Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Three Representatives

6 hrs
Response Time
93%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday-Friday: 10am-4pm

Huawei Router B260a - External Antenna?

13.06.2011 13:16 #1
Hi there,

can you please advise on the exact requirements for the Huawei Router B260a external antenna ?

I've seen CRC9 mentioned and SMA-F but I'm not familiar with these - though I am comfortable with setting things up with guidance.

It's for my parents and I'm not there to check the box so if you can let me know the exact connection and preferable a readily integrated antenna I can set it up on my next visit.

The service was great for a while but has slowed recently so I'm going to try this as the router is already in the highest part of the house...

many thanks
14.06.2011 13:33 #2
I'm getting this checked with the networks team as its waaay over my head! :D
1 thank
14.06.2011 15:07 #3
Don't have one, but 99.99% sure it's an SMA-F thats on the modem, so your antenna pigtail needs to be a SMA-M.

The connector you need looks like this:

The above connector will then accept any standard 3g antenna, the type you buy is up to you.
If you really want to maximise your signal you would need an external yagi aerial or similar.
Last edited by Zimmerframe: 14.06.2011 at 15:42.
1 thank
14.06.2011 17:14 #4
Thanks;
I think you are correct - the official Huawei website is pants BTW

http://www.modem3g.com...ireless-gateway.html
09.07.2011 02:29 #5
well lads, do three have special software for that b260a router or could i buy a third party antenna and router and use the three sim card it?! the signal is fairly poor from time to time! any other ideas?!
09.07.2011 15:32 #6
well, at the moment i have my fone acting as my wifi router and it need to be beside the window to pick up a signal. even with the fone from time to time, it changes from a "H" signal of 2-4 mb to a "3G" signal which is no good and can have no connection at another time!... ya so i was thinking that if i put an Aerial on the roof beside the uhf aerial connected to a router ( probably the hauwei b260a router from three)! wondered would this stop the signal loss from time to time! any ideas if this will work or the products to use?!
10.07.2011 18:26 #7
hey guys, i was just wondering if these aerials/ repeaters/boosters are illegal.. after a bit of research the last few days! i found a few threads that suggested that they are illegal?! any ideas
10.07.2011 18:52 #8
How could an aerial be illegal ?
The aerial simply plugs into your router, thats it.
1 thank
10.07.2011 18:58 #9
ya, i don't know much about the subject of which aerial to buy! its just what i was reading in one forum that it can send a signal and **** with other peoples! ya, will probally get on of them so thanks lad
10.07.2011 19:20 #10
Originally posted by eoinzy111
ya, i don't know much about the subject of which aerial to buy! its just what i was reading in one forum that it can send a signal and **** with other peoples! ya, will probally get on of them so thanks lad

I would say, your best bet is get the router for a start (one with an ext. antenna connection), then find the best spot in the house for signal, maybe the attic or near a window?
That alone may solve your problems.
10.07.2011 19:28 #11
http://www.speedtest.n...esult/1379664336.png
that's the connection now, its fairly good now... just want to get the best connection possible without a lag!
10.07.2011 19:29 #12

that's the connection now, its fairly good now... just want to get the best connection possible without a lag! it can go way down to .3 mb at other times! ya, must get an aerial there one of the days and try it out
Last edited by murphy10101: 10.07.2011 at 19:32.
10.07.2011 20:19 #13
hey guys, i was just wondering if these aerials/ repeaters/boosters are illegal.. after a bit of research the last few days! i found a few threads that suggested that they are illegal?! any ideas

Its repeaters that are illegal, the things that pick up a signal and then rebroacast it, thats because in doing so you could be messing up someone elses reception. You can have as big an antenna as you want as that isn't going to interfere with anyone else.

But the licence holder in this case 3 can install repeater/boosters but they only do this for nbs customers and tbh the repeaters aren't all they are cracked up to be ;)
1 thank
10.07.2011 20:31 #14
sorry william but what does the stuff abbreviated terms mean?! "NBS customers and TBH the repeaters aren't all they are cracked up to be" not on forum website much:confused: i'm going signing up to a 20 euro contract with three ireland.. that signal can vary, its fairly decent today
10.07.2011 21:13 #15
sorry william but what does the stuff abbreviated terms mean?! "NBS customers and TBH the repeaters aren't all they are cracked up to be" not on forum website much:confused: i'm going signing up to a 20 euro contract with three ireland.. that signal can vary, its fairly decent today

Are you mixing up signal strength with speed.
If your phone has an adequate 3g signal then forget about routers/repeaters antennas etc.
These equipment really only help if you have poor "reception" (not poor speed) and you are on the edge of a cell etc.
If you have adequate signal strength but are getting slow speeds, then there is nothing you can do about it, it's contention.
A lot of people would be impressed with your speeedtest results.
Last edited by Zimmerframe: 10.07.2011 at 21:16.
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon