jmc19 Registered User

Hi, I bought a LED TV from Currys 4 weeks ago and last night a green line has appeared down the full length of the screen. I googled this issue and it seems to be a very common problem.

As the TV is only 4 weeks old can I get a different TV up to the value of the one I have as a replacement?

Currys PC World: Declan Closed Account

jmc19 said:
Hi, I bought a LED TV from Currys 4 weeks ago and last night a green line has appeared down the full length of the screen. I googled this issue and it seems to be a very common problem.

As the TV is only 4 weeks old can I get a different TV up to the value of the one I have as a replacement?

That is a pity to hear. What we can do is come to your home, pick up the TV and get it shipped to our repair centre and fixed. Most of the guys who come to collect TV's are qualified TV engineers so it's not to say that they won't be able to diagnose the problem and fix. Howveer, if it needfs any parts then it goes off for repair.

I'd love to be able to do replacement TV's as that would be a brilliant service. However, we alone fix 10,00 TV's a year and it wouldn't be practical to incur the cost of that ( unless everyone wanted to pay a lot more for their tV's ). If you book a call through 1890 400 001 and follow the in warranty repair option the team will get on the case.

jmc19 Registered User

Currys & PC World: Declan;76942311
That is a pity to hear. What we can do is come to your home, pick up the TV and get it shipped to our repair centre and fixed. Most of the guys who come to collect TV's are qualified TV engineers so it's not to say that they won't be able to diagnose the problem and fix. Howveer, if it needfs any parts then it goes off for repair.

To be honest with you I don't want a repaired TV and I've heard and read enough bad stories when it comes to repair turn around times with yourselves.

Fair enough if I had the TV for more than 6 months but I've only had it "4 weeks" and under the Sales of Goods act 1980 I'm well within my rights to ask for a replacement as clearly this TV is not fit for purpose.

Owyhee Registered User

jmc19 said:
To be honest with you I don't want a repaired TV and I've heard and read enough bad stories when it comes to repair turn around times with yourselves.

Fair enough if I had the TV for more than 6 months but I've only had it "4 weeks" and under the Sales of Goods act 1980 I'm well within my rights to ask for a replacement as clearly this TV is not fit for purpose.

If your purchase date is 28 days ago or less; you are also entitled to a full cash refund.

Beaver1 Registered User

Currys & PC World: Declan;76942311

I'd love to be able to do replacement TV's as that would be a brilliant service. However, we alone fix 10,00 TV's a year and it wouldn't be practical to incur the cost of that ( unless everyone wanted to pay a lot more for their tV's ). If you book a call through 1890 400 001 and follow the in warranty repair option the team will get on the case.

serious, 4 weeks old and you want him to send it back for repair, BUYERS BEWARE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE

1 person has thanked this post
User Friendly Closed Account

Beaver1 said:
serious, 4 weeks old and you want him to send it back for repair, BUYERS BEWARE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE

Buyers beware of .....? currys? led tvs?

I bought a 46" samsung,not from currys a while back,similar to The ops complaint, a couple of lines appeared on the screen,the crowd took it away and fixed it........ never had an issue with it since,thats 2 years ago now. but i bought the 5 year warranty also at the time as i paid around 1,800 for the tv,it would be an expensive fix if anything went wrong with it.

theteal Registered User

Owyhee said:
If your purchase date is 28 days ago or less; you are also entitled to a full cash refund.

do currys have a policy stating such? this is certainly not a default consumer right

tanoone Registered User

If it has failed before 21 days yes you can get a full refund .Was in there yesterday and saw it written. If you leave it you wont be able to prove it the date and they wont take your word for it . You will not get a replacement. They will send it away for repair and you will have a long fight if you want your money back for being sold a faulty good. Sale of goods act 1980 holds no sway with this crowd They made up the 21 day rule themselves ,It's not "the law" .

jmc19 Registered User

Beaver1 said:
serious, 4 weeks old and you want him to send it back for repair

Exactly, I'm well within my rights to ask for a replacement or even a refund according to the NCA, considering this TV has only lasted 4 weeks, a few hours use during the evenings and it's knackered

I'll head into the store and see what the manager says, no joy with that then I will take the matter further as advise by the NCA.

