Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Adverts.ie Representatives

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5.30pm

Adverts 2.0 - Adblock Plus Fix

15.12.2010 20:11 #1
I didn't see a fix posted anywhere so feel free to merge this somewhere if appropriate :). So I noticed I couldn't place an ad on Adverts with the latest Firefox; I selected the ad type but nothing happened, it never moved onto category.

Adblock Plus is the culprit - it actively kills the internet-wizardry that's at work to make the boxes populate differently depending on your ad type :eek:

To make it all work again without disabling Adblock Plus (I hate site-wide disables):

1. Go to Tools -> Adblock Plus Preferences

2. Click the button "Add Filter" down the bottom left.

3. Add the following filter and then click OK.
Code:
@@||adverts.ie/ajax/*

Attached Images

9 thanks
15.12.2010 21:35 #2
Thanks, I didnt know what to name the filter, so had to disable the lot which i didnt want to do..fixed fine now..
15.12.2010 23:05 #3
Life is hard, deal with it.
Thanks TouchingVirus, really helpful.
I'll sticky this as it will help a lot of people till a more formal solution is found.
1 thank
16.12.2010 01:22 #4
Cheers for the sticky Steve. FYI the problem lies with an inbuilt filter on the most common Adblock List (Easylist - English) that blocks URLs containing "?adType=". When you click the ad type on the place ad page it loads a URL: http://www.adverts.ie/ajax/getCategories.php?adType=xxx. Change the argument name from adType to something else and fix the problem :)

There was something similar in the previous incarnation of adverts (adverts 1.5), though it was a different filter, I posted the fix around the time of the previous changeover.
1 thank
16.12.2010 22:11 #5
Booooom, Blast & Ruin
adType is a totally valid parameter name though as I assume it flows through the whole codebase and is a totally logical name for a parameter.

you could hardly expect them to change all parameters that may be blocked by AdBlock plus extension, would be interesting to see how many people actually use AdBlock plus but there's no clear cut way of figuring that out if i'm right.
17.12.2010 11:43 #6
Originally posted by Creamy Goodness
adType is a totally valid parameter name though as I assume it flows through the whole codebase and is a totally logical name for a parameter.

you could hardly expect them to change all parameters that may be blocked by AdBlock plus extension, would be interesting to see how many people actually use AdBlock plus but there's no clear cut way of figuring that out if i'm right.

I completely agree with you, it's an appropriate parameter name if ever there was one. If the parameter name isn't going to be adjusted (even advertType might do) then the fix above or disabling the ?adtype= filter will have to remain the fix :)
18.05.2011 16:55 #7
:D:D:D:D
@TouchingVirus: You, my good man, are an absolute LEGEND!! I was driven demented trying to get to the bottom of this!! Was nearly going ballistic every time the 'Place Ad' arrow disappeared:mad::rolleyes:
26.05.2011 15:05 #8
does anyone know how to change settings for adblock now the new buttons are in place?
Couldnt use the reply button, disabled ad block (thanks eddie) and they work, but im stuck with the stupid ads all over the place..
29.05.2011 19:14 #9
Originally posted by BengaLover
does anyone know how to change settings for adblock now the new buttons are in place?
Couldnt use the reply button, disabled ad block (thanks eddie) and they work, but im stuck with the stupid ads all over the place..

if you mean you no longer have the adblock button on your tolbars since updating firefox you can get it back. right click anywhere on your menu bar or top bar of browser window where the tabs are, then go to customise and all your toolbars and active buttons should appear, you can then move the adblock button to a main toolbar so you can access it later.

then activate it on adverts and follow the instructions above to add the adverts filter for adverts:D
19.09.2011 19:22 #10
The "only show" options at the side only work on the main search page. if i choose a category to search in or use the search box i am then unable to use these options(sold. withdrawn, private seller, ads with photos etc) to narrow my search, I have looked through the adblock filters to sort it but couldn't get it right:(

Could this be fixed? im using firefox6.02

Also using this filter unblocks the Report advert box:D
Code:
@@||adverts.ie^
Last edited by foggy_lad: 19.09.2011 at 19:25.
19.09.2011 23:38 #11
The only filter I use is:
Code:
||adserver.adtech.de^
Everything works fine but I'm still on an older version of FF :).
20.09.2011 00:16 #12
Originally posted by Steve
The only filter I use is:
Code:
||adserver.adtech.de^

Those filter options have never worked properly for me in any version of firefox unless i disable adblock for adverts.ie, maybe i have something set wrong?
20.09.2011 00:47 #13
Is that a quote from Micheál Martin?
5 thanks
20.09.2011 22:28 #14
Originally posted by foggy_lad
Those filter options have never worked properly for me in any version of firefox unless i disable adblock for adverts.ie, maybe i have something set wrong?

Yeah, you don't need to block anything from adverts.ie so switch it all off. All the banner / flash ads are served from adtech.de.

Originally posted by muffler
Is that a quote from Micheál Martin?
:D
21.09.2011 11:12 #15
Yeah, you don't need to block anything from adverts.ie so switch it all off. All the banner / flash ads are served from adtech.de.

:D

When I disable adblock on adverts.ie I get all the annoying adverts....?
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video