Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Three Representatives

10 hrs
Response Time
88%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday-Friday: 10am-4pm

Huawei B260a External Antenna info???

07.02.2012 04:15 #1
Can anyone tell me what the specs are for the external antenna for the Huawei B260a router? Have searched this site, the net and elsewhere for help......have even phoned 3 support (complete waste of time I'm sorry to say :( )

As I live in the middle of nowhere in a house with two foot thick granite stone walls, my signal is bad at the best of times. I don't want to resort to going to 3s satellite service cos it's a total disaster - have worked on a lot of machines locally with that service and they worse than what I've got. If the rep from 3 can IM me with the info,that would be great.

Thanks

J
07.02.2012 14:03 #2
For the NBS you mean? If so, let me know and I'll find that info for you.
07.02.2012 16:03 #3
Hi Patrick

Yeah - am under the NBS. Signal just gets so bad sometimes it can take ages to load anything. Know that the structure of this house can reduce the reception to almost nothing so anything you can suggest would be great
07.02.2012 16:43 #4
I presume it's up to Three to get you sorted, if you are in a NBS area with no signal, but anyway as far as an antenna, there are no specs as such other than it takes an SMA plug. All the "3g" antennas are suitable for all routers, other than the little connector, at the end of the cable. There are adapters available to suit all makes.

After that it's up to yourself, how much gain, how much you want to pay, whether you want to mount it outside etc. etc.

You can try a cheap and cheerful from Ebay, try to keep the lead length as short as possible, or try here

http://www.connextech....l-smp-918-9-59-p.asp
07.02.2012 16:44 #5
Originally posted by FanadMan
Hi Patrick

Yeah - am under the NBS. Signal just gets so bad sometimes it can take ages to load anything. Know that the structure of this house can reduce the reception to almost nothing so anything you can suggest would be great

If it works well some of the time the I don't think its anything to do with the house (unless its the Tardis?).

The walls can be an issue, so you put the router in a window where you get the best signal then the walls aren't a problem. I've even mounted dongles and routers outside in waterproof enclosures to get a better signal but once you have a conntection even with a low strenght signal, the actual speed is a national disgrace 3 issue.

The number of bars signal strength is far less important than the number of other users on at the same time in your area. I can get 2Mbps with ZERO - bars (about 6% signal strenght) in the middle of the night but midday I can connect but can't even load a webpage. That just shouts too many users in my area - I'm not NBS though, in your case 3 have some standards that have to apply even if they don't amount to Broadband Standards.
08.02.2012 12:25 #6
Hi Patrick

Okay cool. Well. lets get your service assessed to see if that's what you need or not. Send me through your account details and we can take it from there. I've asked for the specs also in case you do need one.
13.02.2012 16:41 #7
Its been 6 days since I started this - any information coming? Just ran a speedtest and its bad.....

http://www.speedtest.n...esult/1770707779.png

This is normal speed for me. It's taken me 3 or 4 attempts to even get to this page to reply thanks to the terrible speed.
13.02.2012 17:41 #8
OP if thats your speed then thats it, an antenna won't improve it. Your problem is more likely a lack of bandwidth in your cell and on the mast back haul.

Your upto 7.2Mbps speed is depend on the number of other users in your cell but if the mast doesn't have the back haul capacity and afaik some don't then users in another cell on the same mast can be using all the back haul bandwidth.

So what I am saying is that you may well be in the back of beyond and there may be very few other users in your cell but thats not the whole story.

The standard test for congestion of whatever type is to check your speeds after 1am in the moring and before 8am, if they are much better then congestions the problem.

You really need to call 3's nbs support and keep at them everyday untill you get this sorted. Either they'll let you out of contract or offer Satellite after trying a couple of repeater options first but you really need to keep chasing them useless as they are.
13.02.2012 18:16 #9
I dont sleep that well so most of the work I do is during the night and even then the speed is terrible.