Owyhee Registered User

theteal said:
do currys have a policy stating such? this is certainly not a default consumer right

I did not say it was the law...I said a right, and I wrongly believed that they had this listed in their T&C's of sale (which is your right).
Most main sellers allow for 28 days to offer a full refund on faulty goods.
Curry's and PC World have reduced this common consumer courtesy standing by 25% at the consumers expense to only 21 days.

MD : Is it really necessary, are there that many more products failing in the fourth week, that you have this reduced version of a traditional Irish store policy, surly you are not reselling B grade products and you should be able to stand square behind all of your sales. Come-on bring your refunds policy in line with your competition, and as a gesture of good will start here and offer to refund this guy his dough if he is on the 28 day mark and if he wants.....

BTW are you going to reply to my last post in the other thread, you seem to have ignored it the last two days you were online...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056511041

jmc19 said:

I don't think I've ever come across a thread regarding repair turnaround times on TV's tbh. We've got a pretty efficient service that customers appear to be happy with.

As I said above I'd love to be able to offer a replacement TV service for products that show a fault, be it after 4 weeks or 6 or 10. But the TV business doesn't work like that. You'll find with all suppliers and retailers that products will go into the repair process within a short period. If your TV has a very significant fault then it will of course be replaced quite quickly but, outside of that, repair is necessary.

I don't know what advice you are getting from the NCA call centre but which of the 3 R's are followed in the event of product fault is the retailer's call to make. Were we to replace all TV's that developed a fault within a relatively short time of purchase we would end up with a lot of ex repair TV's to sell. And the cost of that would have to be paid for , leading to increased purchase costs of new TV's. And people don't seem to want that, hence why the process is as it is.

We are not under any obligation to offer a 21 day refund policy but choose to do so. There is no right to this as such.

Owyhee said:
I did not say it was the law...I said a right, and I wrongly believed that they had this listed in their T&C's of sale (which is your right).
Most main sellers allow for 28 days to offer a full refund on faulty goods.
Curry's and PC World have reduced this common consumer courtesy standing by 25% at the consumers expense to only 21 days.

MD : Is it really necessary, are there that many more products failing in the fourth week, that you have this reduced version of a traditional Irish store policy, surly you are not reselling B grade products and you should be able to stand square behind all of your sales. Come-on bring your refunds policy in line with your competition, and as a gesture of good will start here and offer to refund this guy his dough if he is on the 28 day mark and if he wants.....

BTW are you going to reply to my last post in the other thread, you seem to have ignored it the last two days you were online...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056511041

Re your other post on the other thread, I think that discussion has run its course. That's why I haven't replied.

Owyhee Registered User

Currys & PC World: Declan;76956509

We are not under any obligation to offer a 21 day refund policy but choose to do so. There is no right to this as such.

Terms and Conditions - For all products should the fault occur within 21 days from the date of delivery you have the option of a refund or an exchange.

So are after a customer accepts the T&C‘s which DGS obliges them in order to make a purchase, the T&C’s are only consider by DSG as a customer’s right should DSG choose to honour them?

MagicMarker Banned

Owyhee said:
Terms and Conditions - For all products should the fault occur within 21 days from the date of delivery you have the option of a refund or an exchange.

So are after a customer accepts the T&C‘s which DGS obliges them in order to make a purchase, the T&C’s are only consider by DSG as a customer’s right should DSG choose to honour them?

You need to read his post again, he said they are under no obligation to offer a refund within 21 days but do so anyway.

It's a moot point anyway as this doesn't apply to the OP.

The right exists insofar as we offer this to a customer. It does not exist under consumer law.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!