corkcounty Registered User
#1

Need advice.

I bought a 407 end of last august (3 month warranty) From day 1 the car wasnt right. It came with a bald tyre, no air/con or heating.

took 2.5 months to get the heating fixed and in the process they broke the horn and seatbelt pre-tensioner/air bag faulty came up after i got the car back(still not fixed)

DPF kept coming up on the dash, Regeneration cycle urgent, or DPF faulty, which i never heard of before and rang the garage, they said it wasnt a major problem was from driving slow, at this point i was on the n25 to waterford and not in slow traffic. so i left it off, kept coming up so told them again and they said the same to drive it on.(depollution fault).

Another sensor went and they fixed it.

Fan was staying on for 15 mins and deadening the battery.

There was soot all over the engine near the turbo, they fixed it or cleaned it.

Now to recently.. car was blowing blue/white smoke and lost revv's . wouldnt start. 2 weeks out of warranty i am

Car in garage 6 days was told today the turbo was gone. They told me when i bought the car in late august that the turbo was replaced not too long ago. 2 grand to fix it!!!

does anyone know if the blocked dpf filter in the exhaust can cause the turbo to break? do i have any comeback with all the faults that are on going? and the breakages they did.?

my reckoning is if they told me not to worry about the anti pollution fault then the turbo breaking should be covered by them? because if i knew about the dpf filter i might have avoided the situation that i am in now.

i cant afford 2k..

Any advice please

George Dalton Registered User
#2

A partially blocked DPF can certainly lead to premature turbo failure, but on these 1.6 HDI engines there are other potential causes as well that should be checked and if necessary remedied to avoid a repeat failure.

€2k is outrageous money for the job. Should be possible to get it done properly for about half that. Beware of anyone doing it very cheaply as they may not be taking the correct precautions to minimise the chance of another failure.

1 person has thanked this post
racso1975 Registered User
#3

Guy on here called row knows everything about these cars. turbo went on my 407 about 6 to8 weekday ago and i got out of it 1100 was still nasty but slightly better then 2g. There wad no dpf prob prior on mine

Nforce Registered User
#4

corkcounty said:
Need advice.

I bought a 407 end of last august (3 month warranty) From day 1 the car wasnt right. It came with a bald tyre, no air/con or heating.

took 2.5 months to get the heating fixed and in the process they broke the horn and seatbelt pre-tensioner/air bag faulty came up after i got the car back(still not fixed)

DPF kept coming up on the dash, Regeneration cycle urgent, or DPF faulty, which i never heard of before and rang the garage, they said it wasnt a major problem was from driving slow, at this point i was on the n25 to waterford and not in slow traffic. so i left it off, kept coming up so told them again and they said the same to drive it on.(depollution fault).

Another sensor went and they fixed it.

Fan was staying on for 15 mins and deadening the battery.

There was soot all over the engine near the turbo, they fixed it or cleaned it.

Now to recently.. car was blowing blue/white smoke and lost revv's . wouldnt start. 2 weeks out of warranty i am

Car in garage 6 days was told today the turbo was gone. They told me when i bought the car in late august that the turbo was replaced not too long ago. 2 grand to fix it!!!

does anyone know if the blocked dpf filter in the exhaust can cause the turbo to break? do i have any comeback with all the faults that are on going? and the breakages they did.?

my reckoning is if they told me not to worry about the anti pollution fault then the turbo breaking should be covered by them? because if i knew about the dpf filter i might have avoided the situation that i am in now.

i cant afford 2k..

Any advice please


New,recon or second hand? Maybe it still has some warranty?

rugbyman Registered User
#5

re blown turbo, i have a friend who can supply you with a re manufactured turbo for about six hundred euro. You will need a competent mechanic to fit it, as the process involves a lot of cleaning up after the blown one. a very early oil change will be needed, the turbos have 1 year warranty IF FITTED PROPERLY.

I have heard him say that your turbo is one of the most needed on the market as it is fitted to quite a lot of cars.

