chainsawman Registered User

I like to warn all the waterford and outsiders not to believe the beggar who claimed he is a deaf mute, He is really not a deaf mute. He was arrested today outside Dunnes Stores. My Mate is deaf and is very angry of the way he fooled everyone that he is deaf mute, My mate , he can sign language to every deaf community in the world, He attend the World Deaf conference every two years , but every sign language is different from the irish sign Language. He tried to sign language to this beggar but he could not sign back in reply, Meaning he is not a deaf mute at all. He have been begging for years in Waterford, He usually begs at Dunnes Stores or Shaws with a poster saying "I am deaf mute , please help me".. The Gardai arrested him today outside Dunnes when my mate complained to the Gardai that the beggar is defrauding the public that he is a deaf mute.My Mate was up at the station, Gardai found out the beggar was not a deaf mute at all, dont know if he will be charged or not, So please watch out for this guy, dont let him fool you.. Deaf people of Waterford dont beg at all here, They never do, they working or some getting disability Allowance or social welfare. They are disgusted of the beggar pretending to be a deaf mute.

2 people have thanked this post
bradknowell Registered User

Its like a competition to see how many times you can type deaf mute into one paragraph lol.
Good to see that the fella got arrested.
Have a few cousins who are almost completely deaf, one of them is also going blind poor fella.

5 people have thanked this post

bradknowell said:
Its like a competition to see how many times you can type deaf mute into one paragraph lol.
Good to see that the fella got arrested.
Have a few cousins who are almost completely deaf, one of them is also going blind poor fella.

Interesting, I used to be a friend of a deaf man who used to be a tailor at Shaws years ago, He turned blind when he was in his fifties, heartbreaking to see him like that, deaf and blind. Communication with him was very very hard, He died a good few years ago in Dublin home for the Deaf and blind.

Finnbar01 Registered User

The best way to catch him out is say: Is that your tenner on the ground there? Without pointing, betcha he'll hear you then.

7 people have thanked this post
Hoffmans Registered User

so your "friend"spoke to him in irish sign language, what if he only knows english sign language, yer man ratted on him for nothing.

chainsawman said:
Interesting, I used to be a friend of a deaf man who used to be a tailor at Shaws years ago, He turned blind when he was in his fifties, heartbreaking to see him like that, deaf and blind. Communication with him was very very hard, He died a good few years ago in Dublin home for the Deaf and blind.

Must be awfully scary. Cousin is 24 or 25 now and the eyesight is getting worse and worse, he knows eventually it will be gone fully. Poor chap.

Hoffmans said:
so your "friend"spoke to him in irish sign language, what if he only knows english sign language, yer man ratted on him for nothing.

He also knows English Sign Languages and several International Sign Languages, Gardai found out today that he can speak at the station when questioned. My mate is right to ratted him becasue he was getting money from people thinking he is a deaf mute. I saw him once at the quay walking with his child , talking to the child few months ago... Honest Truth.

1 person has thanked this post

bradknowell said:
Must be awfully scary. Cousin is 24 or 25 now and the eyesight is getting worse and worse, he knows eventually it will be gone fully. Poor chap.

Is he profoundly Deaf ? Could be tough life ahead for him if he is. There is a place that will help him (maybe he done it before) Deaf/Hear.ie at Parnell st/Catherine St next door to FAS office.. Hope he wont go blind completely.

the_syco Registered User

chainsawman said:
Is he profoundly Deaf ? Could be tough life ahead for him if he is. There is a place that will help him (maybe he done it before) Deaf/Hear.ie at Parnell st/Catherine St next door to FAS office.. Hope he wont go blind completely.

Totally off topic but... it's off-topic for a good cause.

deafhear.ie is the site.
Contact details;
[quote="DeafHear.ie Waterford
2nd Floor, St Johns Parish Hall, Catherine St, Waterford..
Tel: 051 855777
Fax: 051 852132
Email: "]DeafHear.ie Waterford
2nd Floor, St Johns Parish Hall, Catherine St, Waterford..
Tel: 051 855777
Fax: 051 852132
Email: waterford@deafhear.ie
Hope they can help him enjoy life a bit better.

A bionic eye cost about €100,000 for the equipment and €15,000 for the (Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System) operation, but hopefully prices come down in the next while.

If he's totally deaf in both ears, maybe he should look into getting a cochlear implant. More info here. Dept of Health covers the cost of the op.

membersonly Registered User

chainsawman said:
I like to warn all the waterford and outsiders not to believe the beggar who claimed he is a deaf mute, He is really not a deaf mute. He was arrested today outside Dunnes Stores. My Mate is deaf and is very angry of the way he fooled everyone that he is deaf mute, My mate , he can sign language to every deaf community in the world, He attend the World Deaf conference every two years , but every sign language is different from the irish sign Language. He tried to sign language to this beggar but he could not sign back in reply, Meaning he is not a deaf mute at all. He have been begging for years in Waterford, He usually begs at Dunnes Stores or Shaws with a poster saying "I am deaf mute , please help me".. The Gardai arrested him today outside Dunnes when my mate complained to the Gardai that the beggar is defrauding the public that he is a deaf mute.My Mate was up at the station, Gardai found out the beggar was not a deaf mute at all, dont know if he will be charged or not, So please watch out for this guy, dont let him fool you.. Deaf people of Waterford dont beg at all here, They never do, they working or some getting disability Allowance or social welfare. They are disgusted of the beggar pretending to be a deaf mute.

So he was claiming to be deaf mute was it?

5 people have thanked this post

membersonly said:
So he was claiming to be deaf mute was it?

Yeah.... Two Gardai tried to talk to him with a deaf man signing as well but the beggar wouldn't look at their faces, Just looking down coldly holding the cardboard claimng he is a deaf mute. So the Gardai was getting pissed off when he stood up folding his chair about to sneak off without looking at them, Gardai pulled him in the car adn asked my mate to go to the station. Found out that he was just play acting as a deaf mute.

anplaya Closed Account

ah sure theres a lad in a wheelchair whos always at the back of dunnes stores, low and behold when hes not begging hes always walking around the town.sure its a waste of time complaining,the guards will arrest them and theyll be back to it the next day. tis all about the money.that 'deaf mute' lad has been around in waterford for years sure

chainsawman said:

Aye he's fair bad. Went to school up in Dublin, school for the deaf I presume. Its some genetic thing, not sure what its called so I dont think there is really anything that can be done for him.

TheGormog Registered User

I've seen that chap down in High Street on the mobile phone. Definitely a scam artist, shame on him.

I've also seen a wheelchair bound gentleman walk from the Friary towards Kite Studios and proceed to piss in through the gate of the old graveyard.

A miracle it most certainly was not.

johndoe99 Registered User

knew he was not deaf; about a year back, i saw him sitting outside Pennys. I was having a smoke outside. A window dresser was fitting a mannequin and she dropped one of the arms and he turned immediately to look behind him.

Glad he's finally been arrested. But he'll probably pop up in Wexford next.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!