cleverclogs84 Registered User
#1

Hi Guys

I'm an archaeology student with UCD and am currently researching Kilkea Castle for a paper I am writing on it. I also need to get up to view the castle, take pictures for my paper as has been requested by my professor but finding the right people to contact let alone getting permission is proving to be quite tough.

Can anyone advise, right now in this current time of KilKea castle is open for public viewing or are all gates locked and closed? Is there a local caretaker that I could contact maybe for permission to view the castle itself, if so, would anyone have the name and number?

I would also like to implore local historians of the area and Kilkea castle if they could advise any good books, records, documents I should look up as research as part of my paper as this is also proving difficult. There is practically nothing in UCD library and even less on line. What I have found on line is not structured, most of which has different dates, names and so on, which is of no help to me.

Thanks in advance for all help, it's very much appreciated

Starla_o0 Registered User
#2

I can't help you with any of that but take a look at the thread below regards access etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76451517

itchy elbows Registered User
#3

Hey. The castle is now closed along with the golf club and under nama. Gates are closed to.drive in but ud say u can walk up. I'd contact athy heritage centre as they have loads of info and old pics on the place. Also on Shackleton who was born near the castle. I'll timeout about caretaker and a number if possible for u later.

itchy elbows Registered User
#4

itchy elbows said:
Hey. The castle is now closed along with the golf club and under nama. Gates are closed to.drive in but ud say u can walk up. I'd contact athy heritage centre as they have loads of info and old pics on the place. Also on Shackleton who was born near the castle. I'll timeout about caretaker and a number if possible for u later.
nope no one.looking after the place at all big gate small wall lol

Rabidlamb Banned
#5

As far as the grounds go there are people there every day walking dogs.
There's a gate next to Kilkea village that has a 3 foot wall around it.
Seems to be the popular entrance.

itchy elbows Registered User
#6

Rabidlamb said:
As far as the grounds go there are people there every day walking dogs.
There's a gate next to Kilkea village that has a 3 foot wall around it.
Seems to be the popular entrance.

Is that the local star of the film the lamb of god

1 person has thanked this post
lucylu Registered User
#7

St Laurence O' Toole was born near the castle also.
Mullaghreelan wood is part of the old grounds of Kilkea Castle. An ancient rath sits on top of the hill and is associated with the kings of Leinster in ancient Irish manuscripts.

There is also a story of a headless horseman on the prowl.

Castledermot Historical Society may also be able to help. they are on the facebuke

cleverclogs84 Registered User
#8

Thanks every one so much for replying, I will contact Athy Heritage Centre and some names and books have been given also, if I pass this assignment it is thanks to you all ha. I'm going to head up there next wk and hopefully get up to it, fingers crossed.

itchy elbows Registered User
#9

cleverclogs84 said:
Thanks every one so much for replying, I will contact Athy Heritage Centre and some names and books have been given also, if I pass this assignment it is thanks to you all ha. I'm going to head up there next wk and hopefully get up to it, fingers crossed.


No hassle.

Palimpsest Registered User
#10

Anyone know if it is true?

itchy elbows Registered User
#11

Palimpsest said:
Anyone know if it is true?


Is what true

Rabidlamb Banned
#12

Palimpsest said:
Anyone know if it is true?


All I'll say is that I didn't buy it.

itchy elbows Registered User
#13

cleverclogs84 said:
Hi Guys

I'm an archaeology student with UCD and am currently researching Kilkea Castle for a paper I am writing on it. I also need to get up to view the castle, take pictures for my paper as has been requested by my professor but finding the right people to contact let alone getting permission is proving to be quite tough.

Can anyone advise, right now in this current time of KilKea castle is open for public viewing or are all gates locked and closed? Is there a local caretaker that I could contact maybe for permission to view the castle itself, if so, would anyone have the name and number?

I would also like to implore local historians of the area and Kilkea castle if they could advise any good books, records, documents I should look up as research as part of my paper as this is also proving difficult. There is practically nothing in UCD library and even less on line. What I have found on line is not structured, most of which has different dates, names and so on, which is of no help to me.

Thanks in advance for all help, it's very much appreciated


Well how did you get on with the paper

Rabidlamb Banned
#14

Palimpsest said:
Anyone know if it is true?


I spoke with a local insider mole yesterday, I was told there was a verbal agreement between a recognized hotel chain & the receiver.
Sale was due to go through last January but there's been a hold up due to retention planning permission on part of the clubhouse.
Hopefully will be sorted soon.

1 person has thanked this post
kevgill Registered User
#15

cleverclogs84 said:
Hi Guys

I'm an archaeology student with UCD and am currently researching Kilkea Castle for a paper I am writing on it. I also need to get up to view the castle, take pictures for my paper as has been requested by my professor but finding the right people to contact let alone getting permission is proving to be quite tough.

Can anyone advise, right now in this current time of KilKea castle is open for public viewing or are all gates locked and closed? Is there a local caretaker that I could contact maybe for permission to view the castle itself, if so, would anyone have the name and number?

I would also like to implore local historians of the area and Kilkea castle if they could advise any good books, records, documents I should look up as research as part of my paper as this is also proving difficult. There is practically nothing in UCD library and even less on line. What I have found on line is not structured, most of which has different dates, names and so on, which is of no help to me.

Thanks in advance for all help, it's very much appreciated


I dony know if its too late but Lord Walter Fitzgerald wrote a concise description of Kilkea Castle and its inhabitants (his family) in JKAS. Journal of Kildare Archaeological Society in 1894. details are Vol II pp.4-32. (not too sure if right vol) but all libraries should have access to cd made by Kildare Historical Society which all the info you need will be on just type in Kilkea Castle 1894
I am doing project on Lord Walter and his prolific writings for Kildare Historical Society. His article on the castle begins pre Anglo-Norman invasion, the origins of thr place name, the first building by de Riddlesford and all the historic periods of Ireland. Also has prints of castle in different stages of decay and restoration in early 19th century.

Hope this is of help if not do not hesitate to contact me.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!