 year old LCD in our sitting room will probably be it. But if there is a decent size old glass fronted TV on donedeal then that might do the job, thanks.
Spot on gender assumption there in your reply - it would have surprised me less if it was my 4 year old girl.
Aerpl
15.02.2012 16:49 #5
Originally posted by aerpl
Hi
I bought one of these online from you guys taking delivery jut over 4 weeks ago and my normally non-terror of a 6 year old has succeeded in cracking the screen using a plastic plate like a Frisbee. I appreciate that these TV's don't stand up to much abuse but would this particular set have a special vulnerability in this area, in your company's experience?
Picture is totally gone, the impact on the screen is faint cracks out in 6 or 7 directions from the epicenter in a radius of less than 7cm .
I can't imagine you can do anything for me - in terms of repair (presumably costs more than a new set) or with replacement (well yes I am asking but don't really expect) but are Samsung producing a sturdy enough product. Could I have a valid point against them?
Would an LCD be stronger screen for playroom use?

I'd welcome any suggestions of how I might be able to soften the hit.

Rgds

Aerpl

Sorry to hear about it. We do a fault and fix service and can quote for a repair. What we do for that is take € 65 from you, ship it off to the repair centre and they then ring you up and quote you an exact price for the repair. If you go ahead with that the € 65 is included in the repair cost.

However, I've spoken to one of my guys and his estimate for this unit would be € 300 at the very least and probably more. I don't think there is any point in appealing to Samsung as these are delicate products no matter who the brand is and I wouldn't go bumping into them or giving them any kind of shock.

What I can do is get you a replacement unit at cost plus the delivery charge if you order. TV's margins are by no means or manner glorious so that would get it down to € 350 or thereabouts.

What you really need to do then is invest in Coverplan. That covers anything that goes wrong with the TV, be it kids, it falling over ( we had a guy last week who used the wrong screws in assembly, fell off the stand and smashed ) or getting accidentally knocked against, liquid damage , power surges - and the normal manufacturers extended guarantee also. € 79 for 3 years or € 109 for 5. At least you're in a good spot if it happened again. And we come to you and collect, repair or replace if we need to and bring you back to where you were.
15.02.2012 17:35 #6
Ha,ha yes - we will not be putting in a new TV there, the 5 year old LCD in our sitting room will probably be it. But if there is a decent size old glass fronted TV on donedeal then that might do the job, thanks.
Spot on gender assumption there in your reply - it would have surprised me less if it was my 4 year old girl.
Aerpl

I never realised you didn't say boy or girl .Must be after nearly raising 2 boys ( now 15 and 18 ) that I just assumed a boy was involved .
Any chance your house insurance would cover the repair , if your excess isn't too high ?
16.02.2012 17:12 #7
Thanks Declan, for the offer. I will mull over my options this weekend.
Should I want to take you up I guess that I'll PM you before going online?
17.02.2012 09:08 #8
Thanks Declan, for the offer. I will mull over my options this weekend.
Should I want to take you up I guess that I'll PM you before going online?

Yes, I'll get the wheels in motion if you drop me a pm
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon