Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Currys & PC World Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Asus Transformer Prime Tablet

09.01.2012 15:52 #46
Well, to be honest, this is the never ending challenge when buying technology.
There will be a better device out soon. For the Apple crowd, that is every year or so, for the android crowd, it is more often, and with less upgrades.

I was looking for a decent tablet, had to be faster than the existing Tegra 2, with good battery life, good expansion options and look decent, while running Android.

The FT201 is still that tablet.
If I hold off now, because a better tablet is released in 6 months, I will never own a tablet :-)

Finally, the resolution on the tablet is optimal for what I will use it most for, viewing web-pages, higher resolutions will be scaled down for them not to be too small. For video, 1080P vs 720P on a 10" screen, who can tell the difference? The last kicker, is the same reason as to why the Ipad 3 is going to be thicker, higher resolution is requires better hardware, we might need a Tegra 4 for the tablet to be as smooth.

Bottom line, I will get the TF201, and upgrade in 2 years or so.
09.01.2012 17:22 #47
Originally posted by Kjetil
Hi Curry/PC World guys.

Just called your customer service. They tell me you got one Transformer Prime in stock in Galway (Lucky Galway person) but up to 28 days lead time on one in Dublin.

What are the outlook as of now, I would prefer to buy it from you guys, but if we are looking at more than a week I would have to look elsewhere.

Best Regards
Kjetil

With regret I'll have to push you to the elsewhere route but appreciate the sentiment. It feels like Groundhog Day again with stock issues pushing the launch day back. There may be very limited availability online in the UK for the 12th and we're trying as we speak to nab a few units of stock but that would also be online only here. I don't have an update on when we can expect general availability. I'm assuming it's not just ourselves so if you get any joy anywhere else I'd be keen to know. Sorry about all this.
09.01.2012 17:26 #48
Tf201 streams flawlessly for 1080p using bs player lite from my NAS. No jerks, and bloody beats copying and pasting to the ipad for anything else
09.01.2012 17:41 #49
Originally posted by Currys & PC World: Declan
With regret I'll have to push you to the elsewhere route but appreciate the sentiment. It feels like Groundhog Day again with stock issues pushing the launch day back. There may be very limited availability online in the UK for the 12th and we're trying as we speak to nab a few units of stock but that would also be online only here. I don't have an update on when we can expect general availability. I'm assuming it's not just ourselves so if you get any joy anywhere else I'd be keen to know. Sorry about all this.

Doh!

Got a gift of an IPad2 for xmas and was hoping to replace it for a Transformer Prime - have receipt. Been staring at it for two weeks wrapped in plastic.

But now that the Prime has been delayed again, I wonder can I replace it for store credit or something? Apple devices are not my cup of tea, but the older Android tablets are, well, a bit inferior.

Or is there some other new tablet on its way very soon?
09.01.2012 17:50 #50
Originally posted by mcbert
Doh!

Got a gift of an IPad2 for xmas and was hoping to replace it for a Transformer Prime - have receipt. Been staring at it for two weeks wrapped in plastic.

But now that the Prime has been delayed again, I wonder can I replace it for store credit or something? Apple devices are not my cup of tea, but the older Android tablets are, well, a bit inferior.

Or is there some other new tablet on its way very soon?

We'll exchange unopened gifts up until January 22nd I think. Might be worth hanging on for a week / 10 days and see what the lie of the land is then,
09.01.2012 18:29 #51
Originally posted by Kjetil
Well, to be honest, this is the never ending challenge when buying technology.
There will be a better device out soon. For the Apple crowd, that is every year or so, for the android crowd, it is more often, and with less upgrades.

I was looking for a decent tablet, had to be faster than the existing Tegra 2, with good battery life, good expansion options and look decent, while running Android.

The FT201 is still that tablet.
If I hold off now, because a better tablet is released in 6 months, I will never own a tablet :-)

Finally, the resolution on the tablet is optimal for what I will use it most for, viewing web-pages, higher resolutions will be scaled down for them not to be too small. For video, 1080P vs 720P on a 10" screen, who can tell the difference? The last kicker, is the same reason as to why the Ipad 3 is going to be thicker, higher resolution is requires better hardware, we might need a Tegra 4 for the tablet to be as smooth.

Bottom line, I will get the TF201, and upgrade in 2 years or so.

Oh I agree that there is always a new piece of technology around the corner & screen resolution really wouldnt make that much of a difference unless you have robot eyes. I was more looking at the improved wifi/gps of the newer moel since the TF201 seems to be having problems with that.
09.01.2012 18:31 #52
Originally posted by Yenwod
Oh I agree that there is always a new piece of technology around the corner & screen resolution really wouldnt make that much of a difference unless you have robot eyes. I was more looking at the improved wifi/gps of the newer moel since the TF201 seems to be having problems with that.

Last I checked WiFi performance wasn't problematic thanks to the dual antennas. It was the GPS that was problematic and in some cases unusable, hence why Asus removed it from the spec list.
09.01.2012 18:47 #53
Originally posted by AlmightyCushion
Originally posted by Yenwod

Last I checked WiFi performance wasn't problematic thanks to the dual antennas. It was the GPS that was problematic and in some cases unusable, hence why Asus removed it from the spec list.

I think it's still sketchy in some of the tablets but possibly only the first batch?

Ack I know impatience will get the better of me :-D ...well, when they come in stock
09.01.2012 21:45 #54
I was dying to get my hands on one of these until I heard all the bad reports regarding the wifi range...:( It seems once you get to 20 feet or so the speed drops off pretty dramatically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCZc3pjtrA

http://www.transformer...0-wifi-horrible.html

I don't think I can justify spending 600 quid on something that has a fairly fundamental flaw like this... but I want it soooo much ::sobs::

If most of your usage will be in the same room or close to your router then it'll probably be fine for you though.
10.01.2012 12:45 #55
I managed to get my hands on a 64GB without dock from komplett. Should arrive thursday/friday.
Not my first choice but well, not that many options out there at the moment.
The FT700, well we are probably 4-6 months away from a EU launch. If the WiFi is bad it's going back. Will let you all know who it works out.
1 thank
10.01.2012 12:53 #56
I went to buy the 64 from Komplett this morning.

The site said 2 in stock but when I went to the checkout it said expected arrival to Komplett was the 6th of February. Are you sure you are getting it this week?

I take it back. It said they had 2 in stock and where expecting more on the 6th of Feb.

They now have 0 in stock :P
Last edited by davkav: 10.01.2012 at 13:10.
10.01.2012 13:23 #57
Phew, that was good to hear, just commented on the komplett thread as well, got nervous. Took a few hours so agree to the 64gb with no dock, don't want that to get delayed as well :-)

Fingers crossed that we have this in our hands before the weekend ;-)
13.01.2012 04:03 #58
@Declan, any update when pc world and currys stores will have this in stock? was supposed to be released yesterday the 12th January, havent had a chance to check any of the stores and its not up on the website, thanks
13.01.2012 16:50 #59
^My brother got one yesterday in Currys (32GB grey with dock). They said they have very limited stock. Cost 630, (maybe because of the VAT increase). It wasn't even on display though, I had to ask.
13.01.2012 16:50 #60
*Double post*
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image