godtabh Moderator

I was just reading an article about privatisation of the UK rail network. Essentially Network Rail looks after the physical rail network and train companies pay a fee for the use of the rail.

It doesn't work like that here.

So who looks after the actual track inspections and other safety concerns for the physical rail network? Is it all down to IR?

Losty Dublin Registered User

Basically, the work is done either with Irish Rail's own team of track workers for general checks and remedial work or via sub contractors, both for specific projects such as the reopening of lines and general track work on an ongoing basis. Irish Rail also have to maintain bridges, tunnels, station and loco buildings and offices so not all the work is rail related.

The network itself and it's safe operation is overseen by the Railway Safety Commission (RSC) while accidents on the railways are investigated by the Railway Accident Investigation Unit (RAIU); LUAS, RPSI and other railway operations are covered by both bodies as well.

2 people have thanked this post
JeffK88 Registered User

This group do alot of the networks inspections and other maintenance of the network
http://www.lloydrail.ie/

Its a private company and according to their website they provide the personal for the track mounted inspection vehicles not sure if they own the vehicles themselves.

dowlingm Registered User

Separation of infrastructure from operations is likely when the derogation from the EU Railways directives runs out in 2013, and it has been announced that no extension will be sought to this on either side of the border. Interesting times ahead...

godtabh Moderator

what is the role of the RSC?

godtabh said:
what is the role of the RSC?

They are the state authority who oversee all rail operations. They licence operators, they have powers to nnspect and impose standards on track and infrastructure, they assess safety cases and practices, they may also set the relevant staffing standards and skills etc on behalf of the state.

1 person has thanked this post
CaptainFreedom Registered User

JeffK88 said:
This group do alot of the networks inspections and other maintenance of the network

Its a private company and according to their website they provide the personal for the track mounted inspection vehicles not sure if they own the vehicles themselves.

There was a thread on IRN about them losing the contract to Balfour Beatty in the UK

CaptainFreedom said:
There was a thread on IRN about them losing the contract to Balfour Beatty in the UK

It's gone to the courts so it may be tendered again depending on the outcome of the case.

Hilly Bill Registered User

JeffK88 said:

They work the on-track machines like the tampers. They also have Welders.

They dont own the machines.

CaptainSkidmark Registered User

I actually got a Letter from them last month saything they were very interested in my CV and would kep me in mind for future recruitment, Hope to god they are recruiting soon

Hilly Bill Registered User

Lloyd Rail? I cant see them taking anyone on for a while yet.

foggy_lad Registered User

Hilly Bill said:

Another closed shop like Irish Rail?

Victor Registered User

foggy_lad said:
Another closed shop like Irish Rail?
Read the thread, the contract is up for renewal.

2 people have thanked this post
CaptainSkidmark Registered User

Hilly Bill said:

Yeah lloyd rail, I cant either honestly.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!