Con Logue Banned
#16

snubbleste said:
In its latest austerity move, the Greek government is to close its State funded radio and television until further notice.
More than 2,000 employees will be suspended until the company reopens as soon as possible. "ERT is a case of an exceptional lack of transparency and incredible extravagance. This ends now," government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou said, according to the AFP news agency. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22861577

Why can't we be as progressive in this country? Imagine all that taxpayer money we throw to fund RTE being freed up. We'd all benefit from a break from that overfunded propaganda-lite service. I would welcome this particular austerity move in this country.


TV3 and it's wax faced women? Thank God I have the BBC.

3 people have thanked this post
mike65 Closed Account
#17

While I have no time for the ludicrous RTE glitterati and I hardly watch a thing on the channel, it would be foolish to close it and then expect TV3 or NT (assuming RTE radio was also closed down) to take up the slack in any meaningful way. We'd just see the extra advertising money end up as more expensive frocks for the gals on xpose.

1 person has thanked this post
IM0 Closed Account
#18

Con Logue said:
TV3 and it's wax faced women? Thank God I have the BBC.


in fairness you should probably thank the bbc not god

mike65 Closed Account
#19

RTE does God, not the Beeb!

1 person has thanked this post
WesternZulu Registered User
#20

snubbleste said:
Why can't we be as progressive in this country?


Yes that's what we should do, try and imitate Greece.

One of the few countries in the EU make Ireland look like some sort of economic Utopia when compared to the mess they are in!

Hedgemeister Closed Account
#21

Jeez, if they do away with OR TEE EEE, who'd lead the politicians by the nose / distract the people with 'talent' competitions.

goose2005 Registered User
#22

One of the reasons TV3 is so crap is that RTE distorts the market - it only needs to sell €500,000 of ads to make €1,000,000 worth of TV; TV3 has to sell €1,000,000 of ads to make €1,000,000 worth of TV.

But that said, public service broadcasting is a good idea - a pity we don't have it, beyond tg4

1 person has thanked this post
starviewadams Registered User
#23

If the RTE cash stops flowing,it might also be the final push that Grainne Seoige needs to enter the 'adult' industry!

3 people have thanked this post
Zeke Zzypt Banned
#24

IM0 said:
in fairness you should probably thank the bbc not god


It's certainly a God worthy miracle of positioning near Britain that we get the BBC so TV3 and its general frockdom and political posing isn't rammed down the nation's collective throat..

Corkfeen Closed Account
#25

To be fair there are benefits to having a state broadcaster in some guise. Saving money by shutting down a national tv network is relatively acceptable. But state radio is extremely beneficial in terms of getting general news but in particular during national emergencies for example. Greece is a country in political, social and economic strife due to this there is a distinct need to have national radio at the very least.

1 person has thanked this post
snubbleste Registered User
#26

Corkfeen said:
To be fair there are benefits to having a state broadcaster in some guise. Saving money by shutting down a national tv network is relatively acceptable. But state radio is extremely beneficial in terms of getting general news but in particular during national emergencies for example. Greece is a country in political, social and economic strife due to this there is a distinct need to have national radio at the very least.

Greece has 10m people and numerous non State controlled television and radio stations. It's a bit different to here.

Mr Whirly Closed Account
#27

Having a State Broadcaster is fairly important. Venezuela was almost overthrown by a military coup largely down to control over television.

I would agree with gigantic cuts to "entertainment" broadcasting but the news needs to be good/better.

Greece has some serious issues coming and if there's no one to tell the people what's happening it could get ugly even faster.

1 person has thanked this post
SV Closed Account
#28

The Backwards Man said:
And be left with what?
TV3?
Fcuk no!!


TV3 has better shows on in one day than RTE manages for a whole month!

1 person has thanked this post
keith16 Registered User
#29

Mr Whirly said:
Having a State Broadcaster is fairly important. Venezuela was almost overthrown by a military coup largely down to control over television.

I would agree with gigantic cuts to "entertainment" broadcasting but the news needs to be good/better.

Greece has some serious issues coming and if there's no one to tell the people what's happening it could get ugly even faster.


I just watched that documentary recently, for anyone who hasn't seen it, it is essential viewing.

3 people have thanked this post
Technoprisoner Registered User
#30

sell rte off and keep the national lottery...at least then money earned from the lotto could still go to good causes here in ireland and we might actually get a half decent tv service

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!