J_Wholesale Closed Account
#1

I've been looking online to upgrade my exercise bike to something better, and it is truly painful to compare Irish prices to those in the UK. The bike I've been looking at is the York C301, available at Argos.ie for €577. The same bike at Argos.co.uk is £399, and at Amazon.co.uk, only £319. Neither Argos in the UK nor Amazon will ship the bike to Ireland.

Sometimes all you can do is cry.

I should add that the bike is not available to buy or pick up in an Argos shop, so I can't just cross the border.

J_Wholesale Closed Account
#3



Just spoken to them. They do ship to Ireland, but delivery costs are very expensive. They also don't provide any warranty if delivered to Ireland - pretty much sold as is.

Red Alert Hosted Moderator
#4

I wonder might you be better off getting a second-hand machine from a gym? Usually they use electromagnetic braking rather than belts or pads, so there's little to go wrong once they've been given a quick tune up.

J_Wholesale Closed Account
#5

Interesting suggestion. I'll have to look into that.

91011 Registered User
#6

Your first error is thinking of using Argos - they only selll expensive sh1te as has been proven on boards for many years.

If something goes wrong, do you really expect the pimple faced student in argos to sort it out? or to even advise you on the best bike for you?

Loads of places have bikes - and will give you proper advice too. - thius from 2 seconds on google

http://www.irishsportsdirect.ie/catalog/exercise-bikes

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/ (dublin showrooms)

http://www.peakfitnessireland.com/bikes.html

http://www.vjhomefitness.com/

rubadub Registered User
#7

Wayyy off topic but I would reconsider getting an exercise bike, most recommend against getting a exercise bike/clothes horse in the fitness forum.

J_Wholesale Closed Account
#8

rubadub said:
Wayyy off topic but I would reconsider getting an exercise bike, most recommend against getting a exercise bike/clothes horse in the fitness forum.


Why do you say that? The one I already have I've been using for a couple of months, alongside other exercises of course.

Oryx Moderator
#9

If youre going to spend a lot of money, think about a regular bike and turbo set up. At least you have a real bike then.

1 person has thanked this post
dardhal Registered User
#10

Although this thread is more than two years old now, I am currently feeling the pain myself, as prices of exercise bikes (and to a lesser extent, range of products available) in Ireland are a sad jake compared to the same products across the northern border, or to the other side of the irish sea.

For example, a Pro-form 380 ZLX Exercise Cycle is as low as 249 GBP (less than 300€ at some sites in the UK, delivery included, but in Ireland you are lucky if you can get the same product below 450€. This is not a margin thing, it has to be either irish merchants completely out of reality, or the wholesalers screwing the irish customer with prices well above those they sell to retail shops in the UK.

It's quite sad, but is seems even more disappointing considering there are lots of more necessary things for daily living that are complete rip-offs in Ireland compared to the bigger UK, or somewhere else in the continent.

</rant>

Zardoz Registered User
#11

dardhal said:
Although this thread is more than two years old now, I am currently feeling the pain myself, as prices of exercise bikes (and to a lesser extent, range of products available) in Ireland are a sad jake compared to the same products across the northern border, or to the other side of the irish sea.

For example, a Pro-form 380 ZLX Exercise Cycle is as low as 249 GBP (less than 300€ at some sites in the UK, delivery included, but in Ireland you are lucky if you can get the same product below 450€. This is not a margin thing, it has to be either irish merchants completely out of reality, or the wholesalers screwing the irish customer with prices well above those they sell to retail shops in the UK.

It's quite sad, but is seems even more disappointing considering there are lots of more necessary things for daily living that are complete rip-offs in Ireland compared to the bigger UK, or somewhere else in the continent.

</rant>

You could use deliverme.ie to forward the bike to you for 22 euro .

dardhal Registered User
#12

Zardoz said:
You could use deliverme.ie to forward the bike to you for 22 euro .


Thanks a lot for the hint, although the fare is going to be higher (already waiting for a quote) just because exercise bikes tend to be very heavy items, but surely it will be cheaper than buying the same product from a local (physical or virtual) Irish shop.

dardhal Registered User
#13

dardhal said:
Thanks a lot for the hint, although the fare is going to be higher (already waiting for a quote) just because exercise bikes tend to be very heavy items, but surely it will be cheaper than buying the same product from a local (physical or virtual) Irish shop.


I received a promptly reply to my quote request to deliverme.ie, and it seems they charge 1€ for every Kg. above the 25 Kg. mark. So, for a device weighting 40 Kg., the price for the proxying service would be 37€.

Not very expensive after all, and very worth considering, as the potential savings of buying in UK-only stores more than exceed the additional delivery cost.

noel123ie Registered User
#14

Hi all


Deliverme.ie site seems to be down

Has anyone used other companies?

Thanks
Noel

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!