I've even climbed up to the roof (during the day) and when I couldnt get a connection inside the house, I managed to get a really good speed. And have a neighbour in a similar house who has the exact same problem inside. When he takes his mifi outside the signal goes through the roof.

If I get a phonecall on my meteor or vodafone phones, I have to go outside to get a decent signal. This house and a lot of other old houses in the locallity have always had terrible problems with mobile signals.
13.02.2012 18:35 #10
I dont sleep that well so most of the work I do is during the night and even then the speed is terrible.

I've even climbed up to the roof (during the day) and when I couldnt get a connection inside the house, I managed to get a really good speed. And have a neighbour in a similar house who has the exact same problem inside. When he takes his mifi outside the signal goes through the roof.

If I get a phonecall on my meteor or vodafone phones, I have to go outside to get a decent signal. This house and a lot of other old houses in the locallity have always had terrible problems with mobile signals.

Fair enough but you have to keep on calling 3's support to get anything done, it will wear you done. If you can get a better signal outside then one of the next steps solutions that 3 offer nbs customers should sort you out.

It might be that you are connecting to a different mast when the router is outside? btw there are some people that have their router mounted on the roof as thats the only place it works well enough.

What are your best speeds inside?
13.02.2012 20:10 #11
Inside, the max speed is normally about 0.7 download and 0.2 upload. But generally, the speeds seem to be about 0.4/0.2 However there are times that I can get up to about 2Mbps download but these times are so rare. Outside I've reached 6.8 download!!

I've tried calling 3 ages ago - complete waste of time. The reason I'm posting here is in the hope that Patrick or Fiona can sort something or at least point me in the right direction.
13.02.2012 20:33 #12
Inside, the max speed is normally about 0.7 download and 0.2 upload. But generally, the speeds seem to be about 0.4/0.2 However there are times that I can get up to about 2Mbps download but these times are so rare. Outside I've reached 6.8 download!!

I've tried calling 3 ages ago - complete waste of time. The reason I'm posting here is in the hope that Patrick or Fiona can sort something or at least point me in the right direction.

The 0.4/0.2 speeds might be the problem, they are what 3 seem to think is OK for BROADBAND with the nbs -

Originally posted by Three: Patrick
The criteria of the National Broadband Scheme, as set out by the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources state that the minimum speed requirement of the service is 1.6mbps subject to 22:1 contention rate. So to put it simply if there are even three other users serving off the serving site that it can mean speeds of 400kbps. If more than one device is connected through a wireless router it means the 400kbps is split to 200kbps.

Queries on this contractual agreement can be directed to the Department of Communication, Energy and Natural Resources.

(400kbps = 0.4Mbps)

from this old thread http://www.boards.ie/v...hread.php?p=69288401
13.02.2012 20:50 #13
Originally posted by baords dyslexic
The 0.4/0.2 speeds might be the problem, they are what 3 seem to think is OK for BROADBAND with the nbs -

(400kbps = 0.4Mbps)

from this old thread http://www.boards.ie/v...hread.php?p=69288401

Just run another speed test -
Ping 180ms Download 0.12Mbps Upload 0.04 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.n...esult/1771235925.png

Surely that is way below the NBS requirements?
13.02.2012 21:07 #14
Course it is but you have to keep yelling or shouting about it to get anything done and even then if 3 send someone out and they can get minimum speeds when they are there then 3 will say its OK.

If you don't get any help here another useful thread is 3 National Broadband Scheme - how do I escalate a complaint?
14.02.2012 04:13 #15
I honestly don't want to escalate my problem - especially to ComReg....yet. If it came down to it I'd buy the antenna and cabling myself but I really just wanted it brought to the attention of Patrick and Fiona to see if either of them could suggest an appropriate antenna.

However, if they refuse to help or say something like my speeds are acceptable then I'll definately go the complaint route. But me being me, I'd far rather take things easily first.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video