Teerah Registered User

Could I have a little help with the pronunciation of this pretty name. I know it has been covered before but I am not entirely clear on it.

Is it AY-va with ay as in say/day

Or is it AVE-ah with the ave as in gave/rave

Many thanks if you can help

Tara

byhookorbycrook Moderator

Ay va

Teerah Registered User

Thankyou!

PurpleFistMixer Registered User

Wait, what's the difference between those two? The "a" in gave/rave is the same "a" as in say/day... o.O

3 people have thanked this post
Teerah Registered User

It wasnt the "a" sound I was asking about, it was the whole of the first syllable I meant, ie, was it an "ay" sound or an "ave" sound as broken down in the first post

An gal gréine Registered User

AY-AH-VA

1 person has thanked this post
Aard Registered User

AY-va = AVE-ah

I mean, right? Also, IPA should be a requirement for all future pronunciation threads! (I'm only half-joking.)

Teerah Registered User

Not in my accent they arent

PS what is IPA?

Aard Registered User

IPA is the International Phonetic Alphabet. It gets around the issue of different people having different accents, and the fact that often in English the same letter can have multiple realisations (as such, using English spelling as an approximation of pronunciation invariably leads to confusion).

P. Breathnach Registered User

Aard said:
... using English spelling as an approximation of pronunciation invariably leads to confusion.

Whereas, for Irish, spelling and pronunciation actually work very well together. If you read a word that you have never heard, you should be able to pronounce it reasonably correctly in your particular dialect.

Not that it's much help to OP, but the perfect answer to the question of how Éabha should be pronounced is "as it's written (provided that you are speaking Irish)".

Teerah Registered User

Thanks for the explanation Aard and for everyones input.

Aard Registered User

P. Breathnach said:
Whereas, for Irish, spelling and pronunciation actually work very well together. If you read a word that you have never heard, you should be able to pronounce it reasonably correctly in your particular dialect.

Yep! I've always found that to be true. It works the other way too; if somebody tells you a word, it shouldn't be difficult to spell it. Irish spelling is almost completely regular.

If it's Irish pronunciation then Éabha is similar to Fionnuala...
Fionn-u-a-la
or in English
Finn-oo-la

Cailleachdubh Registered User

Ok, how is Éabha like Fionnuala exactly? They have nothing in common pronounciation wise!!

In English, for some reason, people dont pronounce the underlined below.

Éabha
Fionnuala
Caitríona

In Irish it's there to be pronounced.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!