PM me if you want more info

Rugbyman

MrFrisp Registered User
#6

rugbyman said:
re blown turbo, i have a friend who can supply you with a re manufactured turbo for about six hundred euro. You will need a competent mechanic to fit it, as the process involves a lot of cleaning up after the blown one. a very early oil change will be needed, the turbos have 1 year warranty IF FITTED PROPERLY.

I have heard him say that your turbo is one of the most needed on the market as it is fitted to quite a lot of cars.

PM me if you want more info

Rugbyman





Six hundred euro??

I'm picking up one after the new year.....Getting it for €400..And that's a re-con one as well...

It is for an Octavia though,,so there might be a price difference between both.





.

1 person has thanked this post
JJJJNR Registered User
#7

That price is probably ex vat.

mullingar Registered User
#8

racso1975 said:
Guy on here called ror knows everything about these cars


Close, its "Row" the resident expert on the DV6 engine (aka the 1560cc HDI)

racso1975 Registered User
#9

mullingar said:
Close, its "Row" the resident expert on the DV6 engine (aka the 1560cc HDI)


Dont know what your on about thats what i wrote in my post

Row Registered User
#10

If the correct actions are not taken when a turbo blows on these engines then the new turbo will not last long.
These engines need the correct grade of oil used (5w 30 fully syn low ash oil)
and the oil&filter should be renewed every 9k mls (15k kms) or less.

Print off the below info and give it to the garage thats replacing your
turbo...
You should be able to pick up a reconditioned turbo for around €400.

Peugeot would'nt even charge 2 grand for this job....
Fitting a turbo including following the below actions should take more than a days work.


This is strainer that MUST be removed when replacing a turbo on the Dv6 engine.




EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING FITTING TURBO'S ON THE 1.6 HDI ENGINE

RE TURBOCHARGERS: 753420-5005S, 762328-5002S & 49173-07506
PSA 1.6HDi TURBOS 2004+

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE FITTING THIS TURBOCHARGER!.
The PSA 1.6HDi, DV6TED4 engine is a highly sophisticated low emission, high power diesel unit. It is used in many different applications; Citroen, Ford, Mazda, Mini, Peugeot and Volvo.
Due to the engine being clean and powerful, it is designed to operate at high temperatures, which demands the very best lubricants. These lubricants must be maintained in peak condition and PSA have fitted an in-line oil filter to the turbo and an integral oil cooler/oil filter to this engine to ensure this. However there is a drawback to this; reports in the field indicate that if the engine has been operated with the oil level below normal limits, this may potentially cause a high concentration of carbon in the oil. This may then lead to blockage of the in-line filter, oil cooler and main oil filter, which will eventually bring on premature turbo failure. The vacuum pump may also suffer from this same type of contamination.
However, due to its high operating speeds (230,000 revs per minute) the turbo will usually be the first to show signs of damage. This can happen from 30,000 miles onwards if the oil level and correct oil change intervals/procedure have not been adhered to.
Experience to date suggests that the carbon build up in this application is particularly difficult to remove.
To try to eliminate the potential for further turbo failure, the following MUST be undertaken by the garage, in addition to the normal recommended turbo fitting instructions:

