mariaalice Registered User

Just wondering because my daughters and all her friends and acquittance's are going to college, no one appeared to be going in to any sort of training or getting a job and even those of her friends who did apprenticeships are going to college to top up their qualification to a degree.

So I predict that by say 2040 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college. ( changed it a bit )

Is that a good Idea and will it save Ireland

listermint Registered User

You dont have a Degree?

EWE

2 people have thanked this post
py2006 Registered User

I only just got mine and I am just over 30!

Pherekydes Registered User

My sister-in-law's kids won't be getting degrees, and they'll still be under 30 in 2020.

Unless they buy them on the internet.

Frank Black Registered User

mariaalice said:
Just wondering because my daughters and all her friends and acquittance's are going to college, no one appeared to be going in to any sort of training or getting a job and even those of her friends who did apprenticeships are going to college to top up there qualification to a degree.

So I predict that by say 2020 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college.

Is that a good Idea and will it save Ireland

Extrapolating from a small set of data (i.e my daughters and all her friends and acquittance's) to come to a conclusion on an entire generation of under 30's does not stand up to any scrutiny.

In other words your 'prediction' is almost certainly incorrect.

8 people have thanked this post
Dancor Registered User

Art degrees dont count

5 people have thanked this post

Dancor said:
Art degrees dont count

What about Arts degrees?

6 people have thanked this post
themadchef Closed Account

Will there be anyone under 30 left in the country is probably a more relevant question.

We will educate them but we wont be able to employ them.

FatherLen Registered User

acquaintances????

sealgaire Registered User

Pherekydes said:
My sister-in-law's kids won't be getting degrees, and they'll still be under 30 in 2020.

Unless they buy them on the internet.

Why not just say your brothers kids? or your neices & Nephews? Trying to distance yourself from these undesirables?

2 people have thanked this post
I Heart Internet Closed Account

Short answer - no.

As someone says above, you're basing your idea on a small sample. There arestill plenty of areas in the country where going to third level is the exception rather than the rule.

Also "degree" is a very generic term. Will there be a degree in housepainting, plumbing, professional golf?

1 person has thanked this post
jester77 Registered User

mariaalice said:
So I predict that by say 2040 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college.

I doubt it, really can't imagine 4 year olds having a degree

21 people have thanked this post

And another thing! all her female friend are doing an Arts type degree or a fine Art/design type course, all her male friends are doing engineering/ computers/ science type courses.

sealgaire said:
Why not just say your brothers kids? or your neices & Nephews? Trying to distance yourself from these undesirables?

If they were my brother's kids I'd say my nephews and neices, but they're my wife's sister's kids.

Yes.

Prospective Employer: How do you feel you're qualified for this job?
Nephew-in-law: I got a 'A' in LC maths.
Employer: But it was at foundation level...

My post was a bit tongue in cheek ( this is After hours )

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!