Boxfresh Registered User
#1

I have posted this over in another forum, but I'd like to post it here for some feedback on this issue.

I placed an ad on Adverts.ie a few weeks ago for an iPhone I was selling. Within a few hours I had a few private messages from a guy interested in buying it and we agreed on a price of €350. He insisted on sending it by registered post and wanted it sent to his Son in Dublin for his Birthday 2 days later.

The next morning I had €350 in my Paypal account so I went to the post office and sent the phone with registered post just like he told me too. Soon after I sent the phone Adverts.ie have emailed me saying to avoid all contact with this man and that he has a few banned accounts on Adverts.ie and is a known fraudster. After finding this out I immediately transferred the money into my bank account.

Later on that evening, I received an email from Paypal saying that the guy did a credit card reversal and my account was -€350 in negative balance.

A case was then opened by Paypal and my account was on hold until they investigated the matter. I told them all the details and told them that the guy was now banned from Adverts.ie.

I sent them a picture of the tracking number receipt from AnPost and I also sent them the guys signature showing proof of delivery.

This morning, Paypal have ended giving this con man his credit card reversal of €350. I rang Paypal and asked why they did this because I had proof of delivery and they said I wasn't covered by their Seller Protection because I sent the phone to an address that wasn't linked to his Paypal account.

I am now down an iPhone and -€350.

Anyone here in this situation before or have any advice for me would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I have since been to the Guards and I have given them all the info about this con man and are going to look into it for me.

Steve Life is hard, deal with it.
#2

Oh dear, sorry to hear that.

I hope the guards can do something for you - it really doesn't say much for paypal if he can get away with that.

partyatmygaff Registered User
#3

Seems like a pretty clear cut case of fraud. If Paypal can't help you i'm sure the Gardaí can. There's evidence of him organising a deal with you, receiving the phone and reversing the credit card payment. You also have his address. I don't think he'll be getting away with it.

Boxfresh Registered User
#4

Paypal don't want anything to do with it. It's pretty much case closed with them. Just because I didn't send it to this guys verified Paypal address they are not covering me. They didn't even give me a reason as to why the guy did a reverse charge.

Paypal's seller protection is an absolute joke.

I have been buying and selling online for years now and saw plenty of dodgy carry on but this is the first time I have been stung and I will not let this one lie.

Steve Life is hard, deal with it.
#5

Just wondering, did they say if there a way you could have verified his address with paypal before shipping?

bfocusd Closed Account
#6

Do you know any codes off the phone? The network can block them if you have them.. Like the imei code, just an idea to get something off him, or maybe the guards can trace it? My phone has GPS and can be traced if the sim is switched too.. Otherwise work with th guards and hope they catch him.

freeze4real Registered User
#7

Can ou not go to to the post office to get the mail back,

if it was sent to the wrong address and it was signed for the person who signed it back has 6weeks/6months to return it back as it was unsolicited mail, this deemed fraudulent.


And i wouldn't pay PayPal a cent although as you didnt send it to the right address they have a case against you.

spix Registered User
#8

surely if you show paypal the messages he sent you where he requested it be sent to a different address its clear what hes up to.

1 person has thanked this post
Boxfresh Registered User
#9

Steve said:
Just wondering, did they say if there a way you could have verified his address with paypal before shipping?


Everyone has a confirmed address linked to their Paypal account but I sent it to "his Son" in Dublin which is the reason I am not covered by their seller protection.

bfocusd said:
Do you know any codes off the phone? The network can block them if you have them.. Like the imei code, just an idea to get something off him, or maybe the guards can trace it? My phone has GPS and can be traced if the sim is switched too.. Otherwise work with th guards and hope they catch him.


I think I might have it registered with Vodafone. I'll have a look into that.

freeze4real said:
Can ou not go to to the post office to get the mail back,

if it was sent to the wrong address and it was signed for the person who signed it back has 6weeks/6months to return it back as it was unsolicited mail, this deemed fraudulent.


I'll let the Guards deal with that part.

Cynortas Registered User
#10

im sorry but seriously u sent it by post are you stupid you hear of these cons day in and out no way id of sent a 350e fone by post to a stranger

1 person has thanked this post
freeze4real Registered User
#11

tnynll said:
im sorry but seriously u sent it by post are you stupid you hear of these cons day in and out no way id of sent a 350e fone by post to a stranger



what a foolish thing to say. it happens to anyone and you could be next.

and with paypal one think he's safe.

I would have made this mistake myself.

7 people have thanked this post
Boxfresh Registered User
#12

tnynll said:
im sorry but seriously u sent it by post are you stupid you hear of these cons day in and out no way id of sent a 350e fone by post to a stranger


Tens of thousands of people send valuable packages by An Post every year. I have sent dozens of valuable items to strangers without any problems before all beacuse I thought I was covered by Paypal.

3 people have thanked this post
Cynortas Registered User
#13

no im sorry if you think pay pals safe enuf to deal with complete strangers

1 person has thanked this post
Cynortas Registered User
#14

Boxfresh said:
Tens of thousands of people send valuable packages by An Post every year. I have sent dozens of valuable items to strangers without any problems before all beacuse I thought I was covered by Paypal.

im not being rude but you should of known better its an expensive mistake to make

Steve Life is hard, deal with it.
#15

tnynll said:
no im sorry if you think pay pals safe enuf to deal with complete strangers on your a mug


tnynll said:
im not being rude but you should of known better its an expensive mistake to make

Yeah, we've established that that the OP got conned, if you have something useful to post then please do so - otherwise keep your remarks to yourself.

12 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!