scoopmine Registered User

Hi all
Doing my thesis on the GAA and Irish Masculinity. It is an interesting topic. Reading boys like the Waterford Footballers, The Club, Donal Og's autobiography and plenty more some not related to GAA. Intend on visiting the GAA museum. Thinking of including people like Paul Galvin, Donal Og, MJ Tierney and the mort players who are high profile.I was wondering does anyone have any ideas or places I could also research!

Many thanks lads!

Alaska1 Closed Account

M.J Tierney and Conor Mortimer high profile ?

1 person has thanked this post
mrgaa1 Registered User

Cardinal O'Fiach Library in Armagh - http://www.ofiaich.ie/
It has a lot of GAA stuff in it as well as access to people who are very knowledgable.

Et Cetera Registered User

scoopmine said:
Hi all
Doing my thesis on the GAA and Irish Masculinity. It is an interesting topic. Reading boys like the Waterford Footballers, The Club, Donal Og's autobiography and plenty more some not related to GAA. Intend on visiting the GAA museum. Thinking of including people like Paul Galvin, Donal Og, MJ Tierney and the mort players who are high profile.I was wondering does anyone have any ideas or places I could also research!

Many thanks lads!

re: Waterford: The book was tame in comparison to what it's actually like

dasium Registered User

vast majority of clubs also have histories published... know the county board in my county was compiling them..

pipelaser Registered User

You Must read "Hurling: The Revolution Years" by Denis Walsh

Its probably the greatest GAA book ever written. (And I've read a lot of them)

The reason its relevant is that it goes deep into how they(Clare,Wexford,Offaly & Waterford) prepared for their All Irelands, with some teams getting in a councillor.
She made the Wexford lads cry, the Offaly lads made her cry ("This **** isnt gonna work on us sweetcheeks" and so on!!)

An absolutely cracking book, one of the most insightful in the GAA.

Brillant lads

Thank you.

dcr22B Registered User

Alaska1 said:
M.J Tierney and Conor Mortimer high profile ?
You can ask the two lads on Twitter.

They'd only be too glad of the attention

mrgaa1 Registered User

pipelaser said:
You Must read "Hurling: The Revolution Years" by Denis Walsh

Its probably the greatest GAA book ever written. (And I've read a lot of them)

The reason its relevant is that it goes deep into how they(Clare,Wexford,Offaly & Waterford) prepared for their All Irelands, with some teams getting in a councillor.
She made the Wexford lads cry, the Offaly lads made her cry ("This **** isnt gonna work on us sweetcheeks" and so on!!)

An absolutely cracking book, one of the most insightful in the GAA.

Just ordered the book from Amazon - £2.80 free delivery to a UK address

pipelaser Registered User

mrgaa1 said:
Just ordered the book from Amazon - £2.80 free delivery to a UK address

How ya finding it?

TCDStudent1 Registered User

scoopmine said:
Hi all

Many thanks lads!

What exactly is your thesis on? What is the research question?

deisedude Registered User

I know this is a skit but i think it sums up the link between masculinity and the GAA in a pretty funny way!

2 people have thanked this post

Well lads

My question and area is
The GAA and Changing Constructions of Contemporary Masculinity, Role Models and Irishness.
Getting on OK about 5000 words in but if anyone has any help,tips, sites or references would be greatly appreciated.

GAAman Registered User

scoopmine said:
Well lads

My question and area is
The GAA and Changing Constructions of Contemporary Masculinity, Role Models and Irishness.
Getting on OK about 5000 words in but if anyone has any help,tips, sites or references would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds interesting, will you be sharing it here?

Also out of curiosity are you a psychology student?

Ye I would have no problem sharing it when it's finished.

No I am a humanities student!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!