Scioch Closed Account

I got a cheque from "State Savings" the other day, reckons I won some money. Looked like the real deal and all and the numbers even matched my actual prize bonds. How they knew I had those is anyone's guess.

Didnt fool me though, no sir. Ripped that bitch up and binned it right away. You'd want to get up pretty early in the morning to put one over on old smeggers.

BrownFinger Registered User

i got one about 5mins after looking at the thread!

PogMoThoin Closed Account

Donedeal? Has anyone got one of these texts and not had an ad on donedeal?

Captain Morgan Registered User

PogMoThoin said:
Donedeal? Has anyone got one of these texts and not had an ad on donedeal?

Yeah I've got about 5/6 different ones in the last couple of weeks. Never had an ad on Done Deal.

The mother-in-law also got one and she wouldn't have put her number anywhere online.

oppenheimer1 Registered User

I'm going to put this out there and say that there is perhaps a rogue app for a smartphone thats downloading peoples contacts?

That would be my reasonable guess as to where the numbers are coming from.

Jester252 Registered User

My sister is a millionaire now

Thanos Registered User

oppenheimer1 said:
I'm going to put this out there and say that there is perhaps a rogue app for a smartphone thats downloading peoples contacts?

Not sure it is this, I do not have a smart phone (4 year old Nokia) and I got 2 yesterday....?!?!

was wondering if it was some sort of random dialer macine that just goes through all the numbers until it gets a hit, then send the message?

kart Closed Account

Thanos said:
Not sure it is this, I do not have a smart phone (4 year old Nokia) and I got 2 yesterday....?!?!

was wondering if it was some sort of random dialer macine that just goes through all the numbers until it gets a hit, then send the message?

I havent gotten any of these txts, and yet, my number is very public and out there everywhere. At least one of them anyway.

I recon thats what it is. It is TOTALLY random, but once you get one txt ur number is listed as a number in use and then they all keep sending you. The first message you get is totally random. They dont need to go through any donedeal ads or anything. It is easy to come up with random numbers one u know they all start with 085, 086, 087, 089 and so on. U just make up 7 numbers after that, chances are they hit home every now and then and if the txt goes through u keep a list of these numbers and keep sending to same ones plus list is growing every day.

Going through any ads or trying to "find" numbers in internet would be too much hassle for them.

humbert Registered User

oppenheimer1 said:

Thanos said:

Not impossible. Your number could be in someone else's contacts.

1 person has thanked this post
validusername1 Registered User

Yeah, I got one about 2 weeks ago from an American number saying ''CONGRATULATIONS! You are Ireland's WINNER OF THE DAY! Go to http://www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com to claim your prize. Must claim within 24 hours.''

Then I got another text from an English number yesterday saying ''CONGRATS! YOUR MOBILE NUMBER HAS WON $2,000,000 USD IN THE FREELOTTO MOBILE PROMO. FOR CLAIMS SEND MAIL WITH NAME TO claimsfunds@live.co.uk & CALL +447045750703.''

Wouldn't mind but you'd think they'd pick a more realistic amount rather than 2 million dollars, and their e-mail address is a hotmail address, what sort of lotto company has a hotmail address? Haha, I really wonder if anybody is dumb enough to fall for these things. I don't know where they'd have gotten my number.

Alice1 Registered User

Yep, got one yesterday - the BBC one. Janey, it was a bit obvious like - even my daughter said "you couldn't have won, Mummy cos you didn't enter any draw"

bewhiched Registered User

Yeah got one this evening

caitmb Registered User

Judging by all the replies on here I wouldn't want to have the scammers phone bills!! I got 2 txts ,one telling me I won £1,000,000 and the other $2,000,000. Both from english numbers. Someone has to fall for this ****e or it wouldn't be worth their while surely? Ask Joe probably has a special lined up on this one....

Baneblade Registered User

got the free lotto one yesterday (uk mobile) and a microsoft uk promo one this morning (USA, dallas) and one from the "free lotto uk" last week (uk mobile)

derb12 Registered User

I had never received anything like this on my phone but I got 2 of them in the last 3 days.
Very careful with my number usually, I only ever give it where there is a genuine possibility that it'll be needed - like for Tesco online shopping if they can't find my house. Or Aerlingus or Ryanair - I've probably given it to them as well. I always just put in random numbers otherwise.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!