mariaalice Registered User
#1

Just wondering because my daughters and all her friends and acquittance's are going to college, no one appeared to be going in to any sort of training or getting a job and even those of her friends who did apprenticeships are going to college to top up their qualification to a degree.

So I predict that by say 2040 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college. ( changed it a bit )

.
Is that a good Idea and will it save Ireland

listermint Registered User
#2

You dont have a Degree?

EWE

2 people have thanked this post
py2006 Registered User
#3

I only just got mine and I am just over 30!

Pherekydes Registered User
#4

My sister-in-law's kids won't be getting degrees, and they'll still be under 30 in 2020.

Unless they buy them on the internet.

Frank Black Registered User
#5

mariaalice said:
Just wondering because my daughters and all her friends and acquittance's are going to college, no one appeared to be going in to any sort of training or getting a job and even those of her friends who did apprenticeships are going to college to top up there qualification to a degree.

So I predict that by say 2020 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college.

.
Is that a good Idea and will it save Ireland



Extrapolating from a small set of data (i.e my daughters and all her friends and acquittance's) to come to a conclusion on an entire generation of under 30's does not stand up to any scrutiny.

In other words your 'prediction' is almost certainly incorrect.

8 people have thanked this post
Dancor Registered User
#6

Art degrees dont count

5 people have thanked this post
Pherekydes Registered User
#7

Dancor said:
Art degrees dont count


What about Arts degrees?

6 people have thanked this post
themadchef Closed Account
#8

Will there be anyone under 30 left in the country is probably a more relevant question.

We will educate them but we wont be able to employ them.

FatherLen Registered User
#9

acquaintances????

sealgaire Registered User
#10

Pherekydes said:
My sister-in-law's kids won't be getting degrees, and they'll still be under 30 in 2020.

Unless they buy them on the internet.



Why not just say your brothers kids? or your neices & Nephews? Trying to distance yourself from these undesirables?

2 people have thanked this post
I Heart Internet Closed Account
#11

Short answer - no.

As someone says above, you're basing your idea on a small sample. There arestill plenty of areas in the country where going to third level is the exception rather than the rule.

Also "degree" is a very generic term. Will there be a degree in housepainting, plumbing, professional golf?

1 person has thanked this post
jester77 Registered User
#12

mariaalice said:
So I predict that by say 2040 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college.


I doubt it, really can't imagine 4 year olds having a degree

21 people have thanked this post
mariaalice Registered User
#13

And another thing! all her female friend are doing an Arts type degree or a fine Art/design type course, all her male friends are doing engineering/ computers/ science type courses.

Pherekydes Registered User
#14

sealgaire said:
Why not just say your brothers kids? or your neices & Nephews? Trying to distance yourself from these undesirables?


If they were my brother's kids I'd say my nephews and neices, but they're my wife's sister's kids.

Yes.

Prospective Employer: How do you feel you're qualified for this job?
Nephew-in-law: I got a 'A' in LC maths.
Employer: But it was at foundation level...

mariaalice Registered User
#15

My post was a bit tongue in cheek ( this is After hours )

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!