• TURBO OIL FEED PIPE & BANJO BOLTS MUST BE CHANGED.
• OIL PUMP SHOULD BE REMOVED AND CHECKED.
• SUMP MUST BE REMOVED AND OIL STRAINER (PICK UP) SHOULD BE CLEANED/REPLACED BEFORE RE-FITTING NEW TURBO TO REMOVE RESIDUAL CARBON/SLUDGE BUILD UP.
• OIL COOLER AND FILTER ASSEMBLY SHOULD BE REMOVED AND CLEANED.
• REMOVE CHARGE AIR COOLER, DRAIN OFF ANY OIL INSIDE AND CLEAN THOROUGHLY.
• CHECK AND CLEAN ALL INLET AND OUTLET HOSES.
• IF OIL HAS LEAKED FROM PREVIOUSLY DAMAGED TURBO OR ENGINE INTO EXHAUST, CHECK EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR CONTAMINATION/BLOCKAGE (CATALYST, DPF etc.)
• REMOVE BRAKE VACUUM PUMP TO CHECK FOR DEBRIS/CARBON AND CLEAN AS NECESSARY.
• FIT NEW OIL FILTER AND OIL.
• CHECK FUEL INJECTOR GASKETS ARE NOT BURNT OR COMPROMISED. REPLACE AS NECESSARY
• OIL FLOW MUST BE CHECKED:
1. FIT TURBO TO ENGINE LEAVING OIL RETURN PIPE OFF
2. INSTALL A LONGER OIL RETURN LINE AND FEED INTO SUITABLE CONTAINER
3. START ENGINE AND IDLE FOR 60 SECONDS, THEN SWITCH OFF ENGINE
4. MEASURE VOLUME OF OIL IN CONTAINER - 60 SECONDS OF IDLE SHOULD PRODUCE AT LEAST 0.3 LITRES OF OIL.
5. REPEAT TEST TWO OR THREE TIMES TO CONFIRM OIL FLOW IS CORRECT
6. DURING THIS TEST, DO NOT ALLOW ENGINE TO RUN BELOW MINIMUM OIL LEVEL!!
7. VEHICLE SHOULD BE DRIVEN 20 to 30 MILES THEN THE OIL/FILTER REPLACED AGAIN.

More info...
Firstly put a good oil flush in the engine for about 20-30 mins. Drain engine oil and change filter. Refill oil with a quality fully synthetic oil.
This can help prevent intial turbo failure.
If Turbo has failed: Remove turbo, oil feed pipe to turbo, oil return pipe from turbo, brake vacuum pump, engine sump and oil pickup pipe/filter.
Where turbo pipe bolts to engine block, blow through engine block to clear any debris that might be in there. Fully clean the brake vacuum pump as
you will find that there is swarf collected. Fully clean out the sump along with the intercooler. Discard the sump pickup and fit new pickup and filter.
fit new turbo oil feed and oil return pipes from turbo. Fit new banjo bolts on oil feed pipe, but firsly remove the gauze filter that is in the banjo
bolt that secures pipe to block. fit new turbo, oil filter and good quality fully synthetic engine oil. Use vehicle for approx 500 miles,
then add oil flush as above and fit new oil and filter

black__bamboo Registered User
#11

Hey there,

i have a 04 Peugeot 307 HDi which a bought at a dealer last August. Yesterday i failed the NCT due to a leaking turbo amongst other things and i am raging as i had brought it back to the dealer several times questioning the emissions system and was pretty much fobbed off. I am not a mechanic and have an embarassing lack of knowledge about autos in general but i knew that little things were not right from the start, such as zero power on hills, cooling fan coming on ALL the time (like after five minutes of driving in winter), windows fogging up constantly and the smell of fumes in the cabin. then on Christmas Day last while driving on the M20 the engine light came on, car started to sputter and the anti-pollution fault message came on in the dash. Brought it back to the dealer after doing a bit of research on the internet and i specifically asked them if there was a problem with the FAP filter. Was told that the issue was resolved by a clean of the sensor and to come back for a 'clean out of the exhaust' if i had any further trouble. Granted the warning lights went away but the fan continued to come on regularly and my fuel economy took a nose dive. What i want to know is the cost or fixing a leaking turbo and if i have any comeback with this Sh*^^y dealer who did not take my complaints seriously while i was under warranty (3 months)? The NCT mechanic stated that the emissions were not making it to the exhaust and instead were being inhaled by me and my two small kids. He also informed me that a griding sound which occurs when i make a hard-right turn (and which i also had 'checked out' at the dealers many months prior to this) was actually my right wheel butting against the brake pipe which is an issue that could have lead my brakes to fail. Can i sue the dealer?! I'm hopping mad at this point... any advice please..

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!