• Yes (62.37%)
  • No (19.59%)
  • Windows is for PC not for phone! (10.82%)
  • Whats Windows Phone 7? (7.22%)
evolutionqy7 Registered User
#3,211

I think there could be possibilites of more features. I think they did a slightly sneaky one and devoted all the resources to WP8, even execs at Microsoft admitted that they ran out of time with WP8 as they also wanted to add a notification centre. So I think they ran out of time to update WP7 handsets too. Its either stupid hope but Id expect to see maybe more updates after 7.8 maybe?

I mean if they decided that their going to forget about WP7 owners and give them a crappy update they would have said so. Instead their keeping quiet and working on what can actually be delivered.

2 people have thanked this post
Digitalism Registered User
#3,212

Anyone know of any apps similar to cabbage on the windows phone market that works with meteor? IM having trouble with SendU and Webtexter!

balkieb2002 Registered User
#3,213

I'm on the lookout for a Christmas present for my father (late 60's) and I know he would like a touchscreen phone but just trying to find a good quality and easy to use phone.

I'm just after noticing that the Nokia Lumia 800 is going for fairly cheap these days but I have no expierience with the Windows Phone OS having had iPhone or Android phones overs the years.

Whats the Windows Phone OS like as a user expierince compared to say iOS which I think is very user friendly (unlike imo an android)?

PaulieC Registered User
#3,214

balkieb2002 said:

Whats the Windows Phone OS like as a user expierince compared to say iOS which I think is very user friendly (unlike imo an android)?


Very simple and user friendly. It's similar to iOS in the sense that it lets you do very little outside of the norm like Android does.

1 person has thanked this post
balkieb2002 Registered User
#3,215

Reading up about it, I'm getting indifferent reports but the later updates (and the impending large update) seems to have sorted a lot of the issues out.

Whats the battery life like on the Lumia 800? People are saying it requires a daily charge while others are saying that the updates have improved it. I'd say it would be moderate to low use no games/streaming, just some wifi/data browsing and general phone use (calls/messaging).

Alanstrainor Moderator
#3,216

So, my lg optimus 7 has been mysteriously rebooting itself, and once it reboots it will just hang on the LG screen indefinitely. The only way that seemed to get it back, was to power it off, and leave it off over night/for a number of hours. After some investigation, I've finally realised that it's actually overheating, and dying as a result .

I've had it for a year and a half ish, and it owes me nothing at this stage, but damn it, it's a nice piece of kit, and for the first time in the last 10 years I feel I don't want to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do...but it's becoming a pain to live with at this stage, so the end is near.

PaulieC Registered User
#3,217

balkieb2002 said:
Reading up about it, I'm getting indifferent reports but the later updates (and the impending large update) seems to have sorted a lot of the issues out.

Whats the battery life like on the Lumia 800? People are saying it requires a daily charge while others are saying that the updates have improved it. I'd say it would be moderate to low use no games/streaming, just some wifi/data browsing and general phone use (calls/messaging).


For the price, it's a hell of a bargain. I have the white one (now ony 149 in meteor on payg, I paid almost that about 6 months ago on an 18 month contract) and it really is a beautiful piece of kit, definitely nicer than any Android handset and easily the equal of the iphone in design terms (IMO). My usage would be pretty similar to what you describe and I usually have 1/3 - 1/2 battery left at the end of the day (all updates installed). I am looking forward to getting the 7.8 update so I can have a wee bit of W8 while waiting for the 920 to get to these shores

2 people have thanked this post
Bambi Registered User
#3,218

Alanstrainor said:
So, my lg optimus 7 has been mysteriously rebooting itself, and once it reboots it will just hang on the LG screen indefinitely. The only way that seemed to get it back, was to power it off, and leave it off over night/for a number of hours. After some investigation, I've finally realised that it's actually overheating, and dying as a result .

I've had it for a year and a half ish, and it owes me nothing at this stage, but damn it, it's a nice piece of kit, and for the first time in the last 10 years I feel I don't want to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do...but it's becoming a pain to live with at this stage, so the end is near.


I'm riding my Optimus 7 for all its worth, mainly because I'm on the fence about WP8. It's had some hard knocks and still is hanging in there, we'll see how long it lasts I guess.

1 person has thanked this post
Alanstrainor Moderator
#3,219

Bambi said:
I'm riding my Optimus 7 for all its worth, mainly because I'm on the fence about WP8. It's had some hard knocks and still is hanging in there, we'll see how long it lasts I guess.


Mine is a beast, I drop the yoke all the time. That may or may not have been the reason for it's current issue. But at least now I know what causes it to have a fit. If I could get another few months out of this one I'd be flying. Don't want to jump ship just as WP8 is out, want things to settle a bit (and for prices to drop) before making a decision on whether to stick with Windows or go to Android.

2 people have thanked this post
gman2k Registered User
#3,220

My optimus 7 owes me nothing either, and is more stable now than when I got it, I might give wp8 a look in 6 months time when the os has been ironed out and prices drop.
I can't see any worthwhile reason to drop a ball of money on WP 8 right now.

Do-more Registered User
#3,221

balkieb2002 said:
I'm on the lookout for a Christmas present for my father (late 60's) and I know he would like a touchscreen phone but just trying to find a good quality and easy to use phone.

I'm just after noticing that the Nokia Lumia 800 is going for fairly cheap these days but I have no expierience with the Windows Phone OS having had iPhone or Android phones overs the years.

Whats the Windows Phone OS like as a user expierince compared to say iOS which I think is very user friendly (unlike imo an android)?

I have an LG Optimus 7 and it was my first smartphone. I found it very easy to get used to and much more so than trying to figure out the ins and outs of Android 4.0 on my son's tablet.

I bought the wife a Nokia 710 a while back as her first smartphone and she picked it up very quickly as well.

The only negative I have with WP7 is the tiny font size used for contacts phone numbers. In general use it's not a problem but if I need to read the number to use it say on a land line I find it nearly impossible. My eyesight isn't that bad I only have very mild reading glasses so if your father is short sighted it might be an issue to look out for but in the general scheme of things it's a small one for what is otherwise a very easy to use OS.

gman2k Registered User
#3,222
1 person has thanked this post
luketitz Registered User
#3,223

I like the look of the Lumia 920, which appears to trump competitors in some (if not many) aspects.. wonder how much it'll retail here for?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/hardware/nokia-takes-a-dig-at-competition-at-lumia-920-launch/articleshow/17982961.cms

Foxhole Norman Registered User
#3,224

luketitz said:
I like the look of the Lumia 920, which appears to trump competitors in some (if not many) aspects.. wonder how much it'll retail here for?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/hardware/nokia-takes-a-dig-at-competition-at-lumia-920-launch/articleshow/17982961.cms


I believe its ~620. At that price I can't see much adopting it over say a Note 2 or S3.

Edit: Expansys has it listed for 720!

1 person has thanked this post
luketitz Registered User
#3,225

Foxhole Norman said:
I believe its ~620. At that price I can't see much adopting it over say a Note 2 or S3.

Edit: Expansys has it listed for 720!


Thanks, jeez you're right, they really are pricing themselves out of a recovery. Shame.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!