babymanval Registered User

Hi all,

Workplace policies/procedures/rules/directives from management etc. can often be ridiculous, counter-productively nonsensical at times. However I heard the most ridiculous one today. A friend of mine texted me at lunch to tell me about a farcical 30 minute meeting that she had to sit through:

She got an email requesting her to attend a meeting with her line manager this morning. It transpired that the purpose of this was to discuss any support that she may need for "any addictions that [she] might be suffering with"... The catalyst for this? Her manager had observed her taking three, rather than the recommended two tablets (for her Katie Taylor homecoming-inspired hangover). Furthermore, the manager observed that she had 2 packets of Solpadeine on her desk, "in full view". She came away from the meeting with some literature on addiction agencies, and a heartfelt reassurance that the management have a staunch policy of standing behind employees where they need support.

It got me to thinking; I've heard of some management requests/policies that would make you want to rip your hair out. They always put me in mind of the film "Office Space" (TPS reports etc). My experiences have been:

- A request that I wear black slacks, instead of the very (very, very, very) dark blue/navy ones I was wearing, in a telesales job, with zero contact with anyone, ever.
- The (quickly boycotted) organisation of separate male and female Xmas "parties", so "as not to encourage workplace romance/indiscretions leading to awkwardness/disruption in the team".

Anyone else?

3 people have thanked this post
MagicMarker Banned

My employer doesn't allow fisting.

17 people have thanked this post
The Amazing Spiderman Registered User

babymanval said:
Hi all,

Workplace policies/procedures/rules/directives from management etc. can often be ridiculous, counter-productively nonsensical at times. However I heard the most ridiculous one today. A friend of mine texted me at lunch to tell me about a farcical 30 minute meeting that she had to sit through:

She got an email requesting her to attend a meeting with her line manager this morning. It transpired that the purpose of this was to discuss any support that she may need for "any addictions that [she] might be suffering with"... The catalyst for this? Her manager had observed her taking three, rather than the recommended two tablets (for her Katie Taylor homecoming-inspired hangover). Furthermore, the manager observed that she had 2 packets of Solpadeine on her desk, "in full view". She came away from the meeting with some literature on addiction agencies, and a heartfelt reassurance that the management have a staunch policy of standing behind employees where they need support.

Anyone else?
Sure that sounds like a bit of an overreaction. But at least they mean well

11 people have thanked this post
Lyaiera Registered User

My employer prefers we only have a few drinks while working and keep the heavy drinking for when we've knocked off.

14 people have thanked this post
Millicent Registered User

So, your friend has a hangover on a workday, takes more than the prescribed dose of OTC medicine, and has two boxes of a highly addictive, tightly controlled and usually prescription-only codeine painkiller on her desk? I wonder why her boss might have thought she had difficulty with substance abuse problems.

28 people have thanked this post
Cassidy28 Registered User

It seems fairly okay to me.

1 person has thanked this post
marshbaboon Registered User

I was brought into a managers office & told I "wasn't friendly enough & needed to spend more time talking to co-workers".

mauzo Closed Account

marshbaboon said:
I was brought into a managers office & told I "wasn't friendly enough & needed to spend more time talking to co-workers".

I was told that too, so I started screwing half the staff

31 people have thanked this post
The_Dazzler Registered User

Millicent said:
So, your friend has a hangover on a workday, takes more than the prescribed dose of OTC medicine, and has two boxes of a highly addictive, tightly controlled and usually prescription-only codeine painkiller on her desk? I wonder why her boss might have thought she had difficulty with substance abuse problems.

What's this now?

14 people have thanked this post
some random drunk Registered User

In my ex-girlfriend's office they were only permitted to drink bottles of water at their desks (including carbonated, flavoured water). She had a bottle of 7up one day and was given out to and warned not do it again.

Where To Closed Account

I love my boss, he's the bestest boss in the world ever, very handsome also.

marshbaboon said:

syndeyfife said:

I got told I was talking too much to customers. In a retail job. Because I was making chit chat while scanning through shopping. How the fuck is that a bad thing?

6 people have thanked this post
1ZRed Closed Account

syndeyfife said:

Yeah like you needed a reason

7 people have thanked this post
Lyaiera Registered User

The_Dazzler said:
What's this now?

It's no longer over the counter. I think the pharmacists have a little leeway over handing it out though.

The_Dazzler said:
What's this now?

Solpadeine is ridiculously hard to get now. Same rules as that for Nurofen Plus cos of the codeine in it.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!