HIB Registered User

Another Simon Singh one. "Fermat's Last Theorem". A very good read. Simply explained but really gets you thinking as well.

eightyfish Registered User

Shabadu said:
Bill Bryson : A Short History of Nearly Everything

Really loved this book. Read it in a week sitting out in the sun back when we had summers. Catalysed an interest in science that led to going back to college to get a science degree!

Thomas_S_Hunterson Closed Account

Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter is a must-read for anyone interested in philosophy and/or maths.
link

HIB
Another Simon Singh one. "Fermat's Last Theorem". A very good read. Simply explained but really gets you thinking as well.

I found this far too light on mathematical or scientific content.

astroguy Registered User

I would highly recommend "The Human Mind", by Robert Winston. It's like a short history of human thought on psychology, neuroscience, etc, with loads of interesting examples. I'd also recommend "Human Instinct", by the same author. It covers evolutionary psychology and is a very interesting introduction.

chakotha Registered User

marco_polo said:
The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene is a pretty good introduction to physics for the non scentific minded.

Have just ordered this today - it looks good from the reviews.

Surely your Joking Mr Feynman is a good read.

Also The Whole Shebang: A State-of-the-Universe(s) Report by Timothy Ferris.

1 person has thanked this post
magneticimpulse Registered User

ArthurDent said:
Agree totally with this - anyone that goes off to teach in Brazil mainly to learn the the drums is fine by me.

Would also recommend anything by Primo Levi - chemist and concentration Camp survivor , books aren't very "science" but very interesting none the less

yeah i have his book - the periodic table

magneticimpulse Registered User

chakotha said:
Have just ordered this today - it looks good from the reviews.

Surely your Joking Mr Feynman is a good read.

Also The Whole Shebang: A State-of-the-Universe(s) Report by Timothy Ferris.

i never read the fabric of the cosmos myself, but bought it for a boyfriend one time. he wasnt too impressed, wanted fiction instead. i did try to read it, but it does go into alot of detail.

mcrdotcom Registered User

nesf said:

"In Search of Schroedinger's Kittens"/"In search of Schroedinger's Cat" - John Gribbon.

I havnt read it but I love the first title!

thayes93 Registered User

magicbastarder said:
for more on feynman, james gleick's biography of him, genius is one of the best biographies i've ever read.

I couldn't agree more =]

conorstuff Registered User

The Code Book is one of my favourite popular science books. Then probably Dr. Riemann's Zeroes, or Big Bang.

FarmerGreen Registered User

The snappily titled
'Atomic energy for military purposes; the official report on the development of the atomic bomb under the auspices of the United States Government, 1940-1945'

http://www.archive.org/details/atomicenergyform00smytrich

mickydcork Registered User

'The Big Bang' by Simon Singh is excellent.

'The Making of the Atomic Bomb' is fascinating, but it's a hefty read

'Fabric of The Cosmos' by Brian Greene

'Cosmos' by Carl Sagan is superb

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!