dnme Registered User

Well I decided to go check the shoes on my 98 Corolla. Took off 1 rear hub/drum and the shoes are fine. But the hub will not go back on whatsoever.

I have tried adjusting the tensioner full both ways, tapping the shoes into position, tanking handbrake on / off etc. The drum just does not want to fit over the shoes.

Is there a knack to this?

bmw535d Registered User

dnme Registered User

are you being serious?

bmw535d Registered User

well ya know what they say "if you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

dnme Registered User

got it sorted. dam adjuster

bmw535d Registered User

dnme said:
got it sorted. dam adjuster

did you use my favourite tool in the garage?

dnme Registered User

bmw535d said:
did you use my favourite tool in the garage?

oh holy god no

Plug Registered User

Is it a ratchet type adjuster, some times they came be a pain?

dnme Registered User

Plug said:
Is it a ratchet type adjuster, some times they came be a pain?

Yea the toothed fella, I kept adjusting it the wrong way. The correct adjustment had a lot of resistance and took ages.

1 person has thanked this post
Plug Registered User

Reminds me of FAS, the BMW/VW/Audi lads don't really know how to do the drum brakes since drum brakes are not on most of them cars. Saying that I've done loads of drum brakes and they are a pain compared to disk.

dnme Registered User

are rear disk brakes the same as fronts? I thought I read somewhere that there was a bit more to them

pajero12 Registered User

Yeah There the exact same!

Avns1s Registered User

Little bit more complex as they will often have a "drum type" arrangement for the handbrake inside the actual disc.

Plug Registered User

dnme said:
are rear disk brakes the same as fronts? I thought I read somewhere that there was a bit more to them

Theres a hand brake mechanism build in, you need a special tool to replace the rear brake pads.

Plug Registered User

Avns1s said:
Little bit more complex as they will often have a "drum type" arrangement for the handbrake inside the actual disc.

That would be Merc's and BMW.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!