Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Currys & PC World Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Kindle Fire

28.09.2011 21:55 #1
Just saw the video for the release of the new Kindle tab, do you know if you'll be stocking it & when?
28.09.2011 21:56 #2
It seems to be a USA product only.
28.09.2011 22:39 #3
Originally posted by mousehouse

The release date looks like November 15th. Don't know if this is worldwide or not but you'd hope that we would get the chance here in time for Christmas. As and when I get info I'll update.
28.09.2011 23:45 #4
Originally posted by Currys &
Originally posted by mousehouse

The release date looks like November 15th. Don't know if this is worldwide or not but you'd hope that we would get the chance here in time for Christmas. As and when I get info I'll update.

Is this the same for the other new Kindles announced today? Any word on price yet?
28.09.2011 23:49 #5
I'm fairly interested in the price of the Kindle 4. I cant help but assume that it wont match the $79 price in the US.
29.09.2011 11:28 #6
Originally posted by DjFlin
I'm fairly interested in the price of the Kindle 4. I cant help but assume that it wont match the $79 price in the US.

£89 and doesn't have any of the sponsored ads that the US one has
01.10.2011 12:11 #7
Apparantly its only available in the U.S at the moment, as i tried to pre-order and it wouldnt ship to me.
Im sick of not being able to get things, and it only being in the U.S. No doubt when they eventually decide to release it to us poor relatives, we will be charged an inflated price!!!!
01.10.2011 13:08 #8
Hopefully will have some family member on holiday in the States at some stage and can get one shipped to them and they can bring it home.

AFAIK the Silk browser won't work as intended if you're outside the States as it uses the Amazon Cloud to speed it up and I'm not sure if this will work, there is an option though to turn off the Silk browser and use the browser like a conventional one.

So the only services you would have on the Kindle are:

The App Store (this works on my android phone so should be ok)
The Kindle store (as above, and I can purchase books from the US)

The MP3 store and Movies/TV shows won't work and you'll just have to load them on using the 8GB internal memory.

No SD slot is a huge draw-back as well as a 16GB would be nice and handy to circumvent the movies/tv issue.
Last edited by The Ayatolla: 01.10.2011 at 13:13.
02.11.2011 11:37 #9
Originally posted by Currys & PC World: Declan

hi what is the latest on the new kindle fire will it be available in ireland on its relase date? if not, can we but from amazon us and will it work here in ireland?
02.11.2011 12:03 #10
Highly doubtful that the Fire will be available outside the US.

We'll be waiting a long while I'd imagine.
02.11.2011 13:27 #11
Originally posted by The Ayatolla
Highly doubtful that the Fire will be available outside the US.

We'll be waiting a long while I'd imagine.

It's not on our radar for Christmas.
05.02.2012 09:46 #12
Any sign of it on any radar yet?
05.02.2012 09:49 #13
Originally posted by CajunOnTour

You need to be asking Amazon, not the retailers.
05.02.2012 20:23 #14

Not yet. As and when I have anything I'll let you know
19.02.2012 01:28 #15

Could be some time, the Kindle Fire uses a cloud based web browser. All content you view goes through their servers first, because they're an American based company your data would be vulnerable to US laws. So really it's just the EU looking protecting us.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video