DublinWriter Registered User

Well, I've put off the event off for years.

Having once worked in Dundrum 20 years ago, I ventured out today to check out Dundrum shopping centre.

Holy sh*te. I was like the Mammon mothership had landed in a small Southern Dublin Suberb and was proceeding to eat up the environs. John Carpenter would have been inspired.

I've been to the Bullring in Birmingham which at least does try and make aesthetic amends to it's former facility as a major hub-Royal Mail depot, but the Dundrum Shopping centre is something else again.

It's the 'f*ck you' of the Celtic Tiger ethos writ-large in prefab-concrete. Shoe-horned into the formed Pye-Centre is has, like Saturn, devoured it's children and gobbled up several neighbouring environs.

I'll be back.

dudara Administrator

Moved to Dublin City

dudara

Jarren Registered User

hardly customer issue tbh

MagicMarker Banned

DublinWriter said:

Having once worked in Dundrum 20 years ago, I ventured out today to check out Dundrum shopping centre.

Holy sh*te. I was like the Mammon mothership had landed in a small Southern Dublin Suberb and was proceeding to eat up the environs. John Carpenter would have been inspired.

I've been to the Bullring in Birmingham which at least does try and make aesthetic amends to it's former facility as a major hub-Royal Mail depot, but the Dundrum Shopping centre is something else again.

It's the 'f*ck you' of the Celtic Tiger ethos writ-large in prefab-concrete. Shoe-horned into the formed Pye-Centre is has, like Saturn, devoured it's children and gobbled up several neighbouring environs.

I'll be back.

You didn't go to the pub on your way home by any chance?

5 people have thanked this post
lilblackdress Registered User

I worked there for 3 years and the place seems to get smaller and smaller as you spend more time there..... we had people in every day asking us how to get to some place including an exit!! Its a cool place though! I loved saying i worked there although it's been attracting a not so nice crowd the last year which is dragging the place down sadly!

phasers Registered User

I've been there once and I absoluely hated it, felt very claustrophobic and badly laid out.

cosmic Registered User

My OH and I went there once in winter. It was bloody cold so I was wearing a hat and he had his hood up. A security guy came up to us and told him that he had to either take down his hood or leave. Shocking!

Micilin Muc Registered User

DublinWriter said:

I'll be back.

Dundrum Shopping Centre is the old shopping centre across from the Bank of Ireland and the shops.

Dundrum Town Centre is the new shopping centre.

pikachucheeks Closed Account

phasers said:
I've been there once and I absoluely hated it, felt very claustrophobic and badly laid out.

It is a bit small; All the shops are very close together. There's loads of them, which is a good thing, but if there was more space between them, it'd be more comfortable for shoppers.

Although, I'm pretty sure 90% of people who shop there would rather have less space and more shops, if given the choice

MagicMarker Banned

I didn't like the place personally, there's nothing really there for a man such as myself. I went to the cinema once too and it's really quite poor compared to the likes of Vue in Liffey Valley.

DecentBee Registered User

As someone who grew up in Dundrum/Sandyford, I can't stand to go back there now. I genuinely don't recognise the place. What was once a nice, quiet suburb is now a wasteland of concrete and apartment buildings with that hulking relic of the celtic tiger at the epicentre. Property developers tore down my childhood, basically.

4 people have thanked this post
WindSock Closed Account

Been there once before. Really, every single person is a clone of the stereotypical D4 Ugg boot/ Orange faced/ Backcombed brigade. Mixed with over crowding and rudeness to boot. That was 3 years ago, haven't bothered heading back since. There are no shops there that arean't anywhere else. Except maybe the toy one. I might head along to look at that sometime if I can be bothered.

2 people have thanked this post
bluewolf Category Moderator

I quite like it
The restaurants, cinema and penneys are great!

Tabnabs Registered User

The problem with the new town centre is that the original shopping centre built in 1971, lasted about 34 years and is now redundant. It might seem like a long time, but Pembroke Cottages (for example) were built in 1881 and are still in use today and form the last vestiges of the old village.

It just seems a shame to demolish so much for such a short bit of distraction...

1 person has thanked this post
xzanti Moderator

They do have a great Pennys, all the nice stuff seems to get shipped out there compared to likes of Blanch or Mary Street.. Good selection of restaurants aswel.. That Fangos place is a bit of a rip off though, I tend to avoid it when I'm out there..